Very sore newbie.

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Very sore newbie.

Postby DarrenM » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:05 am

Lenishta,

Glad to hear you are still keen to do the multiday stuff. Most people expect packs to fit perfectly and not leave them feeling sore and stiff after buying new, hiring or borrowing etc, but IMO it's as much about conditioning your body to carry 15-20kg's on a regular basis.

Getting the correct fit is an obvious start point but like learning to ski, it takes a season or two for all the different muscles to strengthen and work together before you think less about the discomfort and more about the enjoyment. Think about how often you put that amount of weight on your shoulders on a regular basis and walk all day.

I don't believe the majority of people start out with the perfect fit and never get some kind of fatigue or soreness. Perfect world scenario and great if you have achieved this.

I have had 6 or 7 packs over the years (over 30 years) and all of them gave me some kind of soreness in the breakin period. The more I used a particular pack the better it felt which is simply due to breaking the harness down a little until it fit my body shape.

My favourite packs seemed to hurt the most initially but perseverance paid off. Mostly sore shoulders to start with but moving the load around (on and off the hips etc.) during the day helped. Thinking you're going to buy a pack off the shelf, load it up, and have a trouble free introduction is a little optimistic if you haven't carried heavy loads in the past. If I were to buy a new pack now, my break in period would be very minimal as I'd say my body is conditioned already.

Keep at it and I'd be interested to hear more of any future trips and the outcome.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kainas » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 3:06 pm

I had a good giggle at your post. What a hilarious start to your bushwalking adventures - great stories!!
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 5:25 pm

Lenishta, you mentioned that one of the unfortunate events was the pack drenching at high tide crossing Sealers Creek. So I'm just mentioning here in case you didn't know that you can search in advance for tide times if you happen to be walking there again to complete the circuit that eluded you this time (or elsewhere along the coast). Nearest location to Sealers Cove is:

http://tides.willyweather.com.au/vic/gippsland/refuge-cove.html

So with these times in mind and depending on the date, you might plan to do an anti-clockwise circuit from Telegraph Saddle, to be able to depart Sealers at low tide rather than do a clockwise circuit and arrive at high tide. Alternatively, go clockwise but aim to arrive at Sealers rather earlier than originally planned.

As for packs, plenty of good advice here. I'll also recommend Aarn. Had shoulder pain with conventional packs but virtually none with Aarn, despite now carrying slightly heavier loads some of the time (extra water). Down-side is they're fairly expensive but lookout for second-hand. Of course you might find the perfect pack for you could be anything except Aarn.

By the way, once you're in practice you can do that Prom circuit easily enough in one day and not need to carry a heavy pack at all!
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby rogo » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 6:30 pm

There is an art to packing a pack as well. Plenty of you tubes to do some research. I like to put the big 3 (tent, sleeping bag, mat) in first against my back in the top compartment. I don't use small dry bags but pack into a pack liner (very important in my opinion). Then I cram my soft stuff around every mm of space left around the big 3. Odd shaped stuff that isn't too heavy at the top especial PLB and first aid kit at the very top. I think keep the heavy stuff against your back to help with stability. Food is in the bottom compartment in dry bags sorted into breakfast lunch and dinner. Snacks and water are in easy to get places on the outside as are maps. I find it amazing how many walkers you see with their sleeping bags and mats on the outside no protection against the elements. I am paranoid about wet gear so I have a pack cover as well. The thought of an uncomfy night in wet gear AND carrying the weight of unnecessary water isn't my thing.

Keep going on your adventures, it is the best feeling. I also second Osprey packs, very comfy and made to suit my body shape as a 50 something female.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby madmacca » Tue 28 Jul, 2015 12:11 pm

]
gayet wrote:A simple step, not actually mentioned yet - make sure the load lifters at the top are tightened to bring the pack up against your back at the top. Reduces the strain on shoulders and neck greatly.

Yeah this was one of my thoughts with the sore shoulders. Loose load lifters means the load of the pack shifts around, jerking the shoulder straps with each strap. Snugging the load lifter straps down ensures the pack and your back move as one.

Photo below identifies the straps. (Although having the hydration pack strapped on the back and a long way from your centre of gravity is a definite no-no.)
[attachment=0]BackpackAdjustment.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
BackpackAdjustment.jpg
BackpackAdjustment.jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lenishta » Fri 27 Nov, 2015 9:42 am

UPDATE - WE DID IT!!!
First night Refuge, second halfway hut. Had an amazing time - realised how much more fitness I will need for overland in Feb - so that's a good thing.

Learned more about packs - this time my daughter was supplied with a really incorrect bag fromt he hire place and paid the price but we met great people on the track - including a guy who worked for Paddy Pallin previously and he taught us a lot.
Bought a filter pump to get over the yellow in the water - it failed off course and still yellow- but I had to drink it so got past that mental barrier which I consider another win. Feeling great and huge thank you for the advice and support from out failed attempt which helped us do this successful one!!
Lenishta
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Alittleruff » Fri 27 Nov, 2015 1:42 pm

YAY! Well done. Glad to hear that you had an amazing time. I was down at Sealers with my 8 year old daughter on the weekend. Brilliant place, I can't wait to go back! I'm tweaking a few things first though.

The color of the water didn't bother us one bit. We did use Aquapure tabs from the chemist, just to make sure we didn't get sick from the water. However, clearly this was something that not everyone did and quite a few people just had the water as it was.

congrats on a great hike.
Alittleruff
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sim1oz » Fri 27 Nov, 2015 4:39 pm

Glad to hear that you are going to persist. I have an Aarn pack (which I love) and the first few times I walked I got a burning sensation like you described. I put it down to learning how to adjust the straps to suit me, poor posture as I leaned forward too much, and conditioning. Now I am constantly amazed at how the weight of the pack disappears once I have it on my back (not so much when I am lifting it up). My pack never gets heavier than about 12 kg - that was for 8 days on the OLT - and I am still looking for ways to lighten it up. Learning is all part of the adventure!

At the Prom, we filtered the water a couple of times, but it never really gets to 'clear' as you can see in the photo.
Attachments
Prom walk 694 REDUCED.JPG
Prom water AFTER filtering twice (or was it three times?)
Prom walk 694 REDUCED.JPG (97.21 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lorrainey100 » Sat 28 Nov, 2015 8:12 am

Looks like tannins from decayed organic matter like you get in your tea. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the water is boiled, uv'd or filtered for micro organisms.
lorrainey100
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 8:15 pm

in heavy tannin water, filtering is best anyway since the organics in the water use up the chlorine from the tabs. Probably not a huge deal, but not a risk I want to take.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion