Summer safety? Fires, dehydration etc

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Summer safety? Fires, dehydration etc

Postby -dz- » Thu 22 Oct, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi, long time lurker, not much of a poster.

Have a bit of bush experience in NZ but almost none here in NSW. This post may be a bit NSW centric, but generally should cover most of Australia.

Have a few concerns about the unknown, going out hiking with the misus or alone.

Is summer time safe for bush walking in NSW? Apart from the normal bushwalk precautions, is there anything summer related I'm not thinking about?

Hydration:
I generally go through around 3-4l of water for a 6hour hike in temperate climates, should I expect the need to carry about double that in 30-40 degree heat?

Fire:
The big bush fire kind in fire season, best to avoid entire parks for a couple of months or just go somewhere less at risk? Know a few things about what to do if you get caught in the situation (look for river etc) but I'd rather avoid the issue all together.

The main reason I'm asking is I've seen a few posts around here alluding to summer time difficulties but found no reasoning, search also came up a bit empty.
-dz-
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Summer safety? Fires, dehydration etc

Postby jobell » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 8:29 am

It's not uncommon for some tracks or parts of to be closed in the summer months due to fire danger (the Heysen in South Australia comes to mind) and I avoid walking on days of higher fire danger (big winds plus hot temps) but there is still heaps of walking to be had here in NSW in summer. I always make sure I know the best escape routes and what to do if caught out, but I would rather not get thst close.

Water wise if I need to carry more than 4 litres at any time I tend to rethink the walk. 2 litres is my preference! That said, I ordered an extra 2 litre collapsible bottle last night as back up to increase my capacity for an upcoming walk on the AAWT but I intend to use it more for my 'dirty' water and backup in case my other bladder fails (it's well used). I won't be a happy camper if I have to carry 6 litres too far....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Sandbars » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:07 am

I would have thought that exercising over 30C would have put you at risk for heat related illness, regardless of bushfire risk. In SA the offical bushwalking season runs from May to October, cooler days are good for day walks, but generally dry heat rules out a lot of overnights.
Sandbars
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none
Region: Victoria

Postby gayet » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:09 am

40 degree heat? - don't head out.

Total fire ban days - reconsider where you intend to go.
Check websites for closures before setting off.

Research the water supplies where you are going, check that there is water at the time - water 2 months ago is not a guarantee it is still available. Carry what you think you will need and top up if and when the opportunity arises. Ration water use - do not waste it.

Ensure you know the alternate routes out from where you actually are, if you are caught with fire in the vicinity.

The summer difficulties will vary according to the location, the terrain, the weather on the day, your fitness, your navigational ability, and all the other variables that come into a walk in the bush. There is no one size fits all ....
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:18 am

As long as you are aware of whats going on, forecast and condition wise, that should keep you out of a lot of trouble.
As for water, there is a limit to how fast your body can absorb water, even at peak efficiency, so you have to keep in mind that adding more in isn't always the solution. Taking it slow, breaking up your walking into morning and later avo are possibilities. If you are already carrying 4L that you are planning on drinking, its hotter than you plan, and for some reason you run out, the margin there is going to be quite slim. If you are in a location where you can constantly top up, then its much less a problem. fitness level is a factor, but I can't see carrying 8L of water for a single day. to me that's a no-go. As you creep up on that 40 degree mark, things just go bad faster. I'm more used to the cold, but the premise is the same, near you get to -40, the faster oops goes to Oh @#$%. Not saying it can't be done, but use caution. Hottest walk I've done so far we think was around 34. It was miserable. Slow going, and the recovery took a few days, only walked for two, and everything hurt for the week after. At some point the extra water starts killing you just as fast as the heat.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby -dz- » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks peeps that really put my mind at ease.

I think I'll be avoiding the 30+ days where possible and making sure water is available enroute.

I think I certainly need to research trips more than I have been regarding possible alternate routes out and the like.

My PLB isn't too far away so that's an added safety precaution, with the caveat I understand, bad weather / fire can mean pickup is a no go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-dz-
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby farefam » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 5:43 pm

I have a very healthy respect for bush fire (especially the sort you get in NSW or VIC) so my preference for bush walking or camping in summer in those states is to avoid the inland scrub or forest-covered areas and instead stick to the coastal tracks. It's usually not too hot by the coast, there's usually somewhere safe not too far away so that you can escape from any fire that may get started and it's also actually nice to have a break from the mountain scenery for a change.

I find in summer in mid 20's to mid 30's temperatures in areas that have no natural water supply, that if I pace myself and avoid the midday heat I can carry and survive on 3-4 litres a day for up to 3-4 days but after that I do eventually get too dehydrated. Others may need need more water though than I do.

If you do have a big climb to do in summer I find it's best to rise at dawn and do the climb in the early morning so you minimise your risk of heat stroke.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 6:41 am

It's not just water - in hot weather I usually carry some Staminade (or similar) powder to add to the water to aid absorption etc. It can make a big difference.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby taipan821 » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 8:19 am

have water, electrolytes and sweets in the car if going for a day walk.
watch your urine colour and be mindful that drinking electrolytes like staminade will affect your urine colour
walk in the cooler times of the day (early morning, later afternoon) stay in the shade during the middle of the day
if i'm in a high fire risk area then no flames, cold food or chemical heaters on non-flammable surfaces.
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby peregrinator » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 1:24 pm

-dz- wrote:Hi, long time lurker, not much of a poster.

Have a bit of bush experience in NZ but almost none here in NSW. This post may be a bit NSW centric, but generally should cover most of Australia.

Have a few concerns about the unknown, going out hiking with the misus or alone.

Is summer time safe for bush walking in NSW? Apart from the normal bushwalk precautions, is there anything summer related I'm not thinking about?

Hydration:
I generally go through around 3-4l of water for a 6hour hike in temperate climates, should I expect the need to carry about double that in 30-40 degree heat?

Don't forget that temperatures are measured in shade. So if the predicted maximum is 30 degrees, you could be walking in the high thirties depending upon the amount of vegetation cover. On lots of walks, there could be no shade. You may or may not need extra drinking water, but you will possibly feel more fatigued. So safety in summer might sometimes mean reducing the distance you were hoping to cover. Although with longer daylight hours, it might also mean taking more breaks and as others have noted, starting early in the morning.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion