Umbrella and walking.

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Umbrella and walking.

Postby under10kg » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 5:36 pm

I was interested while reading a book called Beyond Backpacking by Jardine when he raved about using an umbrella on his 3 month long walks.
I thought this was rather strange, why would a guy that started the lightweight trekking trend in the USA use an umbrella.

I tried using a light umbrella in my walks and discovered I really liked it. Actually walking with an umbrella is fun. I found that I did not have to wear a heavy parka and hood and sweat in rain. I could wear a very light highly breaverable windshirt with no hood and not sweat and really enjoy the walk. Something about using a hood seems to enclose you in somehow.

I also found walking with an umbrella when the sun was hot was much better than a hat. One kept a lot, lot cooler. Jardine in his desert walks added some light space foil to the umbrella with rubber bands to reflect the heat.

You do get real strange looks when walking with an umbrella on a bushwalk. Of course, some walks in scrub and rainforest are not so suitable for an umbrella.

Please note not to use an umbrella with a steel shaft in a thunder storm.

Has anyone in this forum tried an umbrella bushwalking?
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:10 pm

As you said, it would be rather useless in some areas (most areas of Tasmania, for sure). It would also be useless in any area during windy weather (and in Tasmania when it rains, it's usually windy). So if you're going to take an umbrella, you'd need to take all the other wet weather gear as well.

I can see that it might be OK for sun shade on a day walk though.

I did see a guy using an umbrella on the way up Mt Ossa once (sunny day). I though he was a bit of a looney at the time. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Return to Bushwalking Discussion