Favourite luxury item/s on a walk?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Favourite luxury item/s on a walk?

Postby Fizzygood » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 8:36 pm

My friends and I often stir each other up about the items we take on a walk that are not necessary but part of what we have affectionately called, 'the two kilos of comfort'

Anyone like to share their 'comfort' inventory?

My List

Always some Scotch or Bourbon (with some dry ginger ale)... we had a couple around the coal heater at Lake Vera Hut recently while the weather tried to move the hut a few feet sideways... it was great!

A book

Extra socks

REAL coffee and the plunger attachment for my JetBoil (occasional only - generally take my MSR fuel stove and carrying two stoves is even too much for me!)

Mini long life milk (generally only on shorter walks up to 3 days)

In addition to the above, I have just purchased a mini travel guitar that I intend to take into Pelion Hut soon so I can serenade myself on the heli-pad (with a scotch) :lol:
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Favourite luxury item/s on a walk?

Postby walkinTas » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 9:06 pm

Fizzygood wrote:In addition to the above, I have just purchased a mini travel guitar that I intend to take into Pelion Hut soon so I can serenade myself on the heli-pad (with a scotch) :lol:

:P Just so we all know... What day were you planning to do this?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Fizzygood » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 9:35 pm

Is that so you can avoid me or join me? :lol:
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:27 pm

I guess that depends and what we would be singing and what we might be drinking? :) If we do enough of the second, then the first won't really matter, but I don't fancy a trek back from Pelion with a sore head.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm heading off for 3 days of rain/snow at Cradle Mountain starting tomorrow. Here's some of the luxuries my wife and I will be carrying in:
  • 1 litre fresh milk
  • 250ml double cream
  • Freshly baked chocolate fudge cake
  • 4 month old girl
  • 2 year old girl

We'll be meeting friends who are (I hope) bringing the wine.

But don't tell Corvus. ;-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:56 pm

A tub big enough to take a sponge bath in :-) People think I'm nuts carrying it, but they sure are jealous when I'm clean......LOL
the_camera_poser

Postby Steve » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:01 am

I'll be at Cradle Mountain on Saturday. No idea what we'll being doing up there yet. :roll:
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 7:56 am

Son of a Beach wrote:I'm heading off for 3 days of rain/snow at Cradle Mountain starting tomorrow. Here's some of the luxuries my wife and I will be carrying in:
  • 1 litre fresh milk
  • 250ml double cream
  • 4 month old girl
  • 2 year old girl

ah, just about to set off. I forgot to include on the above list: two teddy bears, a thomas the tank engine, a giraffe and 5 books. Yikes my packs are heavy this morning!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Natt » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 8:51 am

A pillow - the full sized kind

I have tried the half sized ones and packing a pillowcase - but its just not the same :(
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 8:55 am

Last edited by Nuts on Thu 28 Oct, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 9:09 am

I'd have to go with fizzygood on the scotch - for walks less than 3 days or so I always carry a couple of cans of scotch & dry - it's nice to set up camp & unwind with a few beverages & a very sociable thing to do (I rarely drink outside of walking tho). For walks of this length I also never leave home without my cryo-vaced scotch fillet steaks (available from good butchers) - the response from people cooking their freeze-dried packets is priceless (especially in huts); smell a freshly cooking steak with onions at the end of a long day & watch the salivary glands start to flow; why punish yourself with horrible food on such short walks when a little extra weight will add so much more pleasure! On a 5 day trip to the Labyrinth this easter (warranted we were base-camping at Lake Elysia) I carried 8 x 400ml cans of scotch & dry & 6 scotch fillet steaks (around 4kg) - luxury worth carrying (& training for big loads on long walks - this is how I justify it anyway, if it needed justifying) :D

Other 'luxuries' include (other than food):
A down or synthetic jacket (I see this as a necessity tho).
My 'Therm-a-rest' inflatable seat (@ 100g or so it always comes with me - makes sitting around at camp a little more comfortable).
My MP3 player (a small cheap version which takes 1 x AAA battery - it also has a radio for weather reports) - stuck in tents it helps relieve boredom.
A book, also to relieve boredom if stuck in the tent.

Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NickD » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 7:49 pm

My pair of Teva Dozers. Nice, light & comfy camp footwear.
Steripen Water purifier - barely use it, but its nice just incase and weighs nothing.
Extra Bog Roll - one day this will save me embarressment and uncomfort.
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joe » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 7:56 pm

I agree with the pillow..up untill i bought my down puffer...I sleep everynight on a Dunlopillow which is superb. (at over $100 it would want to be) but i rate the bundled up puffer jacket as being 80% as good. :D
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby whiskeylover » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 8:52 pm

We take quite a few things that I suppose you could consider as luxuries because we used to be able to walk without them, but not only do they add to comfort I think they add to safety too, as added comfort equals being less tired and better able to handle the rigours of the walking? Thank God we can now afford these things - as you get older you're probably less likely to go without some comfort for the fragile body.

Down jacket (MD) - evening wear, mostly on hut walks as I'm scared of getting it wet - doubles as pillow
Exped Downmat 7 - soooooooo comfortable. Also has bag that can double as pillow, down outer stuffed with clothes.
Medicinal liquids, depending on length of walk - wine, port, muscat, tokay or whiskey - also depends on who is coming with us - no use wasting good whiskey on those who don't appreciate it (eh, corvus!).
Leki poles - I used to scoff at people who walked with poles until I tried them - power up hills with a pack on, depth checker for bogs, balance for stability - only a pain when scrambling over rock scree.
Crocs and hut booties - in combination keep feet dry and warm around virtually any camp site and weigh very little.
Extra socks and underwear - although need less underwear now that I've bought X Static MD quickdry, antibacterial and icebreaker gear
Fresh food, e.g. steak, vegies, zucchini , cheese and sometimes avocado, salmon rillette for first couple of days in chicken feed light flexible cold pack. Jealousy from others is worth the extra weight - sometimes we even share a little to make friends with our fellow walkers. P.S. Steak can be sold for a rather large profit on some tracks!
Lots of other things that could be considered as not necessary, but I'm happier to be safe and come home with a dry (not necessarily clean) set of clothes still in my pack. I'm satisfied that we're not going over the top weight wise - we managed to do South Coast Track for seven days with three of us and some fresh food with starting weight of under 18kg each - that's with my sister taking three books! I refused to carry them when we decided to take some weight off her later in the walk. By the way though, we're all small (under 5'6" and skinny) so all three of us fit into the first arrow tent, with the addition of a light weight sheet of ?something like ground sheet and guy ropes as a shelter for cooking and squatting under in the rain.
Love my pack towl too - being stinky and unhygienic should not be part of the bushwalking experience.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 11:44 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:I'm heading off for 3 days of rain/snow at Cradle Mountain starting tomorrow. Here's some of the luxuries my wife and I will be carrying in:
  • 1 litre fresh milk
  • 250ml double cream
  • 4 month old girl
  • 2 year old girl

ah, just about to set off. I forgot to include on the above list: two teddy bears, a thomas the tank engine, a giraffe and 5 books. Yikes my packs are heavy this morning!

...and, another thing I forgot to mention is the 2 dozen disposable nappies.

Although carrying the used nappies back out wouldn't qualify as one of my 'favourite luxury items', that's for sure. ;-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:57 pm

I've just remembered (from another topic)...

I once carried a remote controlled boat up to the Walls of Jerusalem. I remember the first time I went in to the Walls (well, second time after I got horribly ill after getting most of the way there the first time), I thought to myself that with all the little lakes, pools and channels, this would be an ideal place for my remote controlled boat, and I swore to myself that I would bring the boat next time I went in.

Well, next time was some years later, and I was well beyond remote controlled boats, but I I thought I'd do it anyhow. The safest way to pack the boat was in its original box, which took up a lot of space, so I had to carry a second small day pack on my front to fit all my other gear in. It wasn't heavy (mostly foam packing in the box).

After putting the boat in the water in the pool of Bethesda (I think - it was a long time ago), I motored it out into the middle where it promptly broke down, and it never worked again since. It took a lot of stone/stick throwing and just waiting before it eventually drifted back to shore.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:34 pm

soab why did you not just sink it(oops sory fogot leave no trace)wish had been there though :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby corvus » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:38 pm

Fizzygood do tell which guitar did you buy, been lookin to do some cookin or even some sedate stuff to annoy the neigbours at camp :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:52 pm

Has to be that which is contained in the dedicated container all else shrinks to insignificance when compared to "medicinal liquids"-- poofy pillow ? extra knickers?extra bog roll whats wrong with snow or lichen? real food this is deb and surprise peas country ? so get real what do St Bernard's carry on their rescue missions in the Alps? I will tell you a dedicated container marked XXX. :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tas-man » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 11:19 am

My favourite luxury item (one of which) that has travelled with me on every walk for the past 38 years is my Blues Harp harmonica. I still enjoy the effect it has, on folk who have never previously walked with me, to suddenly hear "Scotland the Brave" and such like sounding out as we puff our way up a mountain track - why waste lots of good heavy breathing when you can make music with it 8)
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

!

Postby Fizzygood » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 3:45 pm

Corvus, guitar is a SilverTone... McCanns Music $179 on special (no affiliation!)

It is pretty small and has a good sound... Not as good as my Maton of course but for what it is....

Weight is roughly 2.5k I think. I am going to make a waterproof bag for it and devise a way to fasten to my pack... it will last until I take a cropper backwards sometime :lol:

It will be coming to Pelion with me very soon...

(poor quality pic below taken with my phone)
Attachments
Image023.jpg
Image023.jpg (12.98 KiB) Viewed 14457 times
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 8:34 pm

Fizzygood thanks for that info I will check out my local music shop and my online shop ,tas-man who would have thought Scotland The Brave on a Blues Harp hope you bend the last note and hold it .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tas-man » Thu 02 Oct, 2008 11:45 am

Talking luxury items and "harps", some of you might recall the story about local harpist Christina Sonnemann who took a small celtic harp along the Overland Track in December 2006. Her very entertaining story, recorded at a concert at Clarendon House is on her YouTube site linked here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsfDRGgwPAg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MountainMule » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 4:16 pm

I am trying to decide whether a good book [ paperback of course] is a luxury or a necessity. But I always carry one; and now that I am a Suduko convert, a book of puzzles as well. Only a few grams more, I tell myself.

But my real luxury item is my 'little' SSB and shortwave radio; this gives me marine weather forecasts, and of course in Tassie and similar areas this provides a decent picture of what you're going to encounter [ translating the marine information on to land ]. Luxury? I am not sure. I could argue that my GPS is a luxury too. Where do you draw the line? Do we put these items into the safety 'basket along with an EPIRB? Strictly speaking, I guess a GPS is a luxury, because we all carry a compass and map [ and know how to use 'em].
I have to discipline myself.

MountainMule
MountainMule
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion