safety margin article

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

safety margin article

Postby wayno » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 6:00 am

http://www.explore-mag.com/Gadds_Truth_Have_a_Margin

I’ve been doing “serious” mountain sports for more than 35 years. I’ve bled a lot, but probably more from mosquito bites than from traumatic injuries. My worst accidents mostly involve toboggans in elementary school and volleyball and basketball in high school. But I’ve seen many accidents in the mountains over the last four decades, and lately I’ve started to wonder what separates those of us who injure ourselves (or die) from those of us who don’t. And there are some patterns. I’ve been discussing these patterns with friends who are guides, paddlers, mountain bikers and skiers, and I’m interested in the common themes and experiences.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: safety margin article

Postby beean » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 6:54 am

Interesting article Wayno.

I used to think people were nutters before starting mountain sports myself. Now I find myself doing things that I'm comfortable with that would label me a nut, but is safe according to my skill levels and the environment. It also changes the way you pack for a trip, if you approach with the willingness to bail due to not having suitable gear for the conditions you encounter then it's potentially safer than travelling on with the kitchen sink on your back.
beean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 6:15 pm

My own margin is on a slider. I have taken huge risks knowing I was taking them, and I fully committed to that risk. In doing so, I placed very high value on a successful outcome, and devalued everything else in my life—occasionally including life itself. This is inexcusable to some people, and I respect that view, but I accepted a bad outcome knowingly, and knew the margins intimately.

Pay attention when it matters.

I have a superstition and distrust of ever claiming to be “safe.” I believe that mild paranoia is appropriate most of the time, and I don’t want to lose that margin, or rationalize real hazards..... As with anything in life, looking at the problems directly and figuring out how to solve them will lead to more margin.

Bloke knows what he's talking about. It's an attitude and method that can be applied to any physical activity, and most important in those where there are significant risk factors..
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 7:45 pm

Excellent article, Wayno, thanks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii