Trails abroad

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Trails abroad

Postby Quinton » Wed 16 Sep, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm looking for recommendations on multi day walks abroad (excluding NZ). Something off the beaten track but also not to remote as I will be doing this solo. I have approximately 2 weeks to use on a trail.
Quinton
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Trails abroad

Postby makinbacon » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 7:50 pm

You could do a section if the John Muir Trail in California, from what I'm aware late summer is the best time once most of the snow pack melts in the Sierra's. Usually takes 3 weeks or so but there are resupply points where you can get out, there is a fair bit of elevation involved as you summit Mt Whitney (4421m). Permits are pretty competitive too.
makinbacon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Hallu » Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:01 pm

It depends on your level of fitness. I can recommend some walks in France, but in the mountains they often require good fitness as you may have to walk 1000 m elevation gain every day. I know most people do Tour du Mont Blanc, but it's actually not the best scenery. I think Tour de l'Oisan would be better, but it's also for fit people. Also called as GR 54, it's a total of 12.5 km elevation gain in 12-14 days. Only english info I could find is this : http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detai ... fqqGZefqao . The Ecrins massif where Oisan is situated is better for a 2 week walk than say the Mont Blanc or Vanoise because it benefits from a lot more sunshine each year (it rains/snows only about 60-90 days a year, while up North it's twice that), but it's also famed as one of the hardest GRs in Europe.

If you tell us your level of fitness we can advise in more details, also tell us if you'd rather do a coastal walk or mountains.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby vicrev » Fri 18 Sep, 2015 11:47 am

Maybe one of the Pilgrim walks in France/Spain, they have varying types of accommodation & are priced accordingly ,they can be very busy,depends on the time of year,some of the less fashionable ones are not so crowded but are still great walks......... :)
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby madmacca » Fri 18 Sep, 2015 1:24 pm

West Highland Way in Scotland - spend each day in the highlands, then drop down to a village each evening. Add on the Great Glen Way for a 2 week trip.
madmacca

Postby vicrev » Fri 18 Sep, 2015 4:00 pm

madmacca wrote:West Highland Way in Scotland - spend each day in the highlands, then drop down to a village each evening. Add on the Great Glen Way for a 2 week trip.
Also a great walk.... :) ...As it happens,any walk in Scotland is wonderful.. :) or Ireland...or England....Italy..etc etc.....stick a map of Europe up & throw a dart.. :wink: ......
vicrev

Return to Bushwalking Discussion