St Valentines Peak - access

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

St Valentines Peak - access

Postby Vee » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 6:06 pm

Hello All.
I was wondering; does anyone have current info about how to gain access to St Valentines Peak?
Cheers V.
Vee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: St Valentines Peak - access

Postby MrCAMEL » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 7:10 pm

Vee wrote:Hello All.
I was wondering; does anyone have current info about how to gain access to St Valentines Peak?
Cheers V.

Is there something wrong with the access listed in the wiki?

http://bushwalkaustralia.com/wiki/index ... Peak_Track

Mother told me there was snow on St Valentines on Monday, so there probably still is. That is nice.
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby walkinTas » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 7:12 pm

If you just want directions = View Map

If you want a bit more info = Wiki Page.

If you want current track conditions, then sorry, but I haven't been up there lately. :)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Vee » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks MrCAMEL and walkingTas for track note advice. Initially, I was wondering about the other access mentioned in The Abels book; Peak Plain Rd, where you need permission and a key. Kara Rd (Wiki Ref) suits me fine tho as it is public. Hope to get up there soon.
Cheers V
Vee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrekker » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 5:27 pm

AFH / North Forests / (and now) Gunns have done a number of things over the years to accommodate the public while protecting their private property. One of the things was to partner with Forestry Tas and create the walking track up the north ridge of St Valentines Peak which is public forest. It is a sad fact of history but the entire southern half of St Valentines Peak is private property dating back to the days of the Van Diemens Land Company. For this reason, I do not believe Gunns would grant access over their private roads and property purely for climbing 'The Peak.' I expect they would direct you to the new track. Also for this reason, I believe the old track from the south would be very overgrown.

If you ever want to query anything like this, they have a property manager based in their Ridgley Office. Last time I dealt with them, it was a bloke called Gregor who was very helpful. He is also the person to talk to about using their Guilford campsite which has dormitory accommodation for about 40 people. This is a good base for Tarkine walks in the Waratah area and I believe their rates are very reasonable.

Most of my dealings with Gunns have been to do with accessing waterfalls on their Hampshire/Surrey Hills property. They are responsible for land adjacent to the following waterfalls near Burnie:
Darling
Sandersons
St Georges
St Josephs
Cam
Owen Brook
Upper St Josephs
Upper Cam
When I take groups on their land they usually like me to telephone their Hamsphire gate when we enter the property and then again when we have left.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks for that info tt as the BWT Strollers are considering Valentines as a day walk next Summer.
P.S. nice to see your BB crew at the Anzac parade .
C
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Return to Bushwalking Discussion