New to hiking

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: New to hiking

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 22 Nov, 2015 9:12 am

north-north-west wrote:
Lophophaps wrote:For example, I carry a tripod, essential. Another person has a Kindle, not in my pack.

A Kindle is a lot lighter than a tripod.

Not my tripod.
Small tripod.JPG
Baby tripod, about 50 grams.

discoveryadventure wrote:Im just going to hold of for a while on the mattress. Get a bit more advice and shop around see what I like before I get one of them. Also I jumped the gun a bit with the dehydrator. I am not buying one yet but I am going to start looking into them.

Consider a 3/4 mat with gaps in the foam, ultralight or similar name. From memory they are about 460 grams. I use this sort of mat in the snow with a very thin matt underneath. The mat also works fine in summer.

discoveryadventure wrote:As for the trails in Tassie I answered your question before I had even done much research : / as you can tell hehe... The OLT is booked out when we want to do it and the South Coast Trail is far to experienced and big for our second hike. I really like the three cape hike but think there is only cabins otherwise I'm still looking around and doing research I'm wanting something around 3-4 days and Coastal. : ) Also free is possible and not as well known hehe.

Yeah ill do some research into the safety gear and search the forums..

Yes, I knew that the OLT was most probably booked out for the 2015-16 season. NNW has some good advice about options. Free is nice. Three capes does not appeal much. December BWA will be available soon, and it features Tassie walks, so you may get some ideas from that.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby discoveryadventure » Sun 22 Nov, 2015 10:23 am

Hey the three cape walk looks awesome but the price is CRAZY. $$$495 wow :shock: :shock: :shock:
discoveryadventure
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby discoveryadventure » Fri 27 Nov, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks North North West for the great advice on trails in Tassie.

We have booked and will be in Tassie for two months. We are now thinking we may do the Penguin to Cradle trail or some of the other ones you suggested.

Just want to thank everyone for all the advice and support, it has been great we are pretty much fully geared up now, spent a lot of money but have the essential gear and quality gear that I am super happy with. Just going to look into getting some good first aid/safety gear. Also still want to get myself a dehydrator at some point.

Cheers guys I will still post any further questions I have and keep you updated on any progress can't wait to do a few hikes in Tassie.
discoveryadventure
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby discoveryadventure » Thu 04 Feb, 2016 1:12 pm

UPDATE: We are Still In Tassie and have completed the three Capes hike for free. It was great!! Don't know about all the boardwalk though ;)
We have also gone up to Mount Eliza and Mount Ann.
Completed a heap of day hikes.

Now about to head out for the South Coast Track.
discoveryadventure
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion