Solo hiking/camping

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Solo hiking/camping

Postby madmacca » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 12:28 pm

north-north-west wrote:It takes a fair bit of bad luck (and/or bad management) to get bitten. Leave 'em alone, and mostly they'll leave you alone.

I agree - if you look through the statistics, most people who are badly bitten are either trying to pick up the snake, or trying to kill it. The number of people badly bitten while casually picking up firewood or bushwalking is small, but not zero.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby roopass » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 3:53 pm

madmacca wrote:
north-north-west wrote:It takes a fair bit of bad luck (and/or bad management) to get bitten. Leave 'em alone, and mostly they'll leave you alone.

So Macca, u think it's a bit of a overkill buying those $120 snake protex gaiters?:)
I agree - if you look through the statistics, most people who are badly bitten are either trying to pick up the snake, or trying to kill it. The number of people badly bitten while casually picking up firewood or bushwalking is small, but not zero.
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Happy Pirate » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 4:51 pm

madmacca wrote:I agree - if you look through the statistics, most people who are badly bitten are either trying to pick up the snake, or trying to kill it. The number of people badly bitten while casually picking up firewood or bushwalking is small, but not zero.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, as I'm sure you're right but have you ever actually seen those statistics? I hear them referred to all the time.
I'm sure it's the truth but as soon as people say definitively "the statistics say xxxx" I have to ask to see the data. :roll:
Best
Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby slparker » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 10:15 pm

I had a quick look and couldn't find records of any bushwalker (by bushwalker I mean a prepared backcountry walker) dying from snakebite. I'm sure a few get bitten but it doesn't seem to be a cause of death for prepared bushwalkers in modern times.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bogong Moth » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 10:38 am

I don't have the data, sorry, but I only know one person that's actually been bitten (and I've stood on a snake on two separate occasions), and that was whilst collecting the chook's eggs. Snakes like eggs and didnt' appreciate the hand coming to get them.

I'm a vet. Dogs and cats very frequently get bitten, as they agitate the snakes instead of leaving them alone. Occasionally horses get bitten on the muzzle (whilst grazing), but it's much more rare.
Bogong Moth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mark F » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 11:09 am

The main problem with walking solo is not having someone else to blame when things go a bit awry. This is more than compensated for by the freedom to do exactly what you want (within your physical limits :D ).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby paul_gee » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 8:47 am

Mark F wrote:This is more than compensated for by the freedom to do exactly what you want (within your physical limits :D ).

And, to meet new people. Like-minded people.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 9:07 am

The only downside to walking solo [ provided you can stand your own company] is having to carry all of the gear yourself.
No sharing of stove/pot/shelter etc
This can add ~10% to ~30% to the base load depending on the season and your desired comfort level
PLB? Nope never owned one and don't think I ever will, if it is so damned dangerous to walk in that area solo just go somewhere else perhaps?
Same for the GPS; learn to use a map and compass first; lighter and the batteries don't run down
If there is a track then the GPS is redundant as a beginners tool
It's not as if the Australian bush had any dangerous wild animals we had to be afraid of, ordinary caution should work for snakes.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 11:02 am

Viperthumbnail.jpg
Viperthumbnail.jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 16289 times
No, I wasn't sure how a discussion on snake behaviour (vs what to do when one is alone) crept into this thread, but while we are here....http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1410237 I gather this gent was indeed minding his own business as it were. I do recall someone in Qld bitten by a rough scale after venturing into the bushes at night for the same purpose, but the bite was on his foot.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 11:22 am

Pretty pictures
I had a mate bitten there by a leech once, same scenario; could not get it to release and we had to go into Mt Gambier hospital for some dry ice and a band-aid
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Happy Pirate » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 9:15 pm

madmacca wrote:2. If any item of equipment fails, then you can't borrow the other person's. This means ALL your gear must be tested and reliable, and that you have some sort of backup for any truly essential item

I had a major equipment fail on my last solo walk of the Crosscut Saw - Viking Circuit.
Coming down off the Viking one of my boots shed it's sole in a soaring arc into the dense scrub.
I did the final day with pieces of bark duct-taped against the inner of my destroyed boot.

Moral?
Always carry duct tape....

Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby ofuros » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 3:29 am

......and check your gear for signs of wear & tear before, during or after every trip. :wink:

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby roopass » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 5:06 pm

Great tip !!
Happy Pirate wrote:
madmacca wrote:2. If any item of equipment fails, then you can't borrow the other person's. This means ALL your gear must be tested and reliable, and that you have some sort of backup for any truly essential item

I had a major equipment fail on my last solo walk of the Crosscut Saw - Viking Circuit.
Coming down off the Viking one of my boots shed it's sole in a soaring arc into the dense scrub.
I did the final day with pieces of bark duct-taped against the inner of my destroyed boot.

Moral?
Always carry duct tape....

Steve
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Count » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 11:25 pm

How did the trip go roopass?
I used to live not far from the area, always surprises me the decent hiking tracks right on your doorstep!
Count
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby roopass » Sat 21 May, 2016 5:12 am

It went great, loved it, thanks for all your advice, it gave me the cofidence to have a go at doing my first overnite solo hike.
If u like u can go to YouTube and search , it's hiking time
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion