BLISTER PREVENTION: A Foolproof Guide to Blister Management

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: BLISTER PREVENTION: A Foolproof Guide to Blister Managem

Postby slparker » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 2:00 pm

quill wrote:
slparker wrote:[quote="Eremophila"
Has anyone tried Condy's Crystals? Seems you can use them to soak your feet over an extended period, to toughen the feet. There is resultant discolouration but would have to be better than blistering.
:(

Condy's crystals (potassium permanganate) can be used as an antifungal agent in the way that you have described. To my knowledge it does little to toughen the feet. Application of methylated spirits on the feet is reputed to harden the skin against the friction of walking. It is used traditionally (that is, supported by anecdotal evidence) by soldiers - but then soldiers also used to inject betadine directly into blisters to treat them....

I doubt that application of either of these agents would substantially 'toughen' the feet; perhaps they provoke the same hypertrophy (i.e. callus formation) that walking does but the substance would have to reach the underlying dermal layers of the foot to achieve this. On balance of probability I reckon that this is a myth and nothing replaces doing increasingly lengthy walks in the boots/shoes you are intending to use for a long pack walk.

I can't speak from personal experience but I hear metho is popular with runners, gymnasts, rowers and ballet dancers as well as soldiers. This proves nothing of course but it seems popular among people who would know. I can't speak to how it works (if it does) but I do know the epidermis is only a few hundred cells thick. Regular application of metho would have no problems penetrating to and affecting the dermis. It could be the drying effect thins the epidermis and superficial dermis as water is removed, increasing direct pressure on the dermis. It's this direct pressure which stimulates callus formation.

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/?showtopic=19403

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threa ... ses.25690/[/quote]

yep I agree, the epidermis is a porous layer - despite its water resistant properties. It is plausible that Condy's crystals solution to penetrate to some depth, I was probably mistaken, given that you soak the feet for an hour in the stuff for it to do its job. Nevertheless, I don't think it 'toughens' the feet though, as it is an antifungal/antibacterial agent.
I have heard of, and had been advised to use, metho when I was a young soldier. I have no idea whether it actually works any better than just wearing in your boots as I have not seen a controlled trial on it. I have anecdotally heard of other problems, i.e. cracking of the soles of the feet, blistering under the callus etc although that can happen anyway.
I sincerely doubt that it could be better at 'toughening' (whatever that means) than controlled and increasing exposure to wearing of the footwear you're bushwalking in as the callus formation will be on the areas most subject to weight and friction - the callus is the bodies normal protective barrier against friction.
That and other friction prevention modalities as mentioned above would be my choice of prevention before I would try metho... It probably wouldn't do harm but there's no way that i can see it working better than training in the boots you're intending to wear.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hiking Noob » Fri 17 Apr, 2015 11:24 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if your skin does toughen from covering it in alcohol, I would assume it would strip the natural oils and you would end up with a thicker layer of dead skin.

I use to work as a diesel mechanic and your hands are constantly in contact with solvents and your hands end up feeling harder/more rough even on the back side of your hands.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby digbyg » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 5:07 pm

No one has mentioned salt imbalance as one of the primary causes of blistering. I started getting hotspots on the second month of walking the appalachian trail. A passing trail runner told me to drink more gatorade et al as the hot day and salt imbalance was causing the skin to delaminate. And it was that simple. A liter of sugary salty water a day and no more blisters. Mind you all the other factors such as fitting boots have to be in alignment as well.'
I also found that not lacing the bottom two rungs of eyes, then lacing the top half around the ankle firmly allowed my toes room to move and eliminated the top pressure on the foot.
Metho washes increase toughness of the skin but for me that meant blisters developing more deeply
digbyg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Hallu » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 5:48 pm

Never heard of the salt thing but I'll try it one day, see what happens.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Rear Admiral » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 10:28 pm

There's this one company I've come across....I don't have anything to do with them whatsoever, but they make some absolutely brilliant products.

Chafing and/or jock itch? -

http://www.egopharm.com/qv-sport-chafing-cream/

http://www.egopharm.com/resolve-jock-itch-cream/

When showering or bathing before and after long hikes or runs, nothing compares to a combination of these two products:

http://www.egopharm.com/qv-sport-3-in-1-shower-wash/ - this has menthol in it.

http://www.egopharm.com/pinetarsol-gel/

When using both these products, the soothing feeling is beyond words. Until you try them, words just don't describe.

There may be other products about that may suit some people better, but these above are definitely worth a try.
Rear Admiral
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 5:57 am

Engo patches work. There's also a book from the same place, Rebecca Rushton:
http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/
BWA had two articles by Rebecca,
February 2015 - cover of two people and a sunset, and
April 2015 - lady getting water from a stream
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 9:30 am

Summary of a quick lit search in blister prevention:

[*]single or double socks capable of wicking away moisture
[*]one study showed a thin polyester undersock was effective
[*]in one double blind placebo controlled study, aluminium based perspirant applied to the soles for at least 3 consecutive days reduced blisters by 27% (vs placebo)
[*]Recent exposure of the skin to repeated low intensity friction (i.e. training ) results in a number of adaptations including cellular proliferation and epidermal thickening, which may reduce the likelihood of blisters
[*]Two studies using Spenco insoles have been shown to reduce blisters by approximately 25% (18,19). Blist-O-Ban bandage (SAM Medical Products) also has been shown to reduce the incidence of foot friction blisters on the soles, toes, and heels
[*]Blister prevention considerations related to frictional interfaces besides the skin (sock-shoe and sock-sock interfaces) have not received adequate scientific investigation. Theoretically, by reducing friction at these other interfaces, the friction acting on the skin can be reduced. Thus, low-friction socks, double layers of socks, toe socks, and polytetrafluoroethylene patches (ShearBan or ENGO Blister Prevention Patches, Tamarack Habilitation Technologies, Inc., Blaine, MN) applied to the shoe at high pressure areas are considerations.
[*]Closed-celled neoprene insoles have been found to be effective at reducing foot blisters . This effect is likely from shear forces being absorbed within the insole rather than the skin . There also is some evidence that thick socks may reduce blister incidence through a similar mechanism. Theoretically, a soft shoe midsole also might allow for this effect to some extent.
[*]probably DON'T use emollients as these last for about one hour before softening the epidermis
[*]Theoretical preventive strategies related to the determinants of skin characteristics include callous removal to reduce areas of localized pressure, use of proper footwear and socks to reduce excessive heat and sweat accumulation at the skin, maintenance of proper body hydration, adequate training to induce proper skin adaptations, and maintenance of epidermal health. The role of skin adaptation is demonstrated in a study of military personnel in which there was lower blister severity development from a hike among those who usually ran more than 48 km·wk-1 compared with those who ran less than 16 km·wk-1

"The key to prevention is the gradual and progressive wearing of the activity-specific footwear, causing an adaptive response in the epidermal layer of the skin: “foot hardening” . This, coupled with a proper fit, will reduce the incidence of blisters. "
- but we already knew that.

Hoffman, M (2016) Etiological Foundation for Practical Strategies to Prevent Exercise-Related Foot Blisters. American College of Sports Medicine. Volume 15 - Issue 5 - p 330–335
WILDERNESS MEDICAL SOCIETY PRACTICE GUIDELINES: WILDERNESS & ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE, 25, 295–310 (2014)
Brennan, F. (2013) Treatment and Prevention of Foot Friction Blisters. American College of Sports Medicine. Volume 17(6), p 45–46
Friction Blisters. Knapik, J.J., Reynolds, K.L., Duplantis, K.L. et al. Sports Med (1995) 20: 136. doi:10.2165/00007256-199520030-00002
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 10:56 am

It's amazing that in all that there is no one way that catagorically prevents blisters for all.
My own personal and most recent solution that hasn't let me down (yet???) is to use Fixomul and Coolmax socks. So far so good.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Hallu » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 8:04 pm

Well there are some general advice that work for all. A good fitting pair of shoes for example. Climate is also a factor. The hotter it is, the more likely the blisters. You feet sweat more, they wrinkle, and friction/chafing is more pronounced. That's why you get awful chafing when wearing wet clothes. I'm assuming the salt in your sweat doesn't help. Otherwise for socks, products, bandages, tape, it varies from person to person apparently.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion