Your worst walk

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Your worst walk

Postby vicrev » Wed 16 Sep, 2015 8:28 pm

What has been your worst/least enjoyable walk ?.......The walk down the aisle still does not count.. :wink:
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Your worst walk

Postby Strider » Wed 16 Sep, 2015 8:36 pm

Lake Rhona in the pissing rain with a short jacket that kept riding up.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby devoswitch » Wed 16 Sep, 2015 8:55 pm

Gold Coast hinterland great walk after massive storms and so many leeches I was pretty much leaving a blood trail. At least 20-30 on me at any one time. It was very mentally draining...
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby corvus » Wed 16 Sep, 2015 9:04 pm

Despite many poo... weather conditions I have never had a bad walk and hope healthwise I can get back out there soon :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby pazzar » Wed 16 Sep, 2015 9:10 pm

Benighted on the Hippogriff in a snow storm after a late start. Didn't make it to intended campsite before dark, so settled for any even ground that could fit a tent. Committed to a site, tent didn't quite fit, and spent a very uncomfortable night getting soaked. A very dicey crossing of the Franklin River the next morning topped it all off.

Turns out I was only 20 minutes away from the flat ground that I was aiming for!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Wed 16 Sep, 2015 9:54 pm

Masons Falls Circuit walk in Kinglake National Park.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cajun » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 8:52 am

Up the esacalators and then the stairs to my desk each week day.
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby walkon » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 9:30 am

Any Westfield Shopping Centre!
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby wayno » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:20 am

Tararua ranges in NZ, highly recommended for off track bush bashing up and down the mountains, through leatherwood and supplejack vines and post holing up to hip deep in snow ten hours a day. climbing and over hand out of a river gorge, running out of food. forty hours walking in four days, 40k's covered.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby pazzar » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 11:15 am

walkon wrote:Any Westfield Shopping Centre!

Brilliant! I used to work in Westfield Knox. They seriously need to install express lanes there. I could tell if it was a quiet day at work if I could make it from my shop to the food court without anyone stopping randomly in front of me or taking up the whole thoroughfare!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 11:28 am

vicrev wrote:What has been your worst/least enjoyable walk ?.......The walk down the aisle still does not count.. :wink:

The aisle is not the centre of the church. Aisles are at the sides. Too many worst competing for attention.

SW Tassie where the leader (not me) took the wrong spur. What should have been easy open ground to the summit was scrubby, two hours turned into a whole day and an unexpected dry camp on a lumpy exposed summit. The fog hid the right spur. Being some 30 degrees off the bearing was a slight clue that I picked up, could not persuade the leader to change spurs.

Victoria, Ropers Hut to Mt Bogong. Lost the track just after the hut, too many horrible hours down to near Big River, camp on a tiny site. Next day at Big River missed seeing the chain and bashed up Saddleback Spur in time for a sunset. We were wrecked.

Victoria, Grampians, near the Fortress. A whole tiring day to bash a few kilometres.

NSW, Blue Waterholes in KNP surrounded by smoke from bushfires. No mobile phones then - which way do we go?

Victoria, AWT climbing from Tom Groggin, map was wrong so no creek. Dropped packs and went back a long way to get water at the Murray, but blackberries stopped up. Dry camp. Very dry.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby farefam » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 1:06 pm

Not many bad walks over the years but I'd say either nine rainy days in a row at Frenchmans Cap (at least the rainforest around Lake Vera looked pretty), or an attempt at the White Monolith Range that was thwarted by ultra thick and tall scrub and then enhanced by a leg injury on the way out that prevented a consolation sidetrip to the Western Arthurs.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 1:23 pm

Not sure about the premise of this... are we talking about a bad experience due to toughness, scrub... weather? Some of the best walks have been in less-than-favorable conditions, and just being scrubby and/or hard doesn't make it a bad walk. I'd judge "worst walks" by ones that I wouldn't do again under any conditions, eg. the views weren't worth the scrub/fire trail bash, the walk didn't live up to expectation, even in fine weather the walk still would've been cr@p etc.

The 6 Foot Track gets my vote. What a waste of time.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 2:24 pm

I agree, SFT is on par with a day out in Westfields. No maybe Westfields scores higher because I can get a donut king longjohn and a banana thickshake to ease the pain.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 5:47 pm

Lophophaps wrote:
vicrev wrote:What has been your worst/least enjoyable walk ?.......The walk down the aisle still does not count.. :wink:

The aisle is not the centre of the church. Aisles are at the sides. .........

Off topic warning............
Whoa hold on there Lophohaps.........please explain.......you can't just change history and swan off onto another subject. :shock: :lol:
I thought that the very rev vicrev would know what he was on about.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 5:59 pm

Ha, worst an miserable are two different things for a walk. The walk can suck in itself, or it can be the conditions. The most miserable for me was on the razorback to Mt Feathertop under the rain and with heavy shoes. I got painful chafing on my back, my merino briefs disintegrated with the chafing and the rain (litteraly disintegrated, I had to throw them out), and I got tendinitis on my Achille's tendon. But still it was a beautiful walk. The worst for scenery was probably Churchill National Park near Melbourne. It's a National Park but it's barely protected : a high voltage powerline runs through the park, it's disgusting.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby MickyB » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 6:45 pm

Worst walk for me was in the Otways a few years ago. Walked in for an overnighter but suffered severe cramp in my calves and hamstrings through the night (rare for me). Also had knee soreness. The hike back out was only about 3kms but it was along a boring 4WD track and all up hill. Probably the slowest I've ever walked and I'm normally not a quick walker anyway.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 8:22 pm

neilmny wrote:
Lophophaps wrote:

The aisle is not the centre of the church. Aisles are at the sides. .........

Off topic warning............
Whoa hold on there Lophohaps.........please explain.......you can't just change history and swan off onto another subject. :shock: :lol:
I thought that the very rev vicrev would know what he was on about.

I mentioned the correct menaing in passing. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisle
"In church architecture, an aisle (also known as an yle or alley) is more specifically a passageway to either side of the nave that is separated from the nave by colonnades or arcades, a row of pillars or columns. Occasionally aisles stop at the transepts, but often aisles can be continued around the apse. Aisles are thus categorized as nave-aisles, transept-aisles or choir-aisles. A semi-circular choir with aisles continued around it, providing access to a series of chapels, is a chevet."

This is the Church thread, isn't it? As for swanning off, I like swans, and have many recipes.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby vicrev » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 9:09 pm

I just said to the one I live with & knows everything. :roll: ...." It seems like we did not walk down the aisle when we were married ,according to someone on the BW forum "..........Having a warped sense of humour she said.."" Well,we certainly did not b%&&Dy walk down Bourke Street "...............Sorry Neil, :D you are right,what has all this got to do with ..Your worst walk :wink: ....
vicrev

Postby corvus » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 9:20 pm

Thought this may help 8-)
Aisle | Define Aisle at Dictionary.com
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby nzbazza » Fri 18 Sep, 2015 2:59 pm

wayno wrote:Tararua ranges in NZ, highly recommended for off track bush bashing up and down the mountains, through leatherwood and supplejack vines and post holing up to hip deep in snow ten hours a day. climbing and over hand out of a river gorge, running out of food. forty hours walking in four days, 40k's covered.

I'm sure you meant to post this in the "Best walk " thread Wayno :D No walk into the Tararuas could ever be considered a bad trip, maybe character-building at worst...

My worst trip was only a weekend long. It was on a pretty popular loop track and I was staying the night at a large and initially empty hut. I was settling in for a quiet night when the hut door was flung open and in walked 30 very loud and obnoxious teenagers playing "music" and complaining about the lack of signal for their cellphones and how "F.." cold the hut was. A couple of supposedly adult supervisors wandered in some time later and did very little to control the rabble even after I pointed out some people (me) were trying to get some sleep for an early start.

Very early the next morning, some "w....er" decided to rattle his spoon inside a billy as an alarm, and 30 teenagers all swore in union. It turns out the party wanted to stat early like me. The thought of having to walk with this party terrified the snot out of me, so I raced to get packed and out the door to get a buffer between me and them. I now understand how a fox feels when being chased on a hunt, you do anything and everything just to stay ahead.

Worse, when I got home and unpacked, I found that I had left behind my expensive headlamp, so one those noisy teenaged "...ers" probably claimed a nice little gift as well.
nzbazza
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby tasiewendy » Tue 22 Sep, 2015 10:22 am

Worst walk? I find good & bad in every walk I do but the absolute upside always is the health & wellbeing benefits of being in the great outdoors
tasiewendy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 8:06 pm

The one when I had a bad knee on one side and a broken ankle on the other. You can't even limp properly when both legs are buggered.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby vicrev » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 8:15 pm

north-north-west wrote:The one when I had a bad knee on one side and a broken ankle on the other. You can't even limp properly when both legs are buggered.
Dips me lid,NNW :) .....must have seemed like the end of the walk was a million miles away... :shock: ....
vicrev

Postby north-north-west » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 9:04 pm

No, it was only from the cave to the car - about 300 metres, maybe.
But they were the hardest 300 metres of my life.

Come to think of it, maybe the Mt Edith trip could go close to the top of my 'not the best' list. As good as the rest of it was, the firebombing did sort of take the gloss off . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 9:48 pm

north-north-west wrote:No, it was only from the cave to the car - about 300 metres, maybe.
But they were the hardest 300 metres of my life.

Come to think of it, maybe the Mt Edith trip could go close to the top of my 'not the best' list. As good as the rest of it was, the firebombing did sort of take the gloss off . . .

Once I had a bad few hundred metres, with double pneumonia. Took ages. In a fire I'd be less concerned about losing gloss than losing skin, or clothes.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby robl » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 11:05 pm

The Six Foot Track. (south from Katoomba)
Except for the first and last few km it was boring and the heat made it worse.
The company was good though.

I have had a few near disastrous walks but at least they were interesting.
robl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hobbitle » Sun 04 Oct, 2015 2:31 pm

Least enjoyable so far was actually my first. Which is weird that I wasn't put off. But it wasn't actually bad, it was just my least favourite of all overnighters.

It was the Jatbula Trail, NT. The campsites were the only saving grace, as they were pretty and you got to sit in the waterfalls. The walks during the day were hot, boring, flat, and I hated the scenery between waterholes/waterfalls. Also my shoes broke and I didn't have any backup (n00b), memorable dramas ensued involving lots of duct tape and glue and eventually borrowing someones camp shoes to finish it.
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neil_fahey » Mon 05 Oct, 2015 2:11 pm

I think I've been lucky so far since even my worst ones were pretty awesome... Like the one where I managed to get stung by a bee, fall in a river with my camera, cut my leg open and fall in a patch of stinging nettle (all within about 4 hours). Or my Larapinta trip where I tore my meniscus.
Last edited by neil_fahey on Wed 07 Oct, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au

Postby wobbly » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 5:02 pm

Riggalls spur - long and steep, no shade and a damn 4wd track. Made worse by discovering I could have walked up the valley of destruction instead. :roll:
wobbly

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion