Peter Treseder?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Peter Treseder?

Postby kanangra » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 2:51 pm

What has become of him? I haven't heard a thing for the last 10 years or so when questions were first raised. Personally I always found some of his claims very hard to accept.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Peter Treseder?

Postby Jaala » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 8:44 pm

He no longer has an article on Wikipedia. One way to limit the wrong kind of attention I guess.
:roll:
Jaala
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby johnrs » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 9:08 am

I would imagine he is busy bringing up a family.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby photohiker » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 10:35 am

Some info here: http://www.coolrunning.com.au/ultra/treseder.shtml

His book came out in 2000 and is still available, apparently he already had kids by then, he was 42, so about 56 now.

Probably running up some mountains in Alaska and arm wrestling polar bears. :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 12:18 pm

Sad really because there is no doubt he is a very able and athletic outdoor adventurer. For some reason he felt that wasn't enough?

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 2:12 pm

Yes, I think his absence from high profile adventures over the past decade is an admission that some or all of his solo trips were exaggerated or worse. The Inside Sport article, from 2001, seems the best summary: http://www.coolrunning.com.au/ultra/treseder1.shtml

Interestingly, I've heard a story of someone deliberately giving him some false information on a pass -- telling him a route would go when in fact he would have been faced with a 100m cliff. At some time after this route Treseder claimed to have followed the route with no troubles -- solo of course -- which confirmed that he had not in fact done it.

This is what happens when our aims are self aggrandisement or external praise. Perhaps even when the focus is on "man versus wild". But for those of us who go bush for the simple pleasure it brings, there's no need for records or accolades.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby michael_p » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 4:39 pm

kanangra wrote:...when questions were first raised...

I think your question answers itself.

I remember reading somewhere he claimed to have run from Katoomba to Mittagong in 14hrs. Seriously, 14 hours! Here you go, I found the article whilst writing my post: http://www.coolrunning.com.au/ultra/treseder.shtml

EDIT: What a goose I am. I just noticed the link above has already been posted by photohiker. :oops:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 5:06 pm

michael_p wrote:EDIT: What a goose I am. I just noticed the link above has already been posted by photohiker. :oops:

All Treseder roads seem to lead to coolrunning :)

You'd only be a goose if you did it twice :mrgreen:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Allchin09 » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 11:19 pm

I've read his book and at the back there is a list of achievements and firsts which is a solid 10 or so pages long! Some of them are just completely insane! I'd just be interested to know which bits were in fact the truth, because to exaggerate the whole lot and the publisher or writer not question it is quite odd.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby Allchin09 » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 11:23 pm

He's also featured on this "Meaningful Success Project" webpage - http://rachelcollis.com.au/MeaningfulSuccess/
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby puredingo » Sat 01 Feb, 2014 12:36 pm

Who is this bloke, the chopper read of outdoor adventure?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mikethepike » Sat 01 Feb, 2014 12:38 pm

I recall occasionally lying at school - but to save my life, not to build myself up in other people's eyes - (I didn't need to! :lol:) and one thing I learnt was that, if the situation is desperate and the scaffold is looming, then the more fantastic the lie, the more likely the lie (or 'story' as I prefer to think of them) will be believed! I think Peter may have applied the same system eg why be satisfied with being bitten on the ankle where some place more sensational can fill the role. He's a bit like Lance Armstrong, both have used their fame for doing a great deal of public good but only one has fessed up. And I think it was Patrick Jonker talking about Lance, and how the sad thing is that, without drugs, Armstrong would very probably have one at least 3 TdeFs anyway - Jonker had never seen anyone train harder than Armstrong. Perhaps that applies to Peter T though he has not raced in endurance competitions as far as I know. That is where, drugs aside, there is no room for avoiding the truth. And this brings up the worse aspect of Peter's stories, it may have given a false expression of just what the human body can do.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jaala » Sat 01 Feb, 2014 2:44 pm

mikethepike wrote:why be satisfied with being bitten on the ankle where some place more sensational can fill the role.

I'd like to have seen the results of infection from being fanged on such an appendage. I wonder where exactly it nipped him, along the ridge or on the summit?

As for Lance... a lot of good he did but a cheat is a cheat. His pic of lounging on the couch beneath his yellow jerseys after the news broke was a low act.
Jaala
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby SteveJ » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 9:22 am

Malcolm Douglas, Harry Butler, the Leyland Brothers, Alby Mangles, Steve Irwin .... I see them in the same light as they all produced highly fabricated situations. Treseder told his stories in a different medium but at the end of the day they all produce fact and fiction blurred entertainment media, the fiction part goes with the business, as it needs to be 'engaging' to get noticed, has anything changed in the media??
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mikethepike » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 12:01 pm

SteveJ wrote:Malcolm Douglas, Harry Butler, the Leyland Brothers, Alby Mangles, Steve Irwin .... I see them in the same light as they all produced highly fabricated situations. Treseder told his stories in a different medium but at the end of the day they all produce fact and fiction blurred entertainment media, the fiction part goes with the business, as it needs to be 'engaging' to get noticed, has anything changed in the media??

There is a huge difference between telling completely false stories where your credibility is based on your good name and reputation and setting up scenes to get good film or video footage. A film will often give the false appearance of spontaneity but with a film crew involved, that is just to make the project manageable, come within budget and achieve the best result and it's easy to think of many instances of this. Eg, climbing sequences done over several days but made to look like a single day but where the extra time is required for filming logistics. For the good laugh it gave audiences, the Leylands even filmed a spoof sequence showing the difference between the real life version and the 'film' version of one of their adventure travel sequences. There is a big difference between that and fabrication.

One true thing about lying (and I speak from personnel experience :lol: ) is that, if you get away with it, it encourages boldness and the stories start getting wilder and wilder. In the end I think it can become a game - just what nonsense can I dish up that people are still prepared to believe? I think you would be laughing at the gullibility of people. It's risky of course because the wilder the stories, the more risk you take of eventually getting sprung, but you're having too much fun with your little game to be too concerned about that. The opposite situation but a similar psychology is the bank robber who keeps deliberately leaving clues for the police - it becomes a daring and exciting game but as rich as the guy is getting from his ill gotten gains, it's not enough. He want fame or infamy because a wealthy anonymity is not enough by itself. He wants to get caught! But that's enough philosophy from me for the day! :) With regards to Steve Irwin, he was a showman but that occupied 1% of his time. He had very deep convictions about nature and wildlife and backed that up by spending most of the other 99% of his time doing the work of two people.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 1:37 pm

Are you questioning if Alby did Belinda Green?
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 2:05 pm

davidf wrote:Are you questioning if Alby did Belinda Green?

Now if Alby shot a spoof sequence with Belinda Green, well, that's something I can believe in......
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neil_fahey » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 7:14 pm

Jaala wrote:I wonder where exactly it nipped him, along the ridge or on the summit?

Bahahaha :lol: Bravo, good sir. Bravo.
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au

Postby SteveJ » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 9:15 am

mikethepike wrote:There is a huge difference between telling completely false stories where your credibility is based on your good name and reputation and setting up scenes to get good film or video footage.

If you say so :? The way I see it, neither are truthful representations.
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jaala » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 9:46 am

I agree that neither are truthful representations but having said that I have to agree there is a difference. I wonder what it was about his real achievements that made him think it wasn't enough. Perhaps there's a correlation between waning interest in him and his making these claims, I don't know. But for whatever the reason he did it the problem certainly lies in his own head.
Jaala
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 9:48 am

Treseder misrepresented his exploits to suggest that he was faster than other athletes. that's called cheating. mangels, grylls et al are in the entertainment business.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 8:59 pm

So do you know he lied about things or just that you can't believe what he claims to have done? There seems to be little doubt that he has an extraordinary ability to push his body, plan things properly and has a huge amount of knowledge about the bush.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Jaala » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 11:22 pm

Taurë-rana wrote:So do you know he lied about things or just that you can't believe what he claims to have done? There seems to be little doubt that he has an extraordinary ability to push his body, plan things properly and has a huge amount of knowledge about the bush.

I don't think anyone doubts his ability. But when one makes claims thought by peers to be physically impossible and/or chains of events are so unlikely, and none of it documented, observers must form educated opinions.
Jaala
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 12:31 pm

Taurë-rana wrote:So do you know he lied about things or just that you can't believe what he claims to have done? There seems to be little doubt that he has an extraordinary ability to push his body, plan things properly and has a huge amount of knowledge about the bush.

I'm confident that he is a BS artist who misrepresented a fair number of his claims. This is particularly egregious as his claims are about athletic prowess which diminishes the accomplishments of athletes who have not fabricated their achievements.

This doesn't mean that he is not a gifted athlete with considerable accomplishments nor does it take away from his genuinely recorded athletic activities. It just means that I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 07 Feb, 2014 10:21 am

kanangra wrote:What has become of him? I haven't heard a thing for the last 10 years or so when questions were first raised. Personally I always found some of his claims very hard to accept.

K.

I think Peter has moved on to other pursuits. I think he now lives in Brisbane.

I don't have his book - but I did borrow a copy and read it, and was amused to see a "quote" from me in that I did not make. If I did have the book - I would place it in the fiction section of my library. I did know Peter when he lived in Sydney. But the only experience of him as a bushwalker I have first hand was on a Colo search. On that occasion, he made a navigational error and took his search team into an area that the team I was in was supposed to be searching. When we found fresh footprints down a creek - it did cause some confusion!

I personally would strongly doubt any of his solo trip claims.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby clarence » Sat 08 Feb, 2014 12:02 am

DaveNoble wrote:
I personally would strongly doubt any of his solo trip claims.

Dave

+1
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Grabeach » Sat 08 Feb, 2014 7:00 am

I had a little bit to do with Peter when I was my club S&R contact. I also took him and several of his mates on a walk a few decades back. He wanted to know where Orang Utan was, so we were going to combine that with an ascent of the Gordon Smith Chimney. He was a quiet unassuming guy to walk with. Didn't seem the type to promote himself. Unfortunately he was feeling unwell and went back up Perrys, so I didn't have a chance to judge his technical ability in the GSC.

In those days, I had heard second hand that he had done some remarkable things, but nothing that seemed unbelievable, though it is a bit hard to know if you weren't familiar with that particular area. I had some doubts on hearing of his down the Grose (without using the Engineers Track) trip time. I'd done virtually all the track in sections with a day pack, so had a pretty good idea what the terrain was like. Back then, if there were any other doubters, they hadn't gone public. I got involved with other things (family) after that, so didn't hear about him again. Can’t remember why, but a few years back I Googled his name and found the Cool Running stuff. All things considered, it was a bit of a surprise.

For what it’s worth, I wonder if he started out with good intentions of using his exploits to achieve something worthwhile, but his personality wasn’t able to cope with the pressure of being in the public eye. Maybe a bit of a stress related breakdown?
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby OldGuy » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 2:53 pm

Peter Treseder - did he really exist? You only hear about him from friends of a friend like an urban myth. The Baron Munchausen of the Blue Mountains or may be a time traveller?
OldGuy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Raymondo » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 2:51 pm

He was actually awarded the order of Australia for his work/commitment to bushwalking a few years ago. Then he left his basic banking job, got on a few Boards and is now the CEO of the Royal Brisbane and Women's Foundation - a fund raising body for research into medical health. He was my "hero" for a long time there (though I take things a lot slower)but it seems likely that many of his exploits-especially the later ones-were somewhat exagerated.
Raymondo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Empty » Fri 18 Apr, 2014 1:24 pm

If you are interested in a bit more of an insight into PT you still may be able to pick up a copy of a book by Tim Jarvis called "The Unforgiving Minute". It is the story of his crossing of Antarctica in company with Treseder and it is an interesting read.

I read it about 13 years ago and not long after PT came to a 4WD club of which I was a member as the guest speaker. His portrayal of that antarctic crossing was somewhat at odds with the tale told by Jarvis and it was interesting for me to hear it from the horses mouth.

I would have been one of the only (if not the only) people in the club who had heard of PT and certainly the only one who had read Jarvis's book so I kept my thoughts to myself so as not to dispel the myth!
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion