Humping other peeps junk in your trunk....

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Humping other peeps junk in your trunk....

Postby puredingo » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 8:25 pm

Took me a mosey up the Castle on Saturday and although it certainly was an amazing sight to behold it was also a filthy mess of rubbish.

My pack was bursting with track trash such as plastic bottles, wrappers, cans ( food and drink) the Ol' ccf mattress bits and a pair of jeans! BUT what's even more disturbing is the fact that many other walkers are quite content to ignore the rubbish and stride on past? I can understand the Dunny paper, I can't come at that myself but the other general stuff...come on, do your bit.

What's others opinions here. Do we all pitch in or are our walks about our own enjoyment and not paper duties at lunchtime.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Humping other peeps junk in your trunk....

Postby surly 17 » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 6:20 am

I'm with you on this pure dingo I have to pick up rubbish it drives me mad but I won't pick up other peoples toilet paper.
surly 17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 10:40 am

Good job. Have certainly participated in this "pick up others' garbage" game on tracks and educated my Mr15 on this deed to make a difference.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 11:14 am

I can't remember the last time I came back from a walk without carrying someone else's rubbish. Sometimes it's just little bits, like bandaids or empty noodle flavour sachets. But there's always something.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby stry » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 12:17 pm

Definitely agree. Many little bits and pieces add up to a big difference. I find it helpful if I don't waste brain space on being angry, and simply pick it up.

I also am turd and paper averse, and not keen on tissues either. Sometimes just poke tissues somewhere out of sight with a pole or stick and hope they decompose.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 1:12 pm

agree although I have been known to pick up discarded nappies IF there is a plastic bag/chip packet handy to use as a glove! often is because oddly these items are often near rubbish bins at the end of the walk. I always try to bring a fairly strong bag (the 15c supermarket bags not the giveaways) when walking on the beach - litter is an obvious and immediate problem as I understand things like plastic bags/bottles can be mistaken for edible jellyfish and injure fish & dolphins, and twine or rope tangles birds and fish. Issue is what to do with it? I do understand that Parks & Wildlife often don't provide bins, saying - correctly - that if you can carry it in you can carry it out, we have other things to do with our limited budget. But the 2 filled bags I collected in a couple of hours on the Yurragir track weren't brought in by me! Perhaps the ranger's offices, or other places could be ready to accept Clean-up litter - its usually obvious that a single person on a day walk isn't going to have produced 30 litres of plastic that's beginning to fall apart. Thank you to the camp manager at Station Creek who accepted the rubbish - but had we not been with a ranger who knew him it could have been a problem. Lots of this crap comes from boaties, not walkers.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Hermione » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 6:16 pm

Picking up other people's rubbish on walks has been known to make me quite cranky at times but definitely can't leave it there. Ok maybe some of it is dropped by accident, but surely you don't accidentally a big glass jar that previously contained salsa? Also refuse to pick up other people's toilet paper, of which there is sometimes an awful lot.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 7:09 pm

Always find myself bringing something home every trip
I have also been know to pick up loo paper on a stick if I happen to have a fire going
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 8:08 pm

On most walks I find and carry out something. On longer walks it's not viable to carry much extra except towards the end. Rubbish serves as a beacon for the brain dead to leave their rubbish. Hence, even though it will not rot for eons and is against carry in carry out, it can be argued that moving rubbish away from the track and out of sight is indicated.

One of the biggest piles in a popular spot was at Federation Hut on Feathertop. From the hut go to the camping area then veer left for a minute. Behold! An orange garbag with stinking wet detritus. It was too wet, grotty and putrid to carry out, so I reported it to a ranger who was on the mountain.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 8:17 pm

The crew I work with run a pretty strict NLT regime on our trips, although we don't go as far as poo tubes and TP bags, everything gets buried or carried out. I know a lot of the guys will collect rubbish to help instill that mentality in the kids. Many of them have only camped in the 4x4 and so don't really get why its important off the start, but hopefully they get the idea when it comes to their own trips, and with their parents. I've gone as far as making my group pick food scraps out of the grass after carelessly dumping washing water. Didn't happen the second night. I found having a trash-bag rigged up (I use one of the S2S bags attached to the outside of my pack) help motivate the collecting, its too easy to walk past if I have to stop, and drop the pack to collect.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Hermione » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 9:00 pm

The bag sounds like a good idea Gadgetgeek. I usually end up stuffing small bits of relatively clean rubbish (like chocolate wrappers) in my pockets until I'm ready to take my pack off. I find even tiny bits of plastic packaging are very conspicuous in the bush.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sim1oz » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 11:00 pm

I carry a rubbish bag specifically for other people's rubbish. On a longer walk, it fills up as my food diminishes. My most memorable collection was gathered during a day walk on Mud Islands in Port Phillip. I carried 'out' wine bottles, beer bottles, and the lid of a toilet cistern. The latter was quite annoying, bumping me as I walked.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 8:31 am

A mate carried out a big rubber boat fender off the beach at cox bight - more jetsam than rubbish, i suppose - the sight of him folding and squeezing the fender into his pack for 5 days was worth the price of admission.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flyfisher » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 10:36 am

These days I am often in the bush in a 4wd and always carry rubbish bags for my junk and any we come across along the way.

When camping, vehicle based or walking, the last thing is always the emu parade, where even the smallest of items is removed.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby eaglehawk » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 7:07 pm

"emu parade" I like that, we call it campsite clean-up, and the kids know it's what we do
eaglehawk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flyfisher » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 7:18 pm

Good habits for kids to learn, ours still do it . :wink:

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby walk2wineries » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 10:51 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:The crew I work with run a pretty strict NLT regime on our trips,

Took me a minute. NLT = LNT?
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 7:15 am

Yep, my lysdexia kicked in. sometimes letters end up in the wrong place.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 7:45 am

Gadgetgeek wrote:Yep, my lysdexia kicked in. sometimes letters end up in the wrong place.

This explains my navigation. Thank you.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Bushwalking Discussion