Dehydration symptoms

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Dehydration symptoms

Postby neilmny » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:31 am

puredingo wrote:Hmmm. I've never been a big fan of the water bladder, my thinking was if I'm in need of a drink then it's probably a good time to drop the pack and take five, rest and enjoy a guzzle. BUT for this Christmas my missus goes and gets me a Platypus/camelback thingy (shows how much attention she pays to my gear preferences!) and I must admit I was pleasently surprised. Sipping away as you go does have it's benefits, my only gripe is you are commited to carrying X amount of water when on some walks, with good water supply, it isn't needed.

Also I find a good flushing of water over the head/down the back of the neck sometimes feels just as bebeficial as drinking it. Absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up but if you can spare the water it revigourating!

You don't have to fill it full up.
I would never have enough water on board to be able to tip some over my head. I sweat a lot and need every drop of the 3 litres I carry on a warm to hot day.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:39 am

I used to use a camelback but after accidentally losing the majority of my supply after leaving my pack on the bite valve and also having a bite valve fail (the O-rings come off) I rarely use one for walking.

I now use two or more bottles, which gives me redundancy and it is much lighter than a camelback. I make myself stop for 5 minutes every hour for a handful of scroggin and a drink so it's no issue to break out the water bottle.
if it is really hot and humid I still carry one because I know that I'm going to drink a lot and drink more regularly.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm also a big fan of the listen to your body theory.

When I was growing up, I'd run around in the heat for ages. Eventually I'd be dying for a drink, so I'd turn on the hose and gulp down a heap and then sit down and have a rest.

The "you have to drink x glasses of water a day" is not a theory I subscribe to.

Do what your body is telling you to do. Don't drink 8L a day because some magazine article said so and end up with hypnotraemia.

Same with food. Have never had any weight issues my whole life, because I eat when my body tells me I need to. If someone brings out dessert but I feel full, I won't eat any. If someone wants coffee and offers me a cake, I won't eat it. Not because I can't, but because if my body isn't hungry, I don't need to.

I'd imagine you had a stomach bug or virus. If you can't keep water down, you need to be on a saline drip.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby wayno » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 2:04 pm

what you eat can alter how much water you need.
carbohydrates dont need a great deal of water to digest, most carb meals contain water in them already, usually more than enough to digest your food,you arent likely to need to drink to digest a starchy meal unless its in dried form. protein needs more water than carbs to digest., fat needs even more times the amount.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby slparker » Sat 23 Jan, 2016 9:53 am

wayno wrote:what you eat can alter how much water you need.
carbohydrates dont need a great deal of water to digest, most carb meals contain water in them already, usually more than enough to digest your food,you arent likely to need to drink to digest a starchy meal unless its in dried form. protein needs more water than carbs to digest., fat needs even more times the amount.

Carbohydrates create water when they are digested the CHO gets split into water and carbon dioxide. The CO2 gets breathed out and the water becomes part of your body water.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion