Who takes a book hiking/camping?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Who takes a book hiking/camping?

Postby puredingo » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 8:34 pm

No books for me, well as far as novels etc go. I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate on it enough to fully appreciate it.

I just take scraps of paper from around the house that I usually can't be bothered or don't have time to read...Super ann statements, hiking kit (or other) instructions, that little bushwalker editorial you get from various outdoor stores.

And once these snippets are read, foomp, into the fire they go...No lugging around War and Peace with me!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Don R » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 2:51 pm

Always took a book.
I was stuck at High Moor in the Western Arthurs once for three plus days in a squall (white out everywhere, driving rain, etc) with nothing to read except the labels on my gear ("machine washable" is a bit boring after a while). Almost got stuck on the Five Passes in NZ recently, only one book there when that was finished it was time to shuffle off (dreadful weather). Since then a Kindle is part of my long distance walking setup.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby climberman » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 10:36 pm

Hmm. I vacillate.

Once, back in the dark ages of the early 1990's, I was camping on the main range in winter with a mate. Before leaving, he said "I'm gunna grab a book, might be handy". I pooh-poohed this idea as a wasteful stupidity, knowing we'd be far too exhausted form the skiing we'd be doing to bother reading at night.

Anyway.

Spent 5 days straight in a tent, maybe getting one run in a day on a day or two. Our stove also packed it in, and we had to eat that old freeze dried food in the silver packs with ice cold lake water (crunchy!). One day the weather was so poor we couldn't even find the water hole.

After four days he took pity and tore the book in half for me.

We both laugh about it now….. him more than me.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby mikethepike » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 1:52 pm

I spent 2 moths walking in Britain last year and if i had a fault, it was having too many books in the pack but one book which I found in a cafe/2nd hand bookshop in Wales was a paperback copy of Barry Pilton's 'One man and his Bog'. The extra weight was well worth carrying as it surely has to be one of the funniest books you'll ever read! It relates the author's walk on the Pennine Way and his many missadventures as well some original insights into walking. And that from a beginner at the time he commenecd his walk, This guy used to be employed writing comedy scripts for the BBC so you can get the idea. Get yourself a second hand copy from somewhere and you'll be forever thankful you openned this thread and read this post! My own copy is on constant loan to bushwalking companions.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Happy Pirate » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 5:54 pm

Who DOESN"T?
15 years ago I once dropped my book from my packing list due to weight. Worst mistake I ever made. Got rained in one day and ended up reading and re-reading the backs of cereal packages.
Always carry more than you expect to read.
In fact I sometimes try to carry something dense that I wouldn't otherwise tackle. 'The Glass Bead Game" by H Hesse, 'Ulysses"by J Joyce. not always a success....
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 7:02 pm

Kindle loaded with a lot of things I've always wanted to read but not gotten around to. Just started the collected works of George Elliot. Should keep me going for a trip or three.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby shankspony » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 5:05 am

Yep, kindle fan here. Generally. But I like weight-efficiency, so if I know we're lighting a fire every night I like to take a 'real' book, just so I can tear out what I've read and throw the pages on the fire, and my pack gets lighter each day (by perception, clearly, as i'm sure I can't really feel the weight difference in a few pages! However 'perception is reality' so job done). Obviously the book comes from a second-hand sale too (ideally $1 max) because naturally i'm a tight-ars* as well (Yorkshire) and wouldn't want to waste any money. Further to that, I don't like reading rubbish, so the book also has to perform on the quality stakes. Tough gig....but as a slight counter, the odd ketchup/coffee stain is acceptable, and well-thumbed editions also make the cut :0)
there's no time to waste like the present - the sky's your oyster
shankspony
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby loganator » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 9:00 pm

Personally I don't. I've regretted it on a few occasions. E.g. Stuck in a blizzard for 2 days solo, or stuffed leg and waiting 3 days solo for a lift. These times would've been perfect. I've taken to downloading a few pdfs onto the phone. I don't count on it as usaully I'm to stuffed to read after hiking all day or have mates around to chat to.
Nothing is going to stop me,
Even if my body falls broken
My mind and spirit shall carry me on
loganator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby tassiewxgirl » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 3:22 pm

My sweetie and I take a Kindle and often read to each other. We also take a a lightweight paperback each for when we don't want what the other one wants (to read). Even pre-Kindle we always took books. It got us through three days tent bound at the Labyrinth-well the exped mattresses didn't hurt either...
tassiewxgirl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Jayps68 » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 10:00 am

I always take the same book. A collection of Borges' short stories. 'Labyrinths'
It's all the same to me where i begin, for to there I shall return...
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Johnnie Walker » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 6:09 pm

I drag along a Pixel C tablet (517 grams). It has my books, magazines (Zino), maps, board games, notepad, diary, music, audio books etc. The only real book I take is a trail guide or visitor guide when available.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion