Memories and why I hang on to some gear

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Memories and why I hang on to some gear

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 7:55 pm

Prompted to start this thread after a couple of exchanges with Chris
I have a lot of what my beloved Cecile calls "junk" in the shed and while most of it is way past its working life some of the items have such strong associations with some very good times I am loath to part with them; I'd give them to a good home or sell them but not take them to the tip
The old kids pack full of hole where the rats chewed though it to get to the chockolate my daughter left in there and my old PaddyMade japara tent for instance
Some things simply take me back to times when I was happiest or remind me of when my kids were still just kids
Also some gear deserves a second life as car camping gear or safety equipment in the boot
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Memories and why I hang on to some gear

Postby neil_fahey » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 8:53 am

I'm waaay too attached to my backpacks and hiking shoes. Much to my wife's dismay I'm pretty determined to never throw them out. :lol:
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au

Postby Eremophila » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 11:27 am

Finally threw out my old Hi-Tec boots recently.... My feet have widened over the years and there's no way I could wear them now, but they got me through my early years of bushwalking. Lugging them along through two interstate moves probably wasn't necessary, but I just couldn't bear to part with them.

That said, it's always such a liberating and cleansing experience when you offload "stuff".
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ant71 » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 7:03 pm

I have my first pair of hiking boots their from Aldi I always hiked in joggers before I got them i have had them for years always did the job but they were not water proof so i got some new ones I think I am on my third pair now but i still have those first Aldi pair
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanShell » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 7:20 pm

I have all my motorbike riding gear from when I was a little tacker, so I have 8 helmets, goggles and gloves.

But as far as bushwalking gear goes I generally hang onto stuff because I think some is better for warmer weather and some obviously better for wet or cold weather etc. I didn't get attached to it like I have my motorbike gear.

But the more experienced I get the more my bushwalking gear as evolved. And no doubt thats always going to happen, although its now slowing as I am possibly as light as I am prepared to push it and when I buy new stuff I need to sell old stuff to finance the new stuff.....or keep the wife happy ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby That_Asian_Bloke » Sun 08 May, 2016 9:29 pm

My first time ever walking was when I booked a tour to do the Classic Trail to Machu Picchu (you can read about it in an old issue of Great Walks). I bought a 2nd hand pack off Gumtree and I have never been able to part with it since. I still use the same detachable pack for daily commutes to work and the gym.
That_Asian_Bloke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bushwalking Discussion