Preparing to be those people

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Preparing to be those people

Postby Kainas » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 10:26 am

We are not far away from our first major family hiking trip (Yuraygir Coastal Track) and I just realised that if you see us on the trail you may indeed think we are 'those people'. You know the ones that do crazy things like hike with shopping bags, or in jeans.

I am taking 3 adults, 4 kids (3,5,7,9), and a breastfeeding mother (albeit, she is the car support) on a 10-day hiking trip.

Add to this, my husband and I, when deciding on a hiking tent upgrade, decided that, since I am pregnant again, overnight hikes are really off the agenda for another couple of years. So we opted for a cheaper car tent - a great little Coleman's pop up tent. That thing goes up in 4 seconds, and takes an entire 15seconds to pack up again.... but it is circular when packed, and about 90cm in diameter.

Not a problem except I realised that our first night is going to be an overnight hike! So that will be us on the trail, walking in with a 3year old, and a circular dome tent tied to the OUTSIDE of my pack :oops: . I can already hear the thoughts as hikers walk past us, thinking we are attempting the entire track like that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is not as crazy as it sounds I am sure.... I hope. (For the record, we are doing the track over 10-days instead of 4-days, and spending every other night in a caravan park with car support).
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Preparing to be those people

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 2:13 pm

Power to you! :)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Watertank » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 5:43 pm

Wonderful, go for it, my kids have grown up on hikes like that and camping, it has helped them appreciate the beauty of the outdoors
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby perfectlydark » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 6:56 am

Theres no right or wrong way to get out there. Do what works for you. Have fun!
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ofuros » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 8:28 am

Car camping, section hiking or walking the whole trail in one hit, it doesn't really matter
how you do it, the salty sea air will still fill your lungs & the rhythmic pounding surf will still lull you to sleep...
Enjoy your coastal adventure, Kainas. 8)
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby That_Asian_Bloke » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 5:55 pm

All I can say is "Good on ya".

Me and my wifes love for bushwalking/camping/hiking started this way too and it evolved. So definitely good to hear that you're taking your kids on this adventure since there is more to life than sitting in front of the tv/computer/videogame console.
That_Asian_Bloke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion