Preparing for multiday hikes

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Preparing for multiday hikes

Postby Juudbruinsma » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 9:52 am

I've finally booked myself and my partner in for the Overland Track in December (Christmas time). We have all the gear and we regularly go out (mainly to the Blue Mountains, approx every other weekend) to do longish day walks. However, we have only done a couple of overnighters - so I'm now on a mission to get fit!

I try to run once or twice a week, try to go to the gym once or twice a week and I do pilates once a week. I've got a bit of a dodgy back where I need to do a lot of core strenght work and stretches to ensure I stay clear of trouble.

I study part time and work full time (quite long hours) so I find it difficult at times to fit my exercise in. We're keen to schedule in a few overnighters before we go to Tassie, but given my work schedule, that's not gonna happen before mid Oct or early Nov.

Any tips as to what exercises are easy to fit in daily routines, but can help build strength and fitness for when I go do the OL?
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Preparing for multiday hikes

Postby wayno » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 10:02 am

take the stairs not the lift.. walk home with your groceries if you can...
if you take public transport, walk to the next stop before getting on and get off a stop early, walk as for as you can to or from work.
think twice every time you get in the car. walk or cycle wherever you can fit in as many hills as you can.
go up a hill with a loaded pack
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby kitty » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 11:05 am

What Wayno said. Also load up your pack to 18kg and walk around block once a week, more often the closer to the date. Do a few day walks or just longer walks in park, preferrably on hilly and uneven terrain, with fully loaded pack with the socks and shoes you are taking on the OLT. And weighted squats, lunges, step ups...etc
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby RonK » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 11:20 am

Stairclimbing - with a loaded pack.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby madmacca » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 2:09 pm

Some good suggestions in this thread already.

3 strength training moves I think are important for bushwalkers are:
* calf raises - builds ankle strength and prevents sprains and rollovers. Do them barefoot to work the foot muscles more, and to work on your balance. If you can work up to single leg calf raises, even better.
* squats - makes climbing up steep hills easier. Again, work up to single leg squats.
* planks - this works a wide range of core muscles, and helps with carrying a pack.

As with all ST, do them just 3 times per week, not daily.

Stair climbing is excellent cardio-vascular training, but one thing it doesn't do is prepare you for the strain on your legs of a steep slope as your ankle is tilted, rather than on the flat surface of a staircase. Particularly the descents, where there can be big stress on your thighs, as they act to "brake" you. If you can find a steep embankment near where you live and go up and down that for 20 minutes once a week, you will be much better prepared for real slopes. Look locally for a bridge abuttment, a creek bank, etc. I use an old quarry where the sides have been collapsed to create a park.
madmacca

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 2:21 pm

What they all said except that the adage "Train HARD Walk easy" applies, if you finish the training with a rucksack weight far in excess of the expected packed weight the walk will seem very easy, start with 10 kg but try and finish with 35 for a day or 3
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 4:19 pm

Moondog, I like "Train hard, walk easy". The more effort an planning you put into a walk before the walk, the easier the walk will be. I'm not sure that carrying a pack of 35 kilograms will assist; mid-20s seems about right. Anything more than that risks damaging the body.

Fitness and stamina are not gained easily or quickly. It takes time, and the OP is wise asking well in advance. Going on as many weekend walks as possible prior to the OLT is a good idea. Be ready mentally for cold, wet, and exhaustion. If they happen then they will expected, part of the trip. Better that than to risk mental shock by expecting a tourist experience of continuous Tasmanian sunshine for 6-8 days. I've been on many trips of continuous sunshine, but not in Tassie. It may snow.

Consider taking extra food to wait out bad weather to climb Ossa and any other peaks that are socked in. You may have time at the end to go to Pine Valley, The Acropolis or points west. Not many walk to Echo Point and Cynthia Bay. It's a lovely forest with hardly any people; walk this if at all possible, only another day.

Take good food, 9000 kJ or more for each day, about 900 grams.

An extended walk is not like a weekend where if you get wet it's just one night away from the car and then home. On the OLT you have to keep yourself and your gear intact for most of a week.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Juudbruinsma » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks all! This is great. Mostly stuff that I can incorporate in my daily routine quite easily.

I like the suggestions of the stairs / embankment workout and walking around the block with a loaded pack (that'll be fun, living in suburbia I expect a few raised eyebrows). And I hadn't thought about taking the loaded pack on day walks, great suggestion!

I actually never do calf raises, but it makes sense to focus on ankles and feet.

I find the idea of walking around with a 35kg pack is a bit daunting to be honest, but I can see the point in getting conditioned to carrying a load heavier than the actual OL pack.

My main goal is to get fit and strong enough to be able to enjoy the track (not too much pain and fatigue) and minimise risk of injury.

Thanks also for the tips on food intake, the kj and weight measures are def very helpful.
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 4:39 pm

35 kilos is not unreasonable on a short training exercise with a good pack, I train for pulling a sled by dragging 2 car wheels along concrete but every time I start pulling the big sled I wish I'd trained with the Landcruiser rims and tyres
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 4:44 pm

35kg Lookshoory !! :mrgreen:
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 4:52 pm

The guys got a back issue though moondog, I like the advice above and the build up but i'd not go near a 35kg pack. I can appreciate the overload thing, heavy runners to training flats etc but probably not necessary to achieve OLT goal. I'd almost suggest, in reading the background juudbruinsma that you'd be fine already, perhaps a little tired, sore, stiff. Anything you do now will help of course but also consider as light a pack as possible. While it is still a tough walk on lower limbs, back issues just aren't one that you hear about a lot. So long as you lift the weight correctly (ie. not lift and twist) there's not a lot of bending involved, your back is generally warm and the pack acts as a brace (of sorts).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 4:59 pm

standard rule of training,
DO NOT INCREASE TRAINING LOAD BY MORE THAN TEN PERCENT PER WEEK
i dont see the point in practising with any more weight than you're going to take on the trip, to do so increases risk of injury and over straining, mooondog knows from experience he can cope with 35kg. it doesnt make it the best option for everyone... gradually increase the weight you carry and the duration you carry it for and pay close attention to injuries and niggles and ease off if you get any, better to go in under trained than over trained and injured
Last edited by wayno on Sat 19 Sep, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 5:01 pm

Nuts wrote:The guys got a back issue though moondog, I like the advice above and the build up but i'd not go near a 35kg pack. I can appreciate the overload thing, heavy runners to training flats etc but probably not necessary to achieve OLT goal. I'd almost suggest, in reading the background juudbruinsma that you'd be fine already, perhaps a little tired, sore, stiff. Anything you do now will help of course but also consider as light a pack as possible. While it is still a tough walk on lower limbs, back issues just aren't one that you hear about a lot. So long as you lift the weight correctly (ie. not lift and twist) there's not a lot of bending involved, your back is generally warm and the pack acts as a brace (of sorts).
..........Good advise,Nuts :D ...a lot of people are gung ho about lifting pack weights & do some nasty injuries before they even start their walk... :(
vicrev

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 5:09 pm

A modern pack doesn't load the back tho if it is properly set-up all the weight is taken through the frame to the pelvic girdle and the ultra strong glutes and the long bones of the legs
I have a bad back myself as a result of motorcycles and industrial accidents and while I don't like carrying it a load of 35 to 45 kilos in my pack places no strain on my back
If a pack is placing any strain on the shoulders and back it is a very poor design
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 5:24 pm

its not just the back, the lower limbs have to be strong enough to handle the extra weight as well. any one o a number of places on the body can get over strained if you're not used to the weight.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 8:10 pm

I haven't read all the replies so I may be repeating other people but I find the best way to prepare for multi day walks if you have never done them is to get out there and do them.

I know that sounds like Im being a bit of a smart aleck but start out by doing some over nighters, then a two night etc. This conditions you to not only carrying the weight but also the camping aspect of it and also being able to back up consecutive days walking.

The OLT is quite easy though IMHO. If someone is reasonably fit they will find it easy physically. The weather and potential lack of sleep and or poor nutrition can play on the mental aspect of it far more than the physical side of things.

You will find if your wet from head to toe, the wind is blowing at 80kph and the temp is sub zero you will not think too much about any physical exhaustion or how comfortable your pack is. :lol:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 8:45 pm

Just the lifting m'dog (I otherwise agree), the only time iv'e seen someone debilitated by an existing back injury, not so much the pack, carrying or its adjustment, was caused during the hoist (though getting them off without injury is probably just as important to consider). Once they are up though Wayno does have a point, and less weight is only a good thing, a back injury was pointed out rather than lower limbs (which seem to be a far more common fail while actually walking, the ankles and knees).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 10:09 pm

wayno wrote:its not just the back, the lower limbs have to be strong enough to handle the extra weight as well. any one o a number of places on the body can get over strained if you're not used to the weight.

My point exactly; as you say increase slowly; but to the maximum, walking on the flat with 10kg won't do as much good as climbing stairs with that same weight for example
There are multiple techniques you can use to don that huge pack when training I do not advocate actually walking with 35 or 40 kilos if it can be avoided
If for example my sled was to mass 135 kilos again ideally I would train with 250 or so
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sat 19 Sep, 2015 10:27 pm

Juudbruinsma wrote:I try to run once or twice a week, try to go to the gym once or twice a week and I do pilates once a week. I've got a bit of a dodgy back where I need to do a lot of core strenght work and stretches to ensure I stay clear of trouble.

I think you're doing well. I agree with the suggestions of carrying a load, but I don't agree that you should be thinking of carrying 35kg, even without a dodgy back. That's asking for trouble. Just increase your pack load gradually up to your planned pack weight and find some hills to push yourself over with the pack on. Walking on the flat is not really good training for a hilly week of walking.

Not many people mention Pilates here, but I have had good results with it. Alongside my hill training, I did Pilates twice a week before my last Scotland trip (350km in 2 weeks) and I had a good result with no injuries and managed some very long days well over 30km and was able to get up the next day and keep walking.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby juxtaposer » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 9:55 am

The best way to prepare for multi day walks (there is no such thing as a multi day "hike") is to do multi day walks. When I was at my most active everybody I knew did them routinely, at least one good one a month of say 2-3 nights duration. Stepping up to a week or more duration was never any trouble provided you took the first day or two steadily. I didn't know of anyone who did any other training to prepare for the longer walks. Seems that everybody is more into day walks ("hikes") than they used to be. Looking at the NPA Walks Program, for instance, that's certainly the case.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnStrider » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 4:27 pm

Asked a similar question a few months back and a majority of the responses are similar to the ones you are getting here.

I'm heading to NZ for 10 days at the same time as you are going away and I've been training for it since November last year. A lot of that time has been getting out there and testing my gear and getting my body used to carry 15kgs on my back. The first time I carried that much, I woke up the next day fairly sore; that was around March. Now, it doesn't bother me so much. I did 25kms the other week in the Dandenongs with 12kgs on my back and I was okay the next day. I've done a few overnighters, and am about to go on a multi day hike this Cup weekend to further test my body and gear.

The point is - and Dan has mentioned this in his response - that the more you can get out there and replicate what you'll be doing on the OLT, the better your body will be able to withstand any discomfort. So get out there as much as you can before you go and carry the same amount of weight as you'll be carrying when on the trail.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 5:30 pm

Did I also mention how I take a 'good' anti-inflammatory tablet daily on multi day walks? :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Juudbruinsma » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 7:30 pm

DanShell wrote:Did I also mention how I take a 'good' anti-inflammatory tablet daily on multi day walks? :)

Now we're talking! What do you use Dan?
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 7:33 pm

Not always a good idea actually Dan. As it can mask the symptoms of an injury causing you keep going longer than you should and actually make it worse.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 7:59 pm

Strider wrote:Not always a good idea actually Dan. As it can mask the symptoms of an injury causing you keep going longer than you should and actually make it worse.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I agree. I probably should have had that disclaimer. The ones I take are a miracle drug for me. I have had back/shoulder injuries in the past that have 'felt' non existent after dosing myself up on my anti inflammatory tablets only to pay for it later after they wear off.

Mine are a prescribed medication so it would be inappropriate that I mention that they are http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/crysanal-tablets :twisted:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Juudbruinsma » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 8:10 pm

JohnStrider wrote:
The point is - and Dan has mentioned this in his response - that the more you can get out there and replicate what you'll be doing on the OLT, the better your body will be able to withstand any discomfort. So get out there as much as you can before you go and carry the same amount of weight as you'll be carrying when on the trail.

Absolutely agree. However, unfortunately at the moment work and study commitments mean I can't do any overnighters until late October / early November. Will try to schedule in as many as possible from then on, but in the mean time, any other training that will help build stamina and strenght will be helpful...
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 8:30 pm

Juudbruinsma wrote:Absolutely agree. However, unfortunately at the moment work and study commitments mean I can't do any overnighters until late October / early November. Will try to schedule in as many as possible from then on, but in the mean time, any other training that will help build stamina and strenght will be helpful...

Early November is a little late to start with overnight walks as OLT training trips. You may find that you need to go slowly on the OLT for the first few days.

You can run 100 metres in 12-15 seconds. It's impossible to keep that speed for a week with a heavy pack, so you must pace yourself. Don't go faster than your comfort zone, or attempt to keep up with another person who is faster. A mate once described his best pace - talking pace. If you can have a conversation without gasping for air then the pace is about right.

Another ploy is to pace yourself on your breathing. Step breathe in, step breathe out. This applies mainly on uphill sections. You may have to have more air; step breathe in and out, step breathe in and out. Whatever works - just be aware of the theme. It's okay to breathe when you're not walking, such as when resting.

Start and finish the day with stretching. Start cold and slow, as you will warm up as the blood circulates. At the end of the day have a cooling routine. Windy Fridge Hut has this to a high degree.

A heap of small strategies such as the above will make the journey easier and more enjoyable.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wayno » Mon 21 Sep, 2015 4:26 am

ITS A MYTH YOU SHOULD STRETCH BEFORE EXERCISE
stretching cold muscles puts them at risk of tearing, never stretch before exercise . start out slowly when you get going in the morning and the muscles will loosen up. if you're going to stretch, do it when your muslces have warmed up...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 21 Sep, 2015 2:02 pm

Wayno, thanks for that. My advice stemmed from that given me some time ago. The consensus seems to be that stretching prior to exercise does not do much. For example, see
http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/w ... -exercise/
I agree about starting slowly.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby zac150 » Mon 21 Sep, 2015 6:59 pm

Some great points on here already but ill add my two cents worth.

Your current training of running, gym and pilates offers a pretty solid base of aerobic fitness, strength and core work. You will often hear the theory "walking is the best training for walking" and in essence this is true.

Walking requires aerobic endurance and muscle endurance, walking with a pack introduces the idea of stabilising muscles as your body works to support itself plus the additional weight added by the pack. This is hard to replicate hence training with a pack on offer this.

I walk every year with a group of friends and co workers and each year we start walking once a week for 2 hours with a pack on, slowly building up the weight. This has proven very successful. As stated in other posts start light and build up to you expected weight, maybe even a few kg's over.

At gym if you can ask a training they should be able to write a program which might add a slight focuses on the muscle groups you will rely on (legs). One strategy is to increase the number of reps i.e lighter weights longer reps, this introduces muscle endurance.

Having said that for me general fitness is very important and I like the idea to have fitness to do anything and if I need to target train for something I can add a few small variations. If you just add one walk with a pack and substituted the odd run with a pack walk you will be fine.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion