Wild dog encounters

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Wild dog encounters

Postby scouts1 » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 9:49 am

Took this photo yesterday on way home from Daveys Hut walk, KNP.
It's known as the Dog Tree locally. Been there for years and obviously someone local doesn't like the wild dogs.
That's a lot of dogs hanging there and fallen on the ground . You can drive right up to it
Attachments
image.jpeg
scouts1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GBW » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:13 am

Recently saw numerous individuals and a pack of 5 along the Tabletop Mtn Trail between Kiandra and Happys Hut. They all bolted when they saw us but they're definitely around some areas...not for long hopefully...

IMG_4326.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG
Last edited by GBW on Wed 16 Mar, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Xplora » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 3:55 am

scouts1 wrote:Took this photo yesterday on way home from Daveys Hut walk, KNP.
It's known as the Dog Tree locally. Been there for years and obviously someone local doesn't like the wild dogs.
That's a lot of dogs hanging there and fallen on the ground . You can drive right up to it

There are quite a few 'dog trees' around. This one does have a good number. The one near Benambra could rival it. Some places like Omeo have a dog fence. Bundarra valley has a tree but it is a bit thin on dogs. I have been told there is a dog they call the Alpine Dingo which is reddish in colour and a bushy tail with a white or yellowy stripe. They have a very dingo like face and a big head. Not sure how much real Dingo is in them but some people in PV would like to keep the strain going. We see them from time to time around home but as there are no sheep they seem to cause no trouble. They are quite distinctive from the other dogs and in the photo of the dog tree I can see what looks to be a couple hanging.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sambar358 » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 12:00 pm

I get a few wild dogs on the trail cameras most winters on my sambar sets and there's certainly a fair variety of shapes, sizes and colours among them.......and mostly in the alpine country you'll get the odd "dingo type" with the yellow/copper coat, white underside, big broad head and shortish brush tail carried high. Snapped this fella last autumn in the high country just cruising past an old sambar scrape and rub tree and he'd be pretty close to the Alpine Dingo that Xplora mentioned above. Wild dogs will often visit sambar deer features probably looking for some fresh scent to go an investigate and they'll certainly have a go at a sambar deer when the situation is right or there are a few dogs in a pack to even-up the contest a bit. Cheers

s358

sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 4:33 am

That is the one Sambar although the few I have seen around home have been a little more red. When in NP they are a Dingo and on farmland they are a wild dog and fair game. Some of the other varieties around here are very Kelpie like and black. Definitely not Dingo.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 9:56 am

There is definitely Black pure bred dingo's, Xplore so hold your fire! haha.

Contrary to popular belief a dingo won't readily breed with a domestic dog under normal circumstances. The pack would be more likely to kill an outsider rather than let it intergate. Although unfortunately it does happen....like all animals we know how it gets after a few days out bush all alone.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 10:57 am

puredingo wrote:There is definitely Black pure bred dingo's, Xplore so hold your fire! haha.

We had one a while back that was stalking the horses. It was very Kelpie like and was more likely trying to round them up. One day we were clearing one of the tracks with the machine and it popped up behind us with the machine running and us around. Most of their diet comes from grubs and worms so it was getting the stuff we had turned out. Not much Dingo in this one so it went the next time I saw it with one shot from the .222. Funny thing is it looked just like the neighbours dog. I did a double check and made sure it wasn't. Soon after that another almost the same colour. I had it in my scope and my partner said to check for a collar. I hesitated and the shot was lost. Not seen it since.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 7:21 pm

I've seen the black desert Dingos that look the dead spit of your common garden variety Kelpie but you being in Vicco and it showing Herding behaviour then yeah, probably a stray eking out a living in the scrub....maybe a sibling you seen?

I'm not one for shooting dogs, feral or Native....the ferals die off pretty quick and the Dingo, well, it has its place. Now if that .222 was directed at every cat on your place, now that would be a useful thing!

And yep, you don't get much time with them. I don't even bother dropping my pack to retrieve my camera, I know by the time that I get it the Red dog will be on to me and gone.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Sat 19 Mar, 2016 7:19 am

We are not far from sheep country where the feral dog has caused a great amount of damage. I am told the dogs moved in not long after PV did a shoot of feral goats and left the carcasses behind but that could be more local gossip than truth. Sometimes they get to cattle but it is not often. Mostly they clean up the afterbirth but the neighbour still baits for dogs. We have lots around and there has been an impact on some native animals because of them. A baiting and trapping program has been going and aerial baiting has been trialed. As for cats. They get there fair share of lead when we get the chance. We have seen these red dogs several times and once we watched as two of them walked across the paddock, stopping for about 10 minutes to lay down. Needless to say we did not shoot them but did not have the camera charged either. I agree the with some aspects of the Dingo and its right to be here but other ferals can take their chances with my aim.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion