Where to walk in Australia

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Where to walk in Australia

Postby rbrand » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello All,

Apologies if I've selected the wrong category.

I'm traveling to Australia this December for about three weeks and would like to take a couple of good walks. I'll intersperse the big walks with some more typical tourist activities and shorter partial day walks. I would appreciate input on which walks forum members think best fit my criteria. My itinerary is fairly open other than I want to spend at least a third of the trip in Tasmania, and don't plan on venturing too far beyond Victoria, NSW and southern Queensland (simple logistics of getting around), and I'm mostly interested in mountainous regions. I was considering the Overland Track, but it is full and I'm not too keen on being on the track with 50+ people. For Tasmania, the Jerusalem Walls is attractive, elsewhere Warrumbungles Grand High Tops and Heart of the Budawangs look good, but I'm open for any interesting and challenging.

For some background, I will be hiking solo. I have fairly extensive experience hiking, backpacking, climbing in the western USA (Alaska, Rocky Mountains, and deserts), as well internationally in NZ, Scotland, and Latin America.

Thanks,

Brand
rbrand
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Where to walk in Australia

Postby roopass » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 7:48 am

rbrand wrote:Hello All,

Apologies if I've selected the wrong category.

I'm traveling to Australia this December for about three weeks and would like to take a couple of good walks. I'll intersperse the big walks with some more typical tourist activities and shorter partial day walks. I would appreciate input on which walks forum members think best fit my criteria. My itinerary is fairly open other than I want to spend at least a third of the trip in Tasmania, and don't plan on venturing too far beyond Victoria, NSW and southern Queensland (simple logistics of getting around), and I'm mostly interested in mountainous regions. I was considering the Overland Track, but it is full and I'm not too keen on being on the track with 50+ people. For Tasmania, the Jerusalem Walls is attractive, elsewhere Warrumbungles Grand High Tops and Heart of the Budawangs look good, but I'm open for any interesting and challenging.

For some background, I will be hiking solo. I have fairly extensive experience hiking, backpacking, climbing in the western USA (Alaska, Rocky Mountains, and deserts), as well internationally in NZ, Scotland, and Latin America.

Thanks,

Brand

A good app is called wild walks, has walks all over OZ, and accurate track notes,maps,pics
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby newhue » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 4:44 pm

Tasmania
Western and Eastern Arthurs 15 days +/- 2 day
Mt Anne two days, we camped Sth Est side just off the track down 200 to 300m from the top roughly. Perhaps could go up and over and explore the northern ridge. Could do Mt Anne on the way to the Arthurs.
Sth Coast track. 6 to 8 days I think, just follow the path.
Maria Island is a nice 2 to 4 day explore.

Australian Alps walking trail, as much or little as you like.

Qld too hot for walking in December.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ofuros » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 5:27 pm

newhue wrote: Qld too hot for walking in December.

Waterfalls & gorges in Southeast Qld/ Northern NSW are fine in December... 8)

These guides may wet your appetite for SE Qld & Northern NSW....
http://www.southee.com/Bushwalking/MainRange.html
http://budjiri.biz.ht/Bushwalkingrainbow.pdf

Tight time frame so choose quality, breathtaking walks..... :wink:
Last edited by ofuros on Fri 06 Nov, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nq111 » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 6:10 pm

Mt Anne circuit (Tasmania) would have to be the best short multi-night walk in Tasmania (2-3 nights typically), and many would argue in Australia. You could do it and another short multi-day or overnight walk to fill your week to week+ leg in Tasmania.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby newhue » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 7:11 am

To true ofuros, obi obi gorge would be great also. But I didn't mention because for a traveller on a short time line one has to be very dedicated and mobile to source them. An then they are usually only day long walks anyway.
Unfortunately I would not call any of the Great Walks in SEQ great at all, even Frasier Island. It's nice but not great and feel one could use their time better especially in summer. Other walks like Sundowns NP grand traverse is an awesome 3 dayer, or Main Range NP Teviot to Spicers as well, but in December it's just a very very bad idea.

I think our guest Brand would be more into these type of walks more so than day walks. Still Brand, there are some very nice waterfall walks in SEQ, and if you don't have rainforest type vegetation back home, you will have an enjoyable day out, and probably a swim or two under a waterfall.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rbrand » Fri 13 Nov, 2015 4:57 pm

Dear All,

My apologies for not responding earlier. After a few weeks with no responses I thought my query was dead. An email from the list clued me in that it was active.

Thanks for all your responses. You've provided some interesting options that I have not heard about yet and I will investigate their potential.

Best regards,

Brand
rbrand
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby newhue » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 6:42 am

Yes mate it's a pretty slow moving forum. Bit sad in some ways 100's of people can view it and have nothing to say. The silent mass thing I guess.
Given your time, I'd be looking at Victoria and Tasmania as your destination. They are much smaller in size and easier to get around. Come back in our winter and many more places become viable in NSW and Qld.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paul_gee » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 9:43 am

A nice day walk in Northern NSW is Mt Warning. It's a bit of a slog in the humidity (for this South Aussie at least) but well worth it. Watch for brown snakes.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby ofuros » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 12:37 pm

paul_gee wrote:A nice day walk in Northern NSW is Mt Warning. It's a bit of a slog in the humidity (for this South Aussie at least) but well worth it. Watch for brown snakes.

....and cross your fingers for a cloudless summit view. :lol:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paul_gee » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 12:46 pm

ofuros wrote:
paul_gee wrote:A nice day walk in Northern NSW is Mt Warning. It's a bit of a slog in the humidity (for this South Aussie at least) but well worth it. Watch for brown snakes.

....and cross your fingers for a cloudless summit view. :lol:

Indeed. My last hike resulted in a viewless summit. That's not without its charm though. :)
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby rbrand » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 6:02 am

Hi Paul_Gee,

Thanks. Mt. Warning looks like a good walk. The humidity might not bother me too much coming from Hawaii, but I'll the snakes are another matter!
rbrand
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lorrainey100 » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 5:58 pm

In NSW, I found these scenery quite spectacular. You can google images:

Kanungra-Boyd national park is a good day walk or do the Kanungra to Katoomba multi-day walk 3 days
Mt Solitary in the Blue Mountains 2-3 day walk
Pigeon House Mountain in Morton National Park day walk

You mentioned you prefer mountains but I would also suggest the coastal tracks in NSW which are also quite magnificent.
lorrainey100
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby rbrand » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 3:52 pm

Hello Lorrainey 100,

Apologies for the long delay in thanking you, but thanks. These walks look good and at least one should fit into my itinerary. I leave for Australia in 2 week and am looking forward to hiking in your beautiful backcountry or should I say walking in the lovely bush!

Cheers,

Brand
lorrainey100 wrote:In NSW, I found these scenery quite spectacular. You can google images:

Kanungra-Boyd national park is a good day walk or do the Kanungra to Katoomba multi-day walk 3 days
Mt Solitary in the Blue Mountains 2-3 day walk
Pigeon House Mountain in Morton National Park day walk

You mentioned you prefer mountains but I would also suggest the coastal tracks in NSW which are also quite magnificent.
rbrand
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion