Walking in areas of significance to Tradtional Owners

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Walking in areas of significance to Tradtional Owners

Postby slparker » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 11:54 am

puredingo wrote:
Hallu wrote:There is no debate here. When you migrate to a land devoid of people, inhabit that land, don't abuse its resources, and teach to respect it, for thousands of years, it's yours. Anyway we're just talking about Uluru there. When you visit Monument Valley and realise some bits you can't visit, you don't tell the Navajos "hey are you sure this is your land ? Can we debate this ?". There are places I can't visit in France. Some are rock art caves like Lascaux, others are certain regilious buildings, some are nature reserves. It's fine...

That sort of logic is easy enough to apply here on this continent but what about Europe or the other parts of the Americas...how far do you turn back the clock before you can lay claim to ownership of lands?

Imagine if one day they discover a race of people who pre-date the current Aboriginal and those people were driven into extinction...wouldn't that throw a few ownership spanners in the works? ( probably not, come to think of it)

Are there any examples of prehistoric people claiming ownership of land more recently occupied by Indigenous people? This does seem to be a strawman or red herring argument.

there is an oft quoted example in Australia of a purported ehtnic group predating Australian Aboriginal people who created the 'Bradshaw paintings'. This has been debunked by archaeologists, but this doesn't answer your point.

In tasmania, for example, the original group that occupied Tasmania has been traced back (linguistically) to Indigenous groups occupying the Warnnamabool region. Subsequent migration by Aboriginal People from the Yarra region displaced or merged with these people some 10000 years ago (during the last glacial maximum when sea levels were lower). If Tasmanian Aboriginal people had not been largely, but not completely, killed and nearly culturally extinguished, is it possible that the displaced people of the Midlands area could claim ownership as the original-original custodians? That seems fanciful - mainly because it is so far back in time that we do not know whether subsequent migrations were merged peacably or violently; that is there may have been no displacement or theft of land and could never be proven in a court of law as there is insufficient evidence.

You could state this about anywhere in Australia - if there was strong evidence that a Traditional Owner had displaced an earlier occupant, and that occupant claimed title - there would have to be eviednce that would be testable in court. the fact that this has the capacity to b etested in court does not invalidate Native Title claims in general. Any more than ownership of all motor vehicles is invalidated by one motor vehicle being stolen from a previous owner. It just means that the original owner has to test their ownership in court.

Compare that to more recent times where the palestinians in Israel, the Kurds in the Middle east and the Australian Aboriginal people in Australia can claim cultural, ethnic and ancestral links to land with uncertain, unknown or prehistoric previous evidence of land tenure.

When you consider these examples it becomes much clearer that the possibility of a historic previous tenant on land does not invalidate a later claim.

i am not accusing you of this, but those who vehemently oppose Indigenous rights use this argument (and the Bradshaw paintings) as some kind of fait accompli to invalidate Native Title claims. In Australia all land is legitimately that of traditional Owners (that is what the High Court determined in the Mabo ruling) and there are rules around what determines a Traditional Owber. importantly, the High Court determined that freehold land is not subject to Native Title claim.

In effect, Mabo determined that the familiar map of Australia ought to have the AIATSIS map superimposed over the top. https://aiatsis.gov.au/explore/articles ... -australia

In which case I was born in Panninher country and also the State of Tasmania. Currently I live on Dhudharoa country and also the State of Victoria. How much we acknowledge the Indigenous country on which we live is a matter of personal preference (or sometimes of local Government policy) but as far as the High Court is concerned there is a kind of national duality in Australia.

Most Australian citizens cannot tolerate this as a concept because we are brought up to see Australia as the Commonwealth nation/state - but the reality is that continental Australia is composed of Indigenous nations with the Commonwealth superimposed over the top. This binary state is still playing out in the courts (via Native Title and fishing hunting claims) and in the living rooms, radio waves and internet forums.

But we cannot escape the Mabo High Court decision - there was no Terra Nullius. We all have to come to terms with it.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 1:25 pm

slparker wrote: . . . But we cannot escape the Mabo High Court decision - there was no Terra Nullius. We all have to come to terms with it.

Nah, that's all to hard, mate. Ain't got time to go readin all that history crap. Look, doncha know there's a big race on tomorra. Gotta study the form, mate. Now horses, there's a proper type o hairitage for ya. Are ya UNAUSTRAYAN or somethin???
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 2:01 pm

Too right, Peregrinator....
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stepbystep » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 2:29 pm

geoskid wrote:....no one particular individual can claim to have a greater connection to 'Country'. Let alone a person younger than me claiming a greater connection to country than me. SBS, please, mate. WT *$&# is a new age custodian.

Weird. I was not referring to you. I don't know you or how old you might be....weird...

I would however contend some people, most definitely do have a greater connection to country than others, it is a learned thing. It is also a forgotten thing, so age is in fact irrelevant...

As far as your WT *$&# question goes, these(questions) I'll add, are usually followed with a question mark....... A 'new age custodian' a term I just coined btw(much friendlier than WT *$&#, non?) is simply someone that recognises the value of country and does what is within their capabilities to care for it. I look to expand my capabilities as I grow old and wise :shock:
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby stepbystep » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 2:32 pm

Great post slparker.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 3:09 pm

puredingo wrote:Imagine if one day they discover a race of people who pre-date the current Aboriginal and those people were driven into extinction...wouldn't that throw a few ownership spanners in the works? ( probably not, come to think of it)

Simple logic: if these hypothetical people are truly extinct, they cannot have any claim to the land (or indeed,anything else)
You didn't think that one through.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby LachlanB » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 3:59 pm

puredingo wrote:That sort of logic is easy enough to apply here on this continent but what about Europe or the other parts of the Americas...how far do you turn back the clock before you can lay claim to ownership of lands?

Imagine if one day they discover a race of people who pre-date the current Aboriginal and those people were driven into extinction...wouldn't that throw a few ownership spanners in the works? ( probably not, come to think of it)

Considering that Indigenous Australians and their cultures are anything but extinct, it wouldn't have any impact on their claims to land rights. Whether Indigenous Australians have land rights shouldn't be at question- Mabo settled that a long time ago.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby taswegian » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 5:51 pm

Considering that Indigenous Australians and their cultures are anything but extinct, it wouldn't have any impact on their claims to land rights
Except that would muddy the waters as then the argument would be "we (whites) only did what you (aborigines) did back then when you took over from...."
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby taswegian » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 6:10 pm

Over the many years I've wandered and worked across this landscape, both here and on the Mainland, I've never been far from the Aboriginal presence,mainly through old stone implements but on mainland some exquisite rock art. Mind boggling stuff.
I remember when Albert Namajira graced our school with his presence, painted and talked and played the gum leaf.
Then my work would take me to some special places, remote, or places where Aborigines were known to frequent.
It's always saddened me when I reflect on the lifestyles they lived which was suddenly changed.
It is inconceivable to me, to imagine the Aborigines of those days were dealt such a hard hit to their lifestyle in everything that implies.

Respect!
Is that a term with choices? Or is it an attribute we should all aspire to?
Do we have respect, or conditional respect depending on circumstances?

To answer the original question, I'd take the choice not to climb.
Many, many years ago I would have just climbed I imagine.
taswegian

Postby walkon » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:10 pm

Getting back to the original OP.
As an outdoor educator who takes groups into the Bush where there are places of significance. I feel that I'm morally bound to follow the indigenous peoples wishes. I've been guided by the message that they want to convey about an area. Usually we are welcome to take mixed groups into either Women's or Men's areas as we educate the memory of place. Education and acknowledging our history have given me access to lots of areas. If that changes then I'm fine with it. I don't feel the need that I have to go into a given area.
As Taswegian stated, it is simply respect. Ask of or research a given area and follow the local custodians wishes.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby jdeks » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:36 pm

The word 'respect' is being used in this thread a lot.

Anyone care to define it?
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby peregrinator » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:51 pm

I respect your right to find out for yourself. If can do that, I will respect you. So, can you define it for me?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hallu » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:59 pm

I don't know why this topic turned out into a thing where we overanalyse absolutely everything. Ownership, nation, respect... For what purpose exactly ? It feels like a sterile debate.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby peregrinator » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 10:10 pm

Hallu, while you call it "overanalysis", I'd suggest that "underanalysis" might be involved. Many people have not examined even basic issues in Australian history. I'm not clear what you mean by "sterile". Do you mean that it is pointless or useless?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 10:32 pm

peregrinator wrote:I respect your right to find out for yourself.

The thing is though mate, most comments in this thread, do not.

Most of the comments here are dictating standards they believe others should be made to comply with, ostensibly in the name of showing "respect", but justified largely based on their own personal, subjective viewpoints.

I know how *I* define respect, and I'm happy to share if your request is genuine. But - if people are going to go around telling other people how to behave , based supposedly on 'respect', I'm curious to know what their definition of 'respect' is, such that it gives them freedom to makes judgments on dissenters and advocate restricting their liberties.

Hallu wrote:I don't know why this topic turned out into a thing where we overanalyse absolutely everything. Ownership, nation, respect... For what purpose exactly ? It feels like a sterile debate.

This comment, along with your earlier statement - "There is no debate here" - echoes a sentiment I see frequently from one side of this discussion. Namely, that you consider any discussion on this topic contrary to your opinion, to be purposeless, without value and undeserving of, dare i say it, 'respect'.

Hence my earlier question about what exactly is the definition of 'respect' being applied here?
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 11:16 pm

I don't see any discussion on this purposeless, on the contrary. However I see it as futile when there is none of the actual persons concerned by this, i.e. native owners, taking part in the discussion. We're discussing the notion of an aboriginal nation, respect, and land ownership amongst ourselves (i.e. white people), it doesn't feel pertinent. It must have been debated at length by historians, native or not, so like peregrinator said, maybe let's first point out to their work, let's read it, and form our own opinion. I don't know it just feels weird to talk about all this amongst us white folks.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 11:33 pm

Hallu wrote:I don't see any discussion on this purposeless, on the contrary. However I see it as futile when there is none of the actual persons concerned by this, i.e. native owners, taking part in the discussion. ...I don't know it just feels weird to talk about all this amongst us white folks.

1) Seems to me like you're assuming the background of people here

2) Are you suggesting that discussion amongst 'white folks' requires someone non-'white' for it to be validated?
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 11:53 pm

1) Yes. Prove me wrong...
2) On that matter of course yes I believe it requires it... Don't you ?
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 12:05 am

Hallu wrote:1) Yes. Prove me wrong...
2) On that matter of course yes I believe it requires it... Don't you ?

Those attitudes are, by definition, racist.

I take it, then, they are the also the basis for your stance regarding public access to indigenous land?
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 12:22 am

what are you, insane ?
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 6:22 am

jdeks wrote:
peregrinator wrote:I respect your right to find out for yourself.

The thing is though mate, most comments in this thread, do not.

Most of the comments here are dictating standards they believe others should be made to comply with, ostensibly in the name of showing "respect", but justified largely based on their own personal, subjective viewpoint

Do you have any examples? Please list the comments that are disrespectful to you or others.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 7:29 am

jdeks wrote:2) Are you suggesting that discussion amongst 'white folks' requires someone non-'white' for it to be validated?

Discussion, no.
Conclusion, yes.

Not our lives, not our culture, not our land, not our decision.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 8:27 am

Hallu wrote:what are you, insane ?

No. And personal attacks like that only serve to illustrate my previous point.

slparker wrote:Do you have any examples? Please list the comments that are disrespectful to you or others.

You chose to scroll right past one, to post that. See above.

north-north-west wrote:
Not our lives, not our culture, not our land, not our decision.

Thanks - thats a fair reply and I see the point you're making.

But it still has the same fundamental problems. Firstly, you're dividing Australians into "us" and "them", which is hardly a reconciliatory approach. But secondly, it's assuming that arbitrary decisions about what is "ours" and what is "theirs" have no overflow consequences to the other parties.

The point here is there is an unresolvable contradiction in premises - You cannot use 'respect' as justification for granting one group something, when that same action detracts upon another - which it does in this case. If the respecting of wishes is important enough that one group deserves it, then it is important enough to be shown to the other - unless you decide that group is somehow less deserving than the first ("us" and "them"). In which case - are we really talking about 'respect'?

The crux of the issue here is that any group with beliefs that demand the restriction of other groups, are already failing to show the respect that they're asking to be treated with.

There's no way around this. It's the fundamental inconsistency of concession-based affirmative action. And it's why at this point in the discussion, the responses from advocates generally aim to shift or shut down the debate, usually with some derivative of 'You dont understand, you're privileged/selfish/western/white/bogan, two wrongs make a right, even debating this is wrong, its 'their land', OMG it's just basic/obvious/respect'.

The fact that attempts at an egalitarian approach to this matter are met with hostility and diversion, I think, makes it quite clear that some people have rather flexible ideas about what 'respect' is, if that really is the main motivator.

Hence my asking if anyone pushing the 'respect' line can in fact define it. No-one has yet.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 8:45 am

jdeks wrote: If the respecting of wishes is important enough that one group deserves it, then it is important enough to be shown to the other - unless you decide that group is somehow less deserving than the first ("us" and "them"). In which case - are we really talking about 'respect'?
The crux of the issue here is that any group with beliefs that demand the restriction of other groups, are already failing to show the respect that they're asking to be treated with.

Demanding access against the wishes of the owners and traditional custodians is also disrespectful.
Wherever you have more than one (one person, one idea, one group, one anything) there is conflict. Where one group has been privileged beyond another, that group has to concede some of those privileges if the other is going to achieve anything like equal rights. That is the idea behind affirmative action. It is not about privileging one group above another, but making up for (correcting) prior discrimination against them.

There is a daily ration of four biscuits for two people. One of those people has always taken three of the biscuits while the other gets one. This is privilege. In order to balance it, the person taking three has to take fewer so the other can get an equal share. It's not a difficult concept. Nor is it unfair on the person who used to take the most.

Hence my asking if anyone pushing the 'respect' line can in fact define it. No-one has yet.

'Consideration' and 'acceptance' are a good start.
How about we apply the rule of not actively disrespecting their wishes?

This has the potential to push the discussion into a much wider area, but many Aboriginal people often comment that a big part of their problem with the Australian government and its people is that they themselves have been denied the right to choose how their lives will be lived, how their land will be used, even how decisions that affect them will be made. So, OK, maybe 'respect' in this case, is accepting that they have the right to make their own decisions, and accepting what those decisions are.
Last edited by north-north-west on Tue 07 Nov, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LachlanB » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 8:46 am

jdeks wrote:The word 'respect' is being used in this thread a lot.

Anyone care to define it?

I don't think anyone has tried to define it because it is a highly complex term, despite its superficial simplicity. We could probably spend several more pages arguing over it...
To me, respect for a different culture is the ability to appreciate and empathise with the conclusions that group has made, even if I do not necessarily understand how those conclusions were reached myself. For instance, a (very) trivial example would be that I respect that the neighbour has a fully manicured lawn and would rather I don't walk over it, even though I don't understand why anyone would want a lawn rather than a nice garden full of native plants. But because I respect the neighbour's position, I accede to his wishes, and keep off his lawn.

I understand where you're coming from Jdeks with the comments in the post above. But the thing is that it's not a zero sum equation- refraining from climbing Uluru does not lead to any negative outcome for non-Indigenous Australians. Plus the important thing is that Indigenous Australians have suffered over 200 years of colonialism, and for many this colonial relationship continues. It is most certainly not water under the bridge. So in terms of achieving a social balance between Indigenous and non-Indigneous Australians, the balance need to come back a long way in favour of the former, and acts like respecting the wishes of the Traditional owners in non climbing Uluru are just one small part of achieving this.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 9:05 am

There are plenty of similar examples as well as those mentioned here.

The rock is on Aboriginal land, and the Aboriginal people have decided climbing the rock will be stopped soon. Their preference has been there for ever, and the numbers of people climbing the rock has reduced significantly over time, even though more tourists arrive at the rock now. I think they have allowed the climbing for a long time while they explain their cultural reasons and now they realise the climbing can be stopped because the significant section of the general population accept and agree to the Aboriginal preferences. As do I and most others.

The government has done the same to the federal parliament, no-one can climb over the parliament any more. In some religions, some areas of a church are restricted.

Anyone can deny that these decisions are reasonable if they want, but all of them are legal.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 9:23 am

I find it strange that the assumption here is that there are no Indigenous Australians contributing to this thread. What, can't your average garden variety half-cast use or afford a computer? I find this highly offensive ( actually I don't, but if you don't use that super "buzz" word occasionally it's just not a proper discussion)...

And Lachlan, not all suffered ( although the general way of life was altered beyond repair) some even prospered. It wasn't all lazing about billabongs and yam feasts, a teenage girl to woman's lot was quite often a brutal one.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 10:26 am

jdeks wrote:You chose to scroll right past one, to post that. See above.

No, i chose to respond to your point that was made before Hallu's ad hominem post.

So when you state 'most comments' which ones do you refer to?
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 10:39 am

jdeks wrote:You cannot use 'respect' as justification for granting one group something, when that same action detracts upon another - which it does in this case. If the respecting of wishes is important enough that one group deserves it, then it is important enough to be shown to the other - unless you decide that group is somehow less deserving than the first ("us" and "them"). In which case - are we really talking about 'respect'?

There's no way around this.

there is a way around it it is just that you appear not to be able to see it.

In regards to Aboriginal land you seem to be under the misapprehension that this land is 'granted'.
It is not -it is restored.
the land has been owned by the traditional custodians for generations. The Mabo High Court ruling determined that Australia was not Terra Nullius in the 18th century and Aboriginal people never ceded sovereignty of their country.

It has nothing to do with who 'deserves' the land or who 'believes' what. Aboriginal people have owned the land for generations - it was never legally alienated. The Mabo determination allows the formal legal transfer of land back to Aboriginal people if they can prove ancestry and continued cultural connections - which is a formality because as far as Aboriginal people are concerned it is their land.
Aboriginal people can then determine what they do with it - within Commonwealth and State legislation.

In the same way that access to many peaks in Australia is restricted by Freehold title, Native Title may involve restriction of access. So be it. I ask permission if I cross a farmer's property to get to a mountain feature within the property and I don't see this as a controversial use of the word 'respect'.

To answer your query about 'respect': what offense are you willing to cause to get what feel entitled to?
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 11:15 am

puredingo wrote: the general way of life was altered beyond repair) some even prospered. It wasn't all lazing about billabongs and yam feasts, a teenage girl to woman's lot was quite often a brutal one.

I never claimed that it would have been an easy life prior to European settlement. I wouldn't be so naive to make that claim, just as I would not belittle the lives that many of my ancestors lived in the UK and Germany.
However, the act of European settlement in Australia created unaccountable misery for the Indigenous peoples who lived here already. There is a readily accessible catalogue of plagues, massacres, dispossession from Country and disconnection from Country that many (probably most) Indigenous inhabitants of Australia had to suffer. For many, these were not a one off event in the last decades of the 18th century, but have been ongoing facts of existence, right through the 20th century and into the 21st.

As for the comment about Indigenous Australians reading this thread (ignoring the use of the archaic and offensive term 'half-caste'), the discussion has been framed in terms of how we, as non-Indigenous Australians, can interact with Indigenous understandings of Country. It is the prerogative of anyone to choose whether to engage with this discussion (this is an Internet forum after all), and likewise the prerogative of any Indigenous Australian who might be reading (or commenting on) this whether to raise the fact that they are Indigenous.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion