Are we hiking or bushwalk?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Are we hiking or bushwalk?

Postby sanbot » Sat 26 Apr, 2014 12:03 am

I tend to use the word hiking since my love of hiking came about when I traveled extensively around the US. Now that I'm back in Australia I understand why bushwalking is used more commonly. More often then not (well at least my experience in NSW) you are literally walking in the bush for most of the walk.
sanbot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 10:06 am

Nice discussion, thank you.
South Australia's Dept for Environment and Heritage produced a lot of excellent brochures with mud maps and walk descriptions. If an area such as Mt Remarkable (http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/files/ ... RKABLE.pdf) has a number of suggested walks (13) which differ in difficulty, they start by defining what they mean by a walk, a hike, and a trek, and then name the walks appropriately. Seems sensible! (BTW they are increasingly reluctant to provide brochures to tourist info centres, best to save or print your own or the tourist centre will print an A2 folded brochure on A4 paper for you.)

I like bushwalking but would feel pretentious using a term other than "walk" or maybe "hike" if I was on, say, the main Mount Lofty walk which has been bitumised. Bushbashing is something else again.

"Trail" is a useful term which to me means its either multi-use (Kidman bridle/walking) and/or makes use of existing roads (Heysen Trail.) "Tramp" is useful, identifies Kiwis!
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby gbedford » Sun 11 May, 2014 5:25 pm

"To me, 'hike' and 'trail' are Americanisms, though 'trail' seems to be the prevailing usage on the mainland except in Victoria. Never used the terms growing up in Tassie, it was always 'walk', 'bushwalk' and 'track'."

I totally agree with north-north-west. It is so typical of Australians to ignore/ degrade their historical culture. We ignore our links with the past to the point where I now wonder whether we have an Australian culture. Personally I cannot see why we have to be like others particularly Americans. There is nothing wrong with their culture but we don't have to copy it.
gbedford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby mikethepike » Sun 11 May, 2014 8:06 pm

gbedford wrote:"To me, 'hike' and 'trail' are Americanisms, though 'trail' seems to be the prevailing usage on the mainland except in Victoria. Never used the terms growing up in Tassie, it was always 'walk', 'bushwalk' and 'track'."

I think that 'hike'' has long been in common usage in Englnad and Auatralia but trail as you say, is American. But......

walk2wineries wrote:"Trail" is a useful term which to me means its either multi-use (Kidman bridle/walking) and/or makes use of existing roads (Heysen Trail.)

...I have to agree with walk2... here. 'Track' doesn't adequately describe something like the Heysen Trail and in fact, may give many people the wrong impression of the walking there. In Tassie of course, track is what thay really are because they are foot access only and look like everyone's idea of what a track is. But we do use the term track very widely - think of the the Birdsville and Oodnadatta Tracks.

gbedford wrote:I totally agree with north-north-west. It is so typical of Australians to ignore/ degrade their historical culture. We ignore our links with the past to the point where I now wonder whether we have an Australian culture. Personally I cannot see why we have to be like others particularly Americans. There is nothing wrong with their culture but we don't have to copy it.

I think that 'trail' has been adopred for the Heysen because it does seem the best option in its particular case as it is a mix of purpose built and pre-existing walking tracks, fence line walks, road reserves and dirt roads. 'The Heysen Walk' seems a bit lacking somehow while a 'Heysen Way' would be a good title and one I like very much but it would probably strike many people as maybe just a bit too English. Maybe it's a case of the English 'Way' vs the American 'Trail''? Whatever, you soon do get used to the idea of the Heysen Trail and it doesn't seem un-Australian to me although I think that it once did. But we adapt so many foreign word usages without question and I'm not convinced that exception should be made for walking paths. Having said that, the 'Heysen Path' anyone?
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbedford » Sun 01 Jun, 2014 5:22 pm

My trouble is 58 years of observation. I have seen Australian culture swamped by imports. It is everywhere. I don't mind new developments but a lot is just replacement of the indigenous by the imported. Tracks have become trails, bushwalking is now hiking, head torch is headlamp, pegs are now stakes, bivi bag or sack is bivi ( a bivi is what you did), billy (some use in the UK and Ireland but particularly in Australia) is now pot. there are heaps of examples in general society. Stove has become cooker, couch is sofa, bathroom ( whether there is a shower or bath in it or not) is rapidly relacing toilet, sidewalk is replacing footpath. I wonder if a jug of beer will be changed to a pitcher.

These things become normative and people start to feel uncomfortable with the old terms. This website illustrates this. Government and business seem to be so enthusiastic about bringing in the new, just witness the new "Trail Map" at Licola.

It is funny how there is this push to save aspects of Aboriginal culture and how people decry the loss of culture in other societies but there is so little love of what was developed here.

Of course part of me says oh well does it really matter but then the culture of my past is still imbedded in me and I haven't emigrated.
Gordon
gbedford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 10:50 am

100% agree with you Gordon, but theres not much we can do. its the way of the world. We speak differently then 100 years ago.. we have gadgets and stuff that are ment to make our life eaiser but sometimes I wish I lived in the middle of nowhere with nothing... As for hiking or walking sometimes im more waddling .
walkerchris77
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 3:42 pm

walkerchris77 wrote:... As for hiking or walking sometimes I'm more waddling .

Limping. Hobbling. Stumbling.
Crawling. :(
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby headwerkn » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 11:35 pm

I have to admit I use the word hike a lot more than bushwalk. Syllables are time, and time is money... :-p
headwerkn

Postby walk2wineries » Sun 22 Jun, 2014 12:24 am

Have to admit I'm waddling, limping, hobbling, crawling and stumbling with NNW and walkerchris much of the time!
I wonder that Gordon has not noticed the language differences between states though? We are becoming more homogenous, and I notice that too. But as a kid moving between states and schools, I was occasionally mystified. Take the Qld "Port" to describe a suitcase. Port? And I might swim in Togs, bathers, or a cossie - or cozzy, or whatever it was they wore in that part of Victoria. Older relatives insisted that "one sandwich" in different areas meant either a quarter of the usual round made with two slices, or 2 quarters, or 4 quarters, and that years ago one could end up with either 1/4 of a sandwich or with 4 rounds - ie 8 slices of bread - if unaware of this and ordering incorrectly.
Personally I've convinced that some states think that "10km return" is 5km each way and that others think its a 20km round trip. (NB - why not just write, 5km each way which to me is much clearer.) Much rather we had concordance on that one and let people pick "trail, track, walk, way or hike" to suit themselves.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 9:23 am

I prefer to use the term bushwalk, but I tend to find that when I'm talking to non bushwalkers, that infers a day stroll along a made track, with information signs etc. if I tell them I'm going hiking, then they seem to understand I've got a pack and I'm camping out for a night or two. Occasionally I catch myself saying backpacking, which for some reason annoys me.
I use track, except for firetrails. I have, however found myself saying trailhead recently, probably from reading a few AT books etc. I'll try and make myself think 'start of the track'. Trackhead doesn't come easily.
Scouts use the term hiking. They don't take the kids on overnight bushwalks.

Interesting discussion. When I worked in Arizona I was constantly confusing people by putting rubbish in a rubbish bin, drinking water from a bubbler, turning on the tap, having a cuppa, adding milk to my coffee (not creamer), drinking a soft drink, walking in thongs, wearing a swimming costume and loading horses in a horse float towed by a ute.
And I got sick of telling people that in Australia we don't dock cattle dogs' tails!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 9:52 am

Occasionally I catch myself saying backpacking, which for some reason annoys me.

Maybe because it now suggests you're travelling the world on the cheap?

To people who do day walks (and I don't know whose term that is), I may say I'm going on a backpack, to imply it's a multi-day walk - and I don't know whose term that is either!
I may say I'm going on a backpack

Now I look at it, it conjures up an image of a very chunky flying carpet...
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 10:19 am

Onestepmore wrote:Interesting discussion. When I worked in Arizona I was constantly confusing people by putting rubbish in a rubbish bin, drinking water from a bubbler, turning on the tap, having a cuppa, adding milk to my coffee (not creamer), drinking a soft drink, walking in thongs, wearing a swimming costume and loading horses in a horse float towed by a ute.
And I got sick of telling people that in Australia we don't dock cattle dogs' tails!

I can definitely relate to that OSM, and I'm also with NNW and walktowineries on the stumbling and so on :roll:. My (non bushwalking/hiking) wife and I recently returned from a 5 week trip through parts of western USA. Over there I was definitely hiking, albeit I was only doing day walks/hikes here and there. And you have to say "backpacking" when discussing trips involving overnight camping. My better half managed to confuse numerous people we met by referring to me as a bushwalker (although she caused even more confusion with other Aussie colloquialisms). Some of the confused looks were priceless :). Back home I tend to use "bushwalking" but admit to using "hiking" sometimes, usually in conversation with people unfamiliar with "bushwalking", generally work colleagues who have migrated here.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkerchris77 » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 12:53 pm

We do say hitch hiking not hitch bushwalking.
walkerchris77

Postby photohiker » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 4:53 pm

walkerchris77 wrote:We do say hitch hiking not hitch bushwalking.

I thought we said 'thumb a ride' ? What is this hitch hiking you speak of? :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkerchris77 » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 9:13 pm

Mmmm photo (hiker).
Should change your name to photobushwalking.

He he .
All good
walkerchris77

Postby walkerchris77 » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 9:16 pm

To me bushwalking is what I do. (Walking in the bush) . The moment im walking along side the main road well then I guess im lost.
walkerchris77

Postby photohiker » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 11:25 pm

walkerchris77 wrote:To me bushwalking is what I do. (Walking in the bush) . The moment im walking along side the main road well then I guess im lost.

You better change your name to bushwalkerchris77 then :mrgreen:

photobushwalker is a bit of a mouthful... :wink:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 8:39 am

Ahh, another pet hate of mine with Americans.
The term 'use the restroom'. I purposefully say ' can you please tell me where the toilets are' so I can see their horrified expression. I mean, really, what do they think I'm going to do in there? Have a little snooze?

Another time I caused a bit of confusion. In the UK when I worked there as a young horse vet, I was invited to a hunt ball and associated weekend house party at a very lovely country property. I was walking with my hostess and talking about what clothes I had brought for the various lunches and dinners. I said 'I didn't bring any pants' My hostess did a brief double take, then good breeding showed and she simply said, yes, most women would wear dresses all weekend. 'Pants' in England mean underpants, lol, they say trousers.

Sorry to go off track a bit.

And I do sometimes still say 'smoko time' for morning tea break. My friends laugh, especially if we're dressed up and out somewhere, and because they know I really despise smoking (unless it's a cigar and I'm a bit drunk!)
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 5:36 pm

photohiker wrote:
walkerchris77 wrote:To me bushwalking is what I do. (Walking in the bush) . The moment im walking along side the main road well then I guess im lost.

You better change your name to bushwalkerchris77 then :mrgreen:

photobushwalker is a bit of a mouthful... :wink:

Lol. Good one. :D :D
walkerchris77

Postby stry » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 5:46 pm

A bit of a thread wander going on but since someone (OSM? :D ) started it, I'll chip in on the "backpacking" thing. Where else would you carry a full size pack ? On your chest ? Over your arm ? Between your legs ?

And another - "horseback" riding. Same redundancy. How else would you ride the thing except on its back ??

And I'm also with OSM on the "rest room" thing. Who the hell goes in there for a rest ? Unless it's a rest from the company you're with.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 6:22 pm

stry wrote:A bit of a thread wander going on but since someone (OSM? :D ) started it, I'll chip in on the "backpacking" thing. Where else would you carry a full size pack ? On your chest?

Well actually I wear mine about half-half between those two locations :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkerchris77 » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 9:26 pm

Agree with stry, if I go to a public loo the last thing I want to do is hang around and listen to others dropping logs. I was in one a while a go and the guy next to me was talking on his mobile phone to his wife. Interesting call, and the man said excuse me after some wind came out.

I flushed real quick and I was out of there.
walkerchris77

Postby Strider » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 9:31 pm

American "wrist watch" is another dumb one
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 9:47 pm

Strider wrote:American "wrist watch" is another dumb one

It's a leftover to differentiate it from the contemporary "fob watch".
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 6:18 pm

Onestepmore wrote:And I got sick of telling people that in Australia we don't dock cattle dogs' tails!

:shock: You mean they DO?! Effing barbarians!!!!!!!
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whitefang » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 6:54 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Onestepmore wrote:And I got sick of telling people that in Australia we don't dock cattle dogs' tails!

Is there a difference between the way dogs tails are docked and the way sheep tails are docked?
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 7:08 pm

whitefang wrote:
north-north-west wrote:

Is there a difference between the way dogs tails are docked and the way sheep tails are docked?

It's more about the why and the effect. Docking a dog's tail has no positive outcome (for the dog) and interferes with its communication. It's purely to suit the owners' aesthetics. Sheep tails are removed to improve hygiene and health.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 8:46 pm

Strider wrote:
stry wrote:A bit of a thread wander going on but since someone (OSM? :D ) started it, I'll chip in on the "backpacking" thing. Where else would you carry a full size pack ? On your chest?

Uummm -let's see - either you live in a third world country and carry heavy loads on your head :) , or you have an Aarn ? :wink:
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 8:59 pm

north-north-west wrote:It's more about the why and the effect. Docking a dog's tail has no positive outcome (for the dog) and interferes with its communication. It's purely to suit the owners' aesthetics. Sheep tails are removed to improve hygiene and health.

I held the same opinion for many years NNW, but some breeds of dog, notably bigger ones, damage tails very easily and I am told that tails have limited blood flow and can very slow to heal.

I have certainly seen more than one Ridgeback with a tail injury that simply wouldn't heal. The things are like a broom handle and when they hit something, they hit hard. Docking doesn't have to be a short as those ugly little stumps that guard dogs are left with. Six to ten inches gives a wagger/communicator, and can be tucked under when sitting if mutt so desires. The paradox is that no one docks a Ridgy (and neither would I, if I had one)

I agree with you 100% when the motivation is purely to fit with someone's idea of good looks, but horses for course. Docking, for some breeds in some applications does have its place in reducing risk of injury.

I shall now wait patiently to be professionally corrected by OSM. :D :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 9:40 pm

stry wrote:
Strider wrote:

Uummm -let's see - either you live in a third world country and carry heavy loads on your head :) , or you have an Aarn ? :wink:

Haha! Definitely the latter :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion