Boots

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Boots

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 08 May, 2016 8:04 pm

Kkayte wrote:I'm hoping that someone could give me some tips, not sure if I can follow on from this thread I am new to this site.
I recently purchased a new pair of beautiful dancer boots from the US that fit really well except after wearing them a couple of times after a little while around the cuff (?) of the boot starts to really hurt. I have worn them for a few short periods and wore them on a longer basic walk recently but ended up with brutal blisters and even some slight swelling on my upper ankle.
The leather is quite thick at this part of the boot and I understand it's probably just breaking them in, but does anyone have any tips on stretching out or breaking in this particular part of the boot? I really just need to soften it up a bit. Any tips appreciated.

A couple of things you can do, one is tape the spot on your leg that is rubbing, leukoplast or a similar smooth, non-tacky tape will work, white "k" tape can be tacky and that might cause more skin pulling. Adjusting the lacing, maybe leaving the upper eyelets unused is another option. If the top of the boot is unpadded (just a straight leather edge) then some gentle heat and some boot wax or dubin might soften that part. if it is padded, then you will have to just adjust with the laces.

It sounds to me like you are getting too much tension, but its hard to tell. How often do you adjust your laces when walking? what sort of socks do you wear?
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 09 May, 2016 5:32 am

It sounds like the top of the boot may be too stiff. Gadgetgeeks' advice is certainly one option. Blisters are caused by the skin stretching too much. See http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/wha ... s-blisters. That is, it’s a shearing force rather than a rubbing one. On the above website look for Engo patches. These are very tough very smooth patches that are applied to the footwear, including insoles. The idea is that instead of the sock sticking to the boot and then rubbing the skin, the sock slides over the Engo patch. Engo patches are popular with runners.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby MrsGypsy » Tue 10 May, 2016 7:05 pm

Great article about blisters - very interesting Lophophaps!
The article referred to shoe lacing, here is the link to that - another interesting read!
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/index.htm

BTW... my super-duper wide fitting hiking boots (Asolo) have been decommissioned due to delamination of the sole.
(Un**believable... WT *$&#... Bugga...)
"For today only!" - it is only ever this moment that counts...!
MrsGypsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Nicktzam » Tue 10 May, 2016 7:38 pm

Yesterday I bought a pair of Keen boots from ray's outdoors in nunawading,gypsum mid waterproof,firstever hiking boots,wanted those beautiful liberty ridge but of course the 44's were nowhere to be found,so next choice were the gypsum, after heaps of searching initially, I said to the sales guy what about price match no worries bring it up on the smartphone and bang they knocked off 70 dollars off the shelf price,now here's the interesting part about sizing,the 43's in the liberty,all leather, were tight and ever so slightly constricting in the toe,same size in the gypsum, combination leather and web, perfect fit, definately this brand has the edge on fit for my way of thinking.
Nicktzam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nicktzam » Tue 10 May, 2016 7:45 pm

BTW... my super-duper wide fitting hiking boots (Asolo) have been decommissioned due to delamination of the sole.
(Un**believable... WT *$&#... Bugga...)
That's unbelievable,regardless of how long you have had the boots the vulcanisation process should guarantee long adhesion,I would get them repaired or replaced through their agents,forget going to a local repairer they only use contact cement unless some has a heat glue which flexes, Dad had an RM Williams agency in Bairnsdale for 25 years and familiarity with quality workmanship is ingrained,must have been a manufacturing error for your Asolo's
Nicktzam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lindsay » Tue 10 May, 2016 7:48 pm

Lophophaps wrote:It sounds like the top of the boot may be too stiff. Gadgetgeeks' advice is certainly one option. Blisters are caused by the skin stretching too much. See http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/wha ... s-blisters. That is, it’s a shearing force rather than a rubbing one. On the above website look for Engo patches. These are very tough very smooth patches that are applied to the footwear, including insoles. The idea is that instead of the sock sticking to the boot and then rubbing the skin, the sock slides over the Engo patch. Engo patches are popular with runners.

The information on the link seems plausible enough, however whenever I am offered something free if I will only provide my email address I get rather suspicious. The woman could have easily provided that information on the website. And while I may not be an expert, I'm pretty sure all my blisters have been caused by external friction, as evidenced by the wear on the tape on my heels and toes.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 10 May, 2016 8:45 pm

Lindsay wrote:The information on the link seems plausible enough, however whenever I am offered something free if I will only provide my email address I get rather suspicious. The woman could have easily provided that information on the website. And while I may not be an expert, I'm pretty sure all my blisters have been caused by external friction, as evidenced by the wear on the tape on my heels and toes.

Lindsay, I can't understand what you mean by "something free". Is this on the website that I cited? By "that woman" do you mean Rebecca? It sounds to me as if there is external friction. To paraphrase Rebecca's book, there are three types of friction:
1 Skin-sock;
2 Sock layers if you wear double socks; and
3 Shoe-sock.

One remedy may be lacing. The boots may be too big or otherwise not fit.

Please note that Rebecca is an internationally recognised expert on blisters, and has a BSc (Pod), 20 years of experience.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby kategriffin » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi,
I am preparing for a 8 day hike on Fraser Island (QLD) where the tracks are predominantly compacted sand with leaf matter. I am assuming we will rarely encounter rocky country and there is relatively limited inclines or descents. Are boots necessary? I do not own and pair and was thinking of either wearing a good quality jogger or a merrell style trail shoe.
Thanks,
Kate
kategriffin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby danthewanderer » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 2:06 pm

Kate,
We walked the Fraser Great Walk in October. The track is as you assumed & boots definitely not necessary.
Dan
danthewanderer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kategriffin » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks for that Dan. Will probably get some trail style joggers.

Did you walk the Dilli to Happy Valley stretch in the 8 days? We were hoping to come out onto the beach at Happy Valley and walk up the beach to Waddy Point but not sure what to expect. Our aim is to 'walk the island' as opposed to see the sites.

The topography map shows daily sections of 6-16km per day. Is a 15km average realistic? This is our first long walk so just not sure if they are not full days of walking or does walking on the sand really limit the distance covered in a day.

Thanks,
Kate
kategriffin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby danthewanderer » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 11:39 am

We walked it in reverse & very comfortably in 7 days, there are few ups & downs & what there is, wouldn't take any more than probs 20 min. The 'sand' is quite compacted & very rarely like walking on a beach, although would soften up after a hot/dry spell. So 15km/day is easily achieved. Not sure when you planning, but summer would be very hot, recommend spring or autumn - cooler walking conditions, but warm enough to swim in the lakes which are real highlight of the walk.

Rumour has it they are working on a track going north from Happy Valley, might be worth asking about it.

Happy walking, let us know how you go.
danthewanderer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sat 06 May, 2017 12:43 pm

Been exploring waterfalls & gorges lately with
lots of rock hopping.
Any boots out there with soles that provide a better grip on slippery rocks & slabs ?...don't mind them wearing faster just as long as they provide better grip than my vibram soled scarpa's.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Sat 06 May, 2017 6:47 pm

Wide Load have completely sold out of all models for this year they were so popular and successful...?!
I rang them and they are working on the 2017 model as we speak.
I asked if they had thought about designing a hiking boot and said I was wearing mine for hiking!
The lady on the phone said she would pass that on, so I wait to see?
Glad I got my hands on, and my feet in a pair.
So there goes yet another option for me...

MrsGypsy, have you had any luck locating more of these boots? None of the links on their website appear to work.
Eremophila

Postby rcaffin » Tue 09 May, 2017 7:48 pm

Been exploring waterfalls & gorges lately with lots of rock hopping.
Any boots out there with soles that provide a better grip on slippery rocks & slabs ?

Most Sydney Bushwalking Clubs have a very strict rule for canyoning trips: you wear Dunlop Volleys, or you don't go on the trip.
There is a reason ...

But boots? The only boots I have are ski boots. I gave up buying boots maybe a decade ago or more. Light-weight low-cut joggers, NON-GTX, are all my wife & I wear these days - anywhere. In a 4E width fitting. With thick wool Darn Tough Vermont Boot Socks. Not had a blister for the last 20+ years.

But Oz retail has such a huge markup that we find we can import from the mfr in USA for (literally) half the price. So we do.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 09 May, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for that info Roger.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion