Woman tells how she survived five nights in East Gippsland

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Woman tells how she survived five nights in East Gippsland

Postby MickyB » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 5:52 pm

A BELGIAN visitor lost in dense bush in Victoria’s east for five nights has told how she survived only on creek water, fearing that eating anything would kill her. Veronique Biunkens was also scared that if the cold nights and hot days without food didn’t get her, then poisonous snakes and spiders or wild dogs would.Speaking publicly for the first time since being rescued last month, Ms Biunkens said she was too frightened to eat plant or animal life, or to grab tempting berries off shrubs, in case any of it was poisonous.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... df947f8ddb
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Woman tells how she survived five nights in East Gippsla

Postby Xplora » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 5:52 am

I recall this story when she was first found and a survival expert commented on her and said she had done well. I can't find the story but his final comment was something to the effect she at least she would have had a lot of quiet to time to meditate. Funny how common sense saved her and the lack of it got her there. A week later and it happened again but the retreat raised the alarm a bit quicker. The second woman knew the first.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/0 ... ic-retreat
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stroller » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:51 am

The link in MIcky's post is only readable if you are a subscriber to the newspaper.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Xplora » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 5:51 am

Stroller wrote:The link in MIcky's post is only readable if you are a subscriber to the newspaper.

I found the same but then went to Google news and search her name using Australia only as a filter and it came up with the story which was picked up by another agency that did not require subscription. It really didn't say any more than that which was first printed after she was found apart from a big highlighted section on her survival tips which makes it look like she is an expert. That is the media and not her.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MickyB » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 7:04 am

Xplora wrote:
Stroller wrote:The link in MIcky's post is only readable if you are a subscriber to the newspaper.

I found the same but then went to Google news and search her name using Australia only as a filter and it came up with the story which was picked up by another agency that did not require subscription. It really didn't say any more than that which was first printed after she was found apart from a big highlighted section on her survival tips which makes it look like she is an expert. That is the media and not her.

Sorry Stroller. I had actually read the article in the newspaper. Didn't relaise I was automatically logged in to Herald-Sun site when I posted the link :oops: . Due to forum rules I can't post the whole article. The big highlighted section Xplora mentioned is:
Attachments
e72ce372b4b373050082356ab4523edb.jpg
e72ce372b4b373050082356ab4523edb.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Bushwalking Discussion