What is the easiest/hardest thing about hiking/camping?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: What is the easiest/hardest thing about hiking/camping?

Postby Suz » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 5:30 pm

easiest: walking on the flat.
hardest: descending.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby loganator » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 7:17 pm

Easiest: deciding on doing it. Usually a whim of the moment thing, but most great things are.

Hardest bit ive found is getting set up. Once you've got the equipment and know what your doing its quite fun packing for the next adventure. Weighing your foods, already looking forward to the dried mango etc.

Starting out is easy enough for me as long as I know which direction and have a plan im good. Love walking through thick pine forests on a slight downwards slope. The hard bit is usually the second day. But once you have your "legs" it's easy. Occasionally you then hit a wall after a few weeks and it's real hard to keep on going in which case you've just got to keep going.

Sounds wierd but i find eating hard to when hiking. Not sure why but I do.
Nothing is going to stop me,
Even if my body falls broken
My mind and spirit shall carry me on
loganator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby MickyB » Mon 25 Apr, 2016 11:39 am

loganator wrote: Love walking through thick pine forests on a slight downwards slope.

Radiata pine forests/plantations? I hate walking through these forests. I find them boring with very little scenery.

loganator wrote:Sounds wierd but i find eating hard to when hiking. Not sure why but I do.

I know a few people like that, myself included. On multi day walks I usually don't have an appetite for the first two or three days.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby whitefang » Mon 25 Apr, 2016 9:12 pm

MickyB wrote:
loganator wrote: Love walking through thick pine forests on a slight downwards slope.

Radiata pine forests/plantations? I hate walking through these forests. I find them boring with very little scenery.

I enjoy pine plantations. I enjoy walking through them and pines are one of my favourite plants. I like the way they look and smell. When I do find the scenery dull it's always easy enough to pick up the pace and push my body harder and further. Some of the native bush I have had to walk through is by far, in my opinion, more dull than a pine plantation.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby MickyB » Mon 25 Apr, 2016 9:35 pm

whitefang wrote:
MickyB wrote:

I enjoy pine plantations. I enjoy walking through them and pines are one of my favourite plants. I like the way they look and smell. When I do find the scenery dull it's always easy enough to pick up the pace and push my body harder and further. Some of the native bush I have had to walk through is by far, in my opinion, more dull than a pine plantation.

Definitely agree with you that they smell nice. The plantations I have been through have had rows and rows of pines planted close together resulting in limited sunlight and therefore limited ground vegetation which is why I find the scenery dull. Having said that I would much rather walk through a pine plantation than a major city.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby walkerchris77 » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 1:47 pm

And u dont have to worry about trams.
walkerchris77
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby clance » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:39 pm

Hardest- hygiene on extended trips
Easiest- getting to sleep early

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
clance
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion