Female solo hikers/bushwalkers

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 2:44 pm

Are there many women who do hikes solo? I know it's very common for guys, and I know some female forum members mention doing solo hikes, but am curious to know how prevalent it is.

I've a female friend who I've helped accumulate (read "I've bought for her") lots of good gear - but she will only go hiking if I go with her. It seems like a massive waste, as well as meaning I can't go on as many solo hikes as I'd like as when I go I feel compelled to take her.

I'm not trying to be sexist - but how comfortable are female hikers going on their own. And if they are not is it because of city safety concerns (i.e, being attacked) or hiking safety concerns (i.e., falling down a cliff or being attacked by wombats)?
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Female solo hikers/bushwalkers

Postby Kainas » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 3:05 pm

I won't go alone, and that is because of personal safety concerns. I am not worried about falling down a cliff or being attacked by a wombat, but I am worried about creepy men (present company exclusded!!) who have decided to take up residence in the bush and I get to be the one to stumble across their paths.

Even without personal safety issues, men can be pigs when around a single woman. They act stupid, they talk stupid, they get creepy quickly - and as a woman you don't know their intentions. Is this just an odd guy you met on a hike, harmless, or is he misreading your signals and going to spend the night at the campsite harassing you? Your safety (and enjoyment) depends on reading the signals correctly.. it adds another dimension to bushwalking.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Kainas. Not a pretty picture you paint.

I think guys often forget this extra area of concern. I don't think I give more than a moments notice to other walkers when out and about...at least not in terms of possibel threat (more risk of "annoyance" if they try to talk to me).

Edit: it's really kind of sad too as to me hiking is the big chance to get away from everyone and everything. It would suck majorly if I couldn't just up and leave when I wanted to...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lizzy » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 3:41 pm

I bushwalk alone- though less frequently these days. I usually feel quite safe and enjoy my alone time. Actually the further away from civilisation I am the safer I feel. For example on my recent bushwalk in the NT I was most concerned on the last night (5th) as I was back in the reach of day walkers. I had a good look around but was the only person about :D
In terms of 'hiking' safety concerns I carry a PLB, phone, leave details of my walk and generally try not to be a moron and do stupid things. So far so good :D
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kainas » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 3:58 pm

ErichFromm wrote:Edit: it's really kind of sad too as to me hiking is the big chance to get away from everyone and everything. It would suck majorly if I couldn't just up and leave when I wanted to...

I feel that way. I often wonder what it would be like to be a man and not to even have to give that aspect a second thought.

ETA: I think if I wanted a good solo walk I would head to NZ and do some of the great walks, I would have no fear at all.

Having said all that, I don't want to solo walk. I love walking with somebody to share the experience.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 4:24 pm

I've wanted to ask this question to the solo female walkers who lob into my camp site, I'm mostly on my own. But didn't want to make them uncomfortable or uneasy pointing it out. Had to laugh as these women were braver than most blokes as regardless of sex most people walk in groups and only really feel 'safe' this way.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 4:37 pm

walkon wrote:...most people walk in groups and only really feel 'safe' this way.

Human is known to be a communal animal. 8)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kainas » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 5:46 pm

It is actually a large factor that has kept me from bushwalking in recent years. The kids were too young, and hubby watching them while I go out walking was not an option, and with no family close enough to look after children for a day - bushwalking was simple removed from the list of things that we could do (although we made a couple of attempts with the kids).
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 6:06 pm

You are not wrong about the effect of kids on one's pursuit of leisure and hobbies. It's a 12 year "pain". But back to the topic. I am disappointed to hear of the impact of crime in society on one's confidence to bushwalk. Solutions?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 6:34 pm

Well I see solo bushwalking women in France, but since we have so few National Parks, that means on most walks they can bring their dog if they wanna feel safe. It's a pretty good deterrent for "pigs". Now, in Australia, I've just searched records of sexual assaults in NPs, so far I've only found 2, adjacent to urban areas (Noosa National Park and Royal NP). Sexual predators wouldn't bother attacking women in remote NPs, less "prey" I guess... But I can understand that even regular men can be annoying with their looks, and persistent talking, thinking women enjoy their stupid flirting while it just makes them angry and/or scared. No obvious solution there, changing bogan mentality isn't easy...
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby GBW » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 6:36 pm

From a mans point of view, :o I reckon there's plenty of girls out there that can hold their own. And as for sexual predators on the tracks...I'd be more worried about stepping on a snake. I usually walk with my partner and we share the experience together, but if she said to me "I want to go on a solo adventure" then I'd be like "Go for it". Creepy guys she might meet out there wouldn't be on my "10 Most Dangerous Hazards" list.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pongo » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 7:19 pm

Sounds like a valid concern, there are some shifty folk out there.

Although not a woman, I often pack my trusty german shepherd when hiking. Although not ultralight at 30kg+ they do a pretty good job of keeping you safe.

Find a protective pooch, a handful of parks where you can take them, and hit those trails! :-)
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers

Postby Travis22 » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 7:21 pm

Guess you'd have to choose your location/ destination carefully but I'd be extremely surprised to hear of a woman in countering one of these such described *&%$#! in a remote area away from towns/ 2wd accessible campgrounds etc.

Can I go out on a limb and ask would you say these 'creeps' are in a certain age bracket? 20-30,30-40,40-50? I'd like to think the younger hikers / outdoor size guys today are much more educated on what's write and wrong and not objectifying women etc...??

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Eljimberino » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 7:22 pm

Delete.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 7:53 pm

I've never encountered a female hiking on her own - never really thought about it until recently. A few hikes ago I was on top of Mt Buggery sheltering from the rain when two older women came by. They shared my fire long enough to dry off but then moved to their own camp. Only later did I realise they may have been cautious of me....again not a way of thinking most guys are used to.

I guess it's even more dangerous than the city in that regard- no one around to help etc.

Can't think of any solutions outside of mace or something
Would like to believe that bushwalking folk wouldnt warrant such precautions...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 9:05 pm

I suspect off-track walking may be the safest. Least chance of crossing path with another. Just make sure there's no one following nor walking into a wild camp. I read that RNP used to have a number of wild campers in there. Makes sense given its proximity to suburban areas. I'd be surprised if there are similar in the more remote NPs. Just a shame that a woman can't feel safe in a supposedly civil society.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 9:57 pm

I like walking alone as I can set my own pace, avoid mountain tops if not essential to get the destination and I am perfectly happy in my own company. I also walk with small groups, sometimes as the only female. But solo you need to pick your places and times. Too close to road access for drinking session overnighters is always to be avoided, but the OLT in peak season is also off the agenda due to crowds with short tempers or heightened senses of entitlement.

The problem is not really that different to finding yourself alone among a bunch of blokes out to show each other how good they are. That can happen anywhere, not just in the bush. The difference is how well you can get away. I have no great concern about speaking to people along the way but its the body language and delivery that is more informative than words. If you feel uncomfortable you move away - quickly and as discretely as possible. Not every male you meet in the bush is a threat and often the failure to stay around is more likely to be a preference for solitude that any fear of the people you meet. It is also a courtesy - who says everyone wants to hang out together at one camp site? You may want to be alone just as much as any lone female you come across on the track, so the lone female is simply showing you some consideration by giving you space.

Personal safety is a consideration but its priority is based the on gut feel regarding the people you meet. Its not as simple as "single male - beware", "group of men - run away"
gayet

Postby Kainas » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 10:29 pm

The safest I ever felt in my life was when I was my fittest. I remember pulling over one day needing a break from a 10hr drive and we stopped at Burning Mountain on the New England Highway. We (my husband and I) noticed a bushwalk and decided to take it. I remember how we ran the entire track. I remember feeling so powerful, a sense that I could out run any average joe. It made me feel strong, and it is one of the reasons I like being fit - that feeling of strength.

I use the term creepy guys, I would be curious as to what other women experiences are. Mine are that creepy guys come in all shapes and sizes, I have found in any male-dominated arena creepy men exist. My own father doesn't let me sail with him because he would rather have boobs on the front of the boat then an able crewman. I sailed with a skipper once that wanted us all to flash the starter boat on the way past - with the exception of his wife all the other female crew were utterly gobsmacked, he also like to have the girls sunbake on the deck. I sat chatting with a skipper once, introducing myself I thought, as he slowing inched his way across the bench seat until I realised I had back away so much I was no longer sitting on it. Working in a diner on nightshift when I was younger I was accosted every single night with offers to 'stop by my cab on your way home'. I could go on with many more examples in many different areas in which men are able to access women in a way that they felt they could get away with this behaviour. I am saying this to show that there is a huge number of men who have not caught up with the idea that it is wrong to treat women this way.

A certain calibre of bloke exists - in vast numbers - that will take a swing and hope to make a go of it. Most, although vulgar, are completely harmless, but there were a number of nights when I felt unsafe enough that I called a taxi rather the walked home (and I was a girl that felt perfectly safe walking to work at 9pm at night along a 2km stretch of bushland).

I appreciate that the statistics show the issue is more fear than reality. However, the same statistics show that the likelihood of a child being abducted is negligible, and yet most parents don't send there kids to the parks, or let them walk to school. I have looked at a few rape statistics and numbers vary, most seem to suggest about 1% of sexual assaults are by strangers. In NSW there is close to 10,000 cases per year (assault, not necessarily rape), and in Victoria about 2000 cases of rape per year. 1% of these figures is still very very high -

So I would choose not to be walking alone in an isolated environment, particularly overnight. I am 15years older so I am not afraid of attracting the same sort of men hoping for sex, and I absolutely feel more confident deflecting this behaviour (though bruising an ego isn't something that I would want to risk when I am out alone), but I am also a much slower runner!
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 1:06 am

It's very interesting to read the replies of the ladies because in my limited experience I have found 99% of the people I have had a chat too on a hike to be polite, well mannered and a pleasure to talk to. (Ladies and gents)
Perhaps I have been lucky, or perhaps it is because I have always had my wife or son with me and I my general nature is non threatening.

I can understand where some of the comments are coming from though. Trying to find family friendly outings within some of our other past times that are generally male dominated can be quite an eye opener. Speaking of rude, foul mouthed, creepy idiots who feel the need to act like total tools because there are females present it is no wonder we are particular who we enjoy our hobbies with now!

Mind you I have also come across some females who I would prefer my children weren't around as well ;)

But not wanting to go off topic too much, I would also like to point out that I have also felt vulnerable at times while being relatively remote and camping so I can imagine a female would/could also, I hope I'm not sounding sexist by saying that.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 8:07 am

Only rarely have I come across single women walking in Australia but I on my long walks in Europe it was far more prevalent (but not common) to come across women doing similar long walks solo. When chatting as one does, I generally found them open and communicative. I even walked with a few for a couple of hours or even a couple of days in two cases. When asked about walking solo they all said they were more worried about walking alone in large towns rather than when walking in the mountains.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 9:19 am

DanShell wrote:It's very interesting to read the replies of the ladies because in my limited experience I have found 99% of the people I have had a chat too on a hike to be polite, well mannered and a pleasure to talk to.

Then obviously it's that 1% that's the problem.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 9:20 am

Mark F wrote:When chatting as one does, I generally found them open and communicative. I even walked with a few for a couple of hours or even a couple of days in two cases...

Ok, MarkF wins the charmer award! :D
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Snowzone » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 9:21 am

I walk anyway I get a chance to, in groups or alone, day walks or multiday. I don't think bushwalking is any different for females or males. If you walk alone you face the same dangers no matter what. The further I am in the bush the safer I feel and I would imagine guys on their own near bogan campsites could be or feel intimidated just the same as a woman.
Occasionally I come across others at bush campsites, I give them 'space' just as I would anywhere. There is nothing worse than having someone set up right alongside when they have the area of a football oval to camp in. This is not out of concern for safety but respect. I also have no problem joining someone around a campfire or having someone warm themselves at mine, you just have to know when you are wearing out your welcome. Again none of these are male/female issues, it is simply being able to read people.
Snowzone

Postby DanShell » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:18 am

GPSGuided wrote:
DanShell wrote:It's very interesting to read the replies of the ladies because in my limited experience I have found 99% of the people I have had a chat too on a hike to be polite, well mannered and a pleasure to talk to.

Then obviously it's that 1% that's the problem.

The other 1% for me were not so much of a problem they have been simply head down and not willing to even say hello. Which is fine, there may have been a perceived language barrier for all I know :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:28 am

Snowzone wrote:The further I am in the bush the safer I feel and I would imagine guys on their own near bogan campsites could be or feel intimidated just the same as a woman...

I agree with this sense. No different when out walking on city streets. There are characters who I just want to stay as far as possible.

So a follow on question is, what measures does one take for these solo walks? Apart from avoidance, how about martial art self defense traing? Whistle? Knife or pepper spray or other defensive weapons?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:39 am

GPSGuided wrote:
So a follow on question is, what measures does one take for these solo walks? Apart from avoidance, how about martial art self defense traing? Whistle? Knife or pepper spray or other defensive weapons?

Im not sure if your talking about males and females but for me I think any form of self defence in the way of aggression would only be required if it had escalated into a life or death situation. I certainly wouldn't suggest a knife.

I am happy to say in my 45 years on earth I have never had to resort to any sort of violence to defend myself. Yes I have seen some situations escalate that were beyond my control but removing myself form the area has always worked so far and hopefully I am never in the situation where I need to fight for my or my families life.

I am not sure if a female would feel better carrying some sort of pepper spray or not?? It is disappointing that we live in a world that even has to have these discussions but its a sad fact these day, even though very slim chance of it actually happening.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:48 am

Perhaps controversial, but could a PLB be used in such a situation of "grave and imminent danger"?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Snowzone » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:58 am

GPSGuided wrote:
Snowzone wrote:The further I am in the bush the safer I feel and I would imagine guys on their own near bogan campsites could be or feel intimidated just the same as a woman...

I agree with this sense. No different when out walking on city streets. There are characters who I just want to stay as far as possible.

Nope just adds extra weight. Read the situation and stay clear of it in the first place. The bush is really not that bad... I have only ever felt threatened on one occasion camped at JB Hut site at Dinner Plain. I moved. I might have felt a little unsure at times so acted accordingly, either kept to myself, pretended there was another person in the tent with me or had phone contact and talked on the phone with someone.

I'm not going to start wrapping myself up in cottonwool and being too scared to walk alone because of potential boogie men that I really don't see as being around every corner. I'm not that paranoid that I feel every man out there is out to attack or hassle. I do give the opposite sex a bit more credit than that.
Strider wrote:Perhaps controversial, but could a PLB be used in such a situation of "grave and imminent danger"?

I carry a plb at all times and if I felt I was in iminent danger I would certainly be ready to push the button. I would still try to remove myself from the possibility to begin with.
Snowzone

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:24 am

Strider wrote:Perhaps controversial, but could a PLB be used in such a situation of "grave and imminent danger"?

I doubt it. If someone (male or female) was pounced upon, I doubt there'd be enough time to set off a PLB. Also, the attacker could simply switch it off or disable it by force. Needs an emergency beacon that's far less obvious.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 1:13 pm

What if someone was being stalked? A chopper overhead would almost certainly be a deterrent? Plus, it contains police who could then pursue the weirdo?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion