Old Fashioned ( Historical ) Walking

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Old Fashioned ( Historical ) Walking

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 2:52 pm

I had a flash last nite and remembered an article I was reading while staying in a bothy in the Cairngorms
The article was in an old copy of a climbing and hill walking magazine and was discussing the "Ideal" wardrobe for Scottish winters.
Silk long john top
Worsted wool shirt
Cashmere crew neck
Shetland wool V-neck topped with a Mohair jumper for bulk warmth
Woollen breeches with wool long johns/ 2 or 3 pairs of socks and whether to use rubber soles boots or stay with nails
And of course a long discussion on which was the best outer layer, waxed cotton or plain proofed cotton
The only synthetic mentioned in the article was to say that a pair of proofed nylon pants as a hypothermia layer was valuable it it was going to be a long day.
I realise that I have accumulated most of this system over the years.
Not one mention of the benefits of separate windproof inner layers or what happens if you can't dry out each day
I read this at the time and noted that the article was already 10 years or so old, synthetic clothing was selling well in the shops and Goretex and Helly-Hansen/PeterStorm/Javelin pile had just hit the market but I'd guess that most of the people I met on the hills were still dressing as per the outdated article

The old system does work, in fact I still sometimes pack my old Mohair jumper, but new is so much lighter and much more efficient
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion