Winter Camping with babies

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Winter Camping with babies

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 07 May, 2014 12:37 pm

Apologies if this comes across as an extremely "new parent" question, but:

I have a new son just past his 1st birthday and am keen to take him away camping and start fostering a love of the bush to ensure he's up for hiking with his old man when he is older. Only concern is how he'll cope with the cold...

He'll be warm in a tent and a sleeping bag - but obviously I can't cover his face. He's a warm sleeper too - we always leave the heater on if we want to ensure he sleeps through each night.

Anyone with experience in this area? Any tricks to help ease the way into camping? I'd prefer not to have to wait until warmer weather. I should note that I'm not suggesting artic conditions or even snow - just the normal frosted grass type cold within the valley campsites...

Cheers
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Winter Camping with babies

Postby geoskid » Wed 07 May, 2014 1:00 pm

ErichFromm wrote:Apologies if this comes across as an extremely "new parent" question, but:
Cheers

Even if it does, it's for all the right reasons. :D

I'd suggest not getting too far from the car, keep him comfortable and he'll be happy with the faces you pull no matter where you are. :lol:
He probably won't remember a thing about it tho'. You've got plenty of time, Dad.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 07 May, 2014 1:03 pm

I've done it with few problems, just not bushwalking; with young kids it was always and only car based.
you will soon know if the baby is cold, but properly dressed kids can cope well with almost all conditions. At that age I suggest a one piece with an over parka a size or two bigger and definitely a synthetic SB
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 07 May, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi ErichFromm,

Here is a useful link http://talesofamountainmama.com. This site is not unique to bushwalking but they do promote the get out there ethos for young families. Its got gear reviews and anecdotal reports from parents on what works and doesn't.

Hope it helps and enjoy all that fatherhood brings, its a great journey. One I'm tackling one day at a time.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby icefest » Wed 07 May, 2014 5:29 pm

You can probably imagine that there are increased risks with young children.

That being said it is not impossible, my parents took me camping in north american winter when I was that age - apparently I was inside my own bag, inside my parents double bag. 

To get you started: 
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... milks.html
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... ight/00177
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby markg » Wed 07 May, 2014 5:42 pm

I took my daughter to Tantangara with some friends when she was just a tad over 1yr old and it was in july. I had a little pack I would sit her in and carried her all over the place for a couple of days, rugged her up, had a little fleece and fur eared cap/ beanie, wool under garments and a little fleece jacket and she was good as. We stayed in our camper trailer with a couple of good doonahs, that's about it. Just be sure to leave the cap on . She didn't seem to be at all uncomfortable up there and it was cold and windy. If they are healthy with no conditions that could flare up to threaten their well being I don't see a problem .Wish she was that small again actually, the bigger they are the cuter they ain't. :D
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby walkon » Wed 07 May, 2014 6:30 pm

Yeah we did this, just rugged them right up and put bub in with us depending on how cold it was.

Mind you, with the first you worry about sterilizing the dummy whenever it drops on the ground and by the last they are lucky if you wipe the dummy on your shirt. So I reckon by your last he/she will be outside in their own swag.

Seriously unless they are crook, they are alot more robust at that age than you give credit for. Nice to see your concern though,
live life and enjoy them as all too soon they become teenagers
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby drakkar » Wed 07 May, 2014 8:56 pm

We had our daughter sleeping in a tent before she was 12 weeks old.
Everyone is different, but she was in her cot thing beside us which made night time settling easier. They are so active during the day they sleep easily. Now almost 4, she needs a nightlight at home, but not camping because we sleep beside her.
My biggest fear was(and still was) that she will wander off while I am sound asleep. Unlikely but still.
Warm milo/milk/soy/something before bed to get the core temp up, even toasting marshmellows.
Several favourite books and a bedtime toy. A cheap LED torch with kiddie proof battery compartment.
You will only need a couple of outdoor toys, chasing birds, 'helping' collect sticks, looking in streams for fish etc all mean a full day and a good nights sleep.
Up until around 3 we used an 'ergobaby' for lugging her on my back which meant an easy afternoon hike from a basecamp and a guaranteed nap from the pet monkey.
We also used a 'kinder cot' pop up mini tent deali instead of a portcot - the pet monkey is a wriggler and it kept her contained.

Your little guy is old enough now to let you know he is cold, make sure you take enough changes to keep him dry. Expect dirty filthy and let him explore, no need to change him till he is soaked.

Lastly - stressless and just get out there!!!!!!!!
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Wed 07 May, 2014 9:24 pm

drakkar wrote:My biggest fear was(and still was) that she will wander off while I am sound asleep.

Lastly - stressless and just get out there!!!!!!!!

Keep the zips high and use a small carabiner through the zip eyelet if the kids can reach if that's a problem. There's a greater danger in having a child escape than having to get out of the tent a couple of seconds faster in an emergency.
Cheers Walkon

walkon

Postby skog » Wed 07 May, 2014 9:34 pm

We do alot of camping in winter, but in a camper trailer. We keep them warm in thermals and onesies and they have their own sleeping bags and swags. If anything they get a tad warm.
We have been out in sub zero temps and we always pop a warm water bottle in with them.

Trust me they let you know if they get cold :)
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby icefest » Wed 07 May, 2014 9:53 pm

walkon wrote:Keep the zips high and use a small carabiner through the zip eyelet if the kids can reach if that's a problem. There's a greater danger in having a child escape than having to get out of the tent a couple of seconds faster in an emergency.

Yep, but in an emergency there is a faster way to leave...

Always know where your knife is.

With or without child there may come a moment where a quick exit is more important than an intact tent. The fastest back door is a hole cut in the side. :lol: Even more so if you only have one entrance.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ErichFromm » Thu 08 May, 2014 4:59 am

Thanks for all the responses.

Some great ideas and links - gives me a chance to research and buy some more equipment guilt free too!

We're going to set a date in the next few weeks. Just an overnighter to test the waters and see how we go. I don't have any big tents or campervans so will just use my old Nemo Losi 3P. Will open and spread out the sleeping bags like blankets and setup the little guy (now to be referred to as the "pet monkey" in honour of drakkar). I'll give him my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in case he needs to cut his way out at any point :)

He has bad circulation like me so will have to get some gloves or mittens for him. Here's hoping it takes - all my plans of father-son hikes and bonding sessions will fall flat if he hates the smell of eucalyptus....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lizzy » Thu 08 May, 2014 6:27 am

Yep mittens are the go- my 6 year old was crying in pain after camping in the cold then getting up & riding his bike one frosty morning. Very hard to warm up- was tring to warm up under sleeping bag on me. Finally took him to the camp kitchen and put his hands under warm water which did the trick :)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkon » Thu 08 May, 2014 8:32 am

I was in Vanuatu a little while ago and we watched a three year old play with a machete the same size as him hacking away at things, had a good chuckle as his parents didn't bat an eye lid over this behavior. So I reckon that your Spyderco Paramilitary 2 would be a good learning curve for the 'pet monkey'. :lol:
Cheers Walkon

walkon

Postby ErichFromm » Thu 08 May, 2014 9:19 am

Have been looking at the prices for baby outdoor clothes and I'm baulking a little at the cost given they'll only fit for a few months. Not keen on spending $100+ and then having to throw it all out and start again a few months later....

Being "frugal" (I choose to use this word rather than "tight") my head has started wondering if I could make a couple of warm items for the pet monkey to wear while camping: a fleece poncho or something like that. I'll of course look for second hand items as a first stop, but like the DIY idea.

Has anyone ever tried to do something similar? Any advice?
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 08 May, 2014 6:47 pm

Idid6nt read all replies so apologies if this has been covered, but in our experience with car camping its fairly easy. Get some of those interlocking foam mats from bunnings to floor your tent (amazing insulation). We also bring a blanket as an 'underblanket', then sleeping bags with a quilt packed in case its needed. Bulky but no worries if you have a car. Warm as your own house when you bunk down.
Outside sleep time just standard warm clothes with beanie and mittens does the job. No different to any other day outdoors
perfectlydark

Postby skog » Thu 08 May, 2014 6:54 pm

ErichFromm wrote:Have been looking at the prices for baby outdoor clothes and I'm baulking a little at the cost given they'll only fit for a few months. Not keen on spending $100+ and then having to throw it all out and start again a few months later....

Being "frugal" (I choose to use this word rather than "tight") my head has started wondering if I could make a couple of warm items for the pet monkey to wear while camping: a fleece poncho or something like that. I'll of course look for second hand items as a first stop, but like the DIY idea.

Has anyone ever tried to do something similar? Any advice?

We have always had a quick look in the second hand shops as they grow so quickly, at least for us we buy 1 item and it will last years between our 2 boys :)

I like the idea of the fleece poncho as it reminded of a dog when had that was shivering in the back of the ute after a swim and my wife made me stop, took off her fleece vest and popped him in it :lol:
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby walkon » Thu 08 May, 2014 7:28 pm

When it was wet we had some plastic/nylon jump suits when they were little and when they got up walking around went a plastic pant. My wife often went shopping to the salvos or the op shop for camping clothes for the kids. If the clothes got trashed it didn't matter, they only cost a few bucks so either they went into the rag bag or the bin. This was alot less stressful for my wife which meant we could do more of it.
Cheers Walkon

walkon

Postby drakkar » Thu 08 May, 2014 8:20 pm

ErichFromm wrote:now to be referred to as the "pet monkey" in honour of drakkar

:lol: :lol:

If you meet my daughter, she is definitely close to a pet monkey .

We frequent the seconds outdoor stores on smith street in melbourne. Have picked up multiple bargins. Op shops are good, as for more winter/snow based stuff we tend to buy one year on ebay, and sell on the next. Might lose a few dollars but works out far cheaper in the end.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 3:57 pm

Ok I'll play devil's advocate. We abandoned camping and bushwalking when ours were small. The whole nappy and cleanliness thing, especially when they were crawling and toddling was just such a hassle, and completely detracted from any enjoyment we might gain at the time. Flies, heat, cold, mud. Lol, I found it stressful enough at home! Once they are older, it's been great, NZ, Snowies, caving, abseiling.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm with OSM on this. Babies no. Manageable for one or two nights car based but that's it.

Once the yukkies are under control, go for it. Car camping, walking, whatever. Just keep 'em warm, dry, and well fed. I haven't encountered a child who didn't enjoy the experience. And you would be surprised what they DO remember.

I can tell you though, that four year olds get mighty heavy sitting on top of your loaded pack. :lol:
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 7:31 pm

We were not hygiene obsessed with our baby rearing but would also stop at taking a baby camping. I say there's a time when they can learn all the bushcraft of the world and get close to nature, but not when they are still milk and nappies dependent. It's just no fun when there are at least 4-5 nappies to dispose of in a day.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 7:37 pm

I've been taking our son for walks in a child carrier since he was about 6 months old. He just turned 18 months and has only very recently started to absorb the surroundings and actually enjoy being outdoors. Took him for a 1.5 hour circuit today And he didn't complain once but earlier on he was screaming after 30 mins.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 9:38 pm

Strider wrote:..... but earlier on he was screaming after 30 mins.

Nice peaceful walk in the bush. :)

I'm at the stage I will happily pay more for an airline flight that doesn't have screaming babies or toddlers within earshot.
This may all change once my own (teenage) children reproduce, in the meantime I'm 'been there, done that, let me enjoy my hard earned holiday'

Thumbs up for those of you who persist.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 11:09 pm

Yeah by that point I'd be breaking out into a jog back to the car!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 12:06 am

Our first bubs camping trip was at 3 weeks old. She's 15months old now and has been on 14camping trips. Most being Fri-Sunday trips in the ANP but we Also did 2 weeks in the Flinders Ranges with her last year when she was 3-4months old and we have just spent most of May this year in Central Australia with her.

Bubs #2 is a couple months off... Hopefully we can keep up the pace!

Travis.
Travis22

Postby stry » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 1:15 pm

Screaming is small bananas compared to having a toddler in a baby back pack empty his digestive tract down the back of your neck. The evidence suggested that plums were the problem :lol: :lol: .
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 1:44 pm

stry wrote:Screaming is small bananas compared to having a toddler in a baby back pack empty his digestive tract down the back of your neck. The evidence suggested that plums were the problem :lol: :lol: .
My sister did that to my mother when she was young too. On the drive home from her Year 10 Leavers Dinner though! :D
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 4:45 pm

We took ours car (truck) camping in the outback. Sat him on Surveyor General's corner and took a photo for the album :)

The only problem we had was one morning in the swag on the dunes in the middle of nowhere I was woken at pre-dawn by the sound of cloth against canvas. Hunted about for the torch and turned it toward the sound only to see a nappy covered bum heading for the hills! After that, he had a bowline around him tethered to an eyelet on the swag.

Yes, there were dingoes about. There were always fresh tracks around our campfires in the morning. I think they prefer girls but probably our bub was way too big for them, 10.5 lbs birth weight and apgar score of 10. :D

Did the same with the second and camped a couple of days at Dalhousie springs back in the days when you could camp along the creek. Couldn't get the kids out of the creek! We had to extract them to feed them and they would just go back and hop in the perfect water temperature with little fish nibbling their toes.

Hiking at that age and tent camping? Possible, but a lot of work and its a long way to the nappy disposal...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 6:51 pm

Well, you've all made me more than a little nervous. But we'll still persist and try it out.

I'm a gear addict - the little monkey already has a fleece jacket, icebreaker merino tops and gloves. Would seem a shame to waste them inside.

I'll report back once the deed is done. At the very least we can be a cautionary tale to others... :)
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion