Who takes a book hiking/camping?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Who takes a book hiking/camping?

Postby Mitchc » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 1:48 am

Not sure if this has been discussed. I can't seem to find anything relevant.

I love a good book, and reading out in the bush where I can relax, that's even better. So I was wondering who takes something to read with them? I was thinking of getting a kindle or something similar so I have something to read in the afternoon (I camp alone) and a kindle has more than ample battery to get through the majority of hikes while only weighing 170g.

Peoples' opinions?
Mitchc
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Who takes a book hiking/camping?

Postby Lindsay » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 2:20 am

I always take a book with me. To me it is an essential piece of kit. After a days walking there is nothing like spending an hour or two reading in the late afternoon or tucked up in my tent before going to sleep. I have a kindle which is absolutely great for bushwalking. A full charge will keep it going for over a week, reading for a couple of hours each day, and at 237g (the new ones are lighter) it's lighter than most paperback books. I have made a bubble wrap pouch to keep it in and it has survived several trips now.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stepbystep » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 5:27 am

Kindle = brilliant.

I can put heaps of books on it so depending on mood can switch between the novel I'm reading, poetry, track notes, flora/fauna identikits etc

Perfect for long trips. Battery life not a problem.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 6:18 am

Always and I don't own a kindle or I'd probably use one
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 7:48 am

stepbystep wrote:Kindle = brilliant.

I can put heaps of books on it so depending on mood can switch between the novel I'm reading, poetry, track notes, flora/fauna identikits etc

+1

Can carry a whole library and as sbs says just change with your mood.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:08 am

stepbystep wrote:Kindle = brilliant.

+2
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:30 am

Kindles great, beats being stuck with penguin classics :) I read the Feist series pre-kindle in the bush, sometimes i'd carry for a week only able to read a paragraph before falling asleep, other times staying up wayyy too late..

Even kindle doesn't get a lot of use (when I do go camping). I can tolerate reading iphone. Very similar, so useful. Even have camera manuals, advanced /first aid compendiums, now full workshop manual for my motorbike .. as well as eg. the Feist collection on demand :)
Last edited by Nuts on Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Clusterpod » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:36 am

My wife and I both carry our kindles.

Wouldn't go on overnighters or longer without them.

Sometimes even pack them for daywalks as we love to sack-out and read in the bush.
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby forest » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:12 am

I always take my kindle when solo bushwalking or group trips with lots of lazy camp time. Batteries last forever on a walk.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby icefest » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 11:33 am

My kindle recently broke so I've reverted to books, rereading them as I finish them.
I have no problems hiking without any as long as the other person doesn't have one.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 6:02 pm

I haven't trekked with my kobo yet, but I did use it all the time when I worked at remote locations doing medical standby. sometimes other people's thoughts are more welcome than my own.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby zac150 » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 6:49 pm

I switch the phone to airplane mode and use iBook to read. A little small but very light.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby walkon » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 7:34 pm

Kindle for me and the batteries last forever
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby Lizzy » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:02 pm

Nope don't usually take a book- just some photocopied track notes. I am happy to enjoy the bush or if with others chat or play cards.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MJD » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 9:29 pm

Kindle, lasts forever and it doesn't need a light after dark.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mitchc » Thu 20 Mar, 2014 3:13 am

That's good to know I'm not alone haha
Mitchc
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Scottyk » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 4:54 pm

I like taking a small iPod with lots of good podcasts, especially when walking solo. I often fall asleep listening to them. Again podcasts are great as you can choose to suit your mood.
I have a kindle and yeah I should take that, never occurs to me
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby jobell » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 8:50 am

I always used to take a book, but recently I've swapped to listening to audio books on my ipod. Love lying back in my sleeping back and having someone read me the story. Ultimate in lazy, but when you have spent your energy for the day in the walking it's a real treat. I rarely listen to anything while I walk in the bush, but if I'm struggling along on a road or in bad weather with my head down, I do sometimes make an exception. The only problem with audio books is falling asleep while listening at night, which uses up my battery and can create challenges in trying to find that spot in the book where I left off listening.
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 9:19 am

jobell wrote:I always used to take a book, but recently I've swapped to listening to audio books on my ipod. Love lying back in my sleeping back and having someone read me the story. Ultimate in lazy, but when you have spent your energy for the day in the walking it's a real treat. I rarely listen to anything while I walk in the bush, but if I'm struggling along on a road or in bad weather with my head down, I do sometimes make an exception. The only problem with audio books is falling asleep while listening at night, which uses up my battery and can create challenges in trying to find that spot in the book where I left off listening.

I'm not sure what iPod you have, but mine lets you set a sleep timer. Have a look near the clock/time.

EDIT: Spelling, grammar.
Last edited by icefest on Sun 23 Mar, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 12:28 pm

I always take my Kindle - thousands of books at my disposal. They usually end up being adventure stories, or something fast paced. Deep, philosophical books are just a bit too much after a long day out. I should get into the whole audiobook thing. I did find that podcasts did help to break down the monotony of walking around Lake Pedder on my recent Franklands trip, but the iPod rarely comes out during the day.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davidmorr » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 3:32 pm

I take an iPod Nano loaded up with audio books, radio programs, etc. Better than an e-book reader because I can be totally inside the sleeping bag on a cold night instead of trying to hold up an e-book reader, and having to worry about glassses. Lighter too.

I remember one mid-year trip on the Central Plateau in Tasmania where we went to bed about 6pm and got up about 6am. I just cannot sleep that long. Around about 1am I would wake up, listen to an hour of Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" (his trip on the Appalachian Trail), then go back to sleep again.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Steddie » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 6:12 pm

I often take a book, usually just a cheap paperback. I'd love to have a kindle or similar, they seem to be a very practical alternative.
Steddie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mutley » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 6:50 pm

I used to take my kindle on every trip. However, I am toying with the idea of using iBooks on my iPhone 4s instead. I always carry the iPhone and leaving the kindle behind will save about 200g. My concern is the iPhone battery life. I need it to last for a week at a time, being used for about 1 hour a day, as a reader. I still need enough charge in the phone for a quick or emergency call if needed. The phone will be completely turned off during the day and in plane mode while reading. I think this is do-able.

But my gut feeling is I should take both, as I may need a full phone charge in a critical situation.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Scottyk » Mon 24 Mar, 2014 8:11 am

davidmorr wrote:I take an iPod Nano loaded up with audio books, radio programs, etc. Better than an e-book reader because I can be totally inside the sleeping bag on a cold night instead of trying to hold up an e-book reader, and having to worry about glassses. Lighter too.

I remember one mid-year trip on the Central Plateau in Tasmania where we went to bed about 6pm and got up about 6am. I just cannot sleep that long. Around about 1am I would wake up, listen to an hour of Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" (his trip on the Appalachian Trail), then go back to sleep again.

A Walk in the Woods is a great audio book, read by Bill Bryson himself. It has some great lessons on hiking equipment and only taking what is required.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 24 Mar, 2014 8:36 am

Mutley wrote:I used to take my kindle on every trip. However, I am toying with the idea of using iBooks on my iPhone 4s instead. I always carry the iPhone and leaving the kindle behind will save about 200g. My concern is the iPhone battery life. I need it to last for a week at a time, being used for about 1 hour a day, as a reader. I still need enough charge in the phone for a quick or emergency call if needed. The phone will be completely turned off during the day and in plane mode while reading. I think this is do-able.

But my gut feeling is I should take both, as I may need a full phone charge in a critical situation.

You can get a battery back with a USB connection for your iPhone, but of course that adds substantial weight. You can get a few full charges out if it though, and some have solar cells to recharge the battery pack (although the solar cells are often not enough to be of any substantial use).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 24 Mar, 2014 9:43 am

One thought with smartphones. booting up the OS is one of the most expensive battery drain functions, so you may want to test out how much it takes you phone to boot up, and add that to your math. Unfortunately with iphones you can't use replaceable batteries, but for phones that you can, that is the lightest way to take extra power.
For keeping charge for emergency use, the second most important thing to think about is that searching for signal burns power much more than maintaining it. So if you are in a situation where you are trying to get to signal, and you are in places that you are pretty sure are dead, then switching to airplane mode will conserve battery while you get to likely reception zones. I've had phones that have burned the battery in 2 hours of standby with no signal.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jjoz58 » Tue 25 Mar, 2014 11:18 am

I walk with a kindle as well. Hundreds of books so I can always find something to suit the mood and place.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Picaro » Tue 25 Mar, 2014 2:01 pm

I've burnt out 2 Kobo's. I have another generic lcd type reader, but its a multi-function reader/pic viewer/movie player so the battery life is not good, and it sucks the life out of my backup charging units.
So, I'm sitting here waiting for the courier who has one of those Kindles with a built in backlight on board for me.
I was Ok a few years ago reading on my Galaxy, but time is doing its work on me, so the 6 inch screen is the way to go.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby goanna » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 1:53 am

I use my electronic reader on longer trips. Don't seem to have time to read on shorter trips. They are also excellent when travelling as it eliminates the eternal quest to swap English language novels with other travellers. I looked on line for some comparisons between the various types of electronic reader and the Sony e-reader was highly recommended especially for the clear non reflective screen and the extraordinarily long battery life although at a somewhat higher cost. I have been very pleased with it both walking and travelling. It also has a WiFi connection and can (somewhat clumsily) surf the web. Useful for reading current newspapers when you are travelling.
goanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby robertoman » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 8:17 pm

great thread. sometimes my hardest gear choice is "which book should I take". Tend to stuff things in my pack, so reluctant to pack my kindle. I take iPod with music and podcasts as well but never seem to listen to them at night. Love the night noises, and a bit scared that I won't hear boogie man and drop bears and mythical black panthers and serial killers sneaking up on me if I have ear phones in
robertoman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion