Cushion Plants

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Cushion Plants

Postby Marky » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 6:36 am

Just returned from a weekend up the Snowy Range. Stayed at Nevada Peak inbetween trips to Sny Nth and Sth.
Anyway I have heard that this is a sensitive area very exposed to "trampling" And the ammount of cushion plants up there with huge footprints sized dead patches in the centre of them is a bit sad.

Do people realize how sensitive these plants are?? I know it isnt always possible to avoid standing on them, but in a few cases (photos to come later) there were a few dead ones on the edges of the tarns aparantly used as an easy place to stand while filling water....

Just want people to be aware of their actions and next time you go to place a foot on a soft delicate alpine plant think about what the consequences will be for that plant!
Attachments
DSCF7369.JPG
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Cushion Plants

Postby tasadam » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 8:56 am

It is indeed a sad thing.
When I was at the Walls once, there was (among many people) a mother and son there - the kid was about 12, clearly not happy at being where he was, and was making a deliberate effort to step on a few of these plants on the side of the track. I would have loved to drum some sense into him but these days even talking to them in the wrong tone and you can end up on an assault charge.
Was up there a year later and could still see some of the indentations.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Marky » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm

It is a very fine line between dragging unwilling kids into the bush and trying to educate or get their interests up in things that interest us. I know I will try to get my 3 year old son into the bush when he is a bit older, but if he isnt into it i'd like to think I wont drag him places unwillingly.

Still , out there where you were, a quick slap to the side of the boys head and something like "watch where your stepping boy" before legging it quick fast into the hills wouldnt have been totally uncalled for..... :twisted:
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasadam » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 12:41 pm

Marky wrote:<snip>Still , out there where you were, a quick slap to the side of the boys head and something like "watch where your stepping boy" before legging it quick fast into the hills wouldnt have been totally uncalled for..... :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Bushwalking Discussion