Technology in the bush

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Technology in the bush

Postby neil_fahey » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 9:08 am

I've come across quite a few people who are very anti-technology in the bush on this forum, and while I completely understand their point of view, I'm interested to find out what they think about this article I just stumbled across...

Leveraging Technology to Foster New Love for Outdoors
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au
Region: Victoria

Re: Technology in the bush

Postby Lindsay » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 10:26 am

There is a difference between using technology to make your walking safer and more comfortable and being so wrapped up in it that you forget to experience the wilderness you went in search of in the first place. The couple described in the article seemed to be enjoying their walk as well as taking some photos to remember it. Its when someone cant get by without taking a selfie or checking facebook every five minutes or stresses when they are out of wifi range that they may as well have stayed home.
Like it or not technology is here to stay and has affected everything outdoors from the clothes we wear, the gear we carry, the way we record our experiences and the way we call for help. Just be able to leave it alone unless its needed and don't let it overtake the experience.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby RonK » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 10:55 am

The current generation are driven to share their every waking moment on social media. I'm not convinced that the example cited amounts to any more than that, rather than any real appreciation of nature and the outdoors.

However this paradigm is not confined to the current digital technology. Over the years I've observed countless travellers who only see their surrounds through the lens of a camera.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 11:08 am

Does technology have a place in the wilderness? In my humble opinion, it comes down to where the technology sits relative to the experience: does it sit in the background with a certain invisibility, or is it frontal and ever obvious? Another way of looking at this is by asking whether it defines the experience or supplements it.

Talk is often entered into regarding social media, etc, but let's step back and look at just the photograph (ignoring the posting, tagging, commenting, and liking, etc). Do you, when presented with a beautiful vista to reward your hard work, take in the view in quiet respect for it, taking a few photos to capture the moment at one point, or do you immediately take out the camera and snap away? If the former, I would say the camera is supplementing the experience. If the latter, I'd suggest you letting the camera define the experience. Add posting, tagging, commenting and liking, and you are certainly letting the technology define the moment and the experience. This can all wait until later, in my opinion.

I think it is also important to properly define what types of technology is being discussed, and that is typically electronic technology, or perhaps more specifically electronic communication technology. As bushwalkers we are ultimately surrounded by technology: the fabrics we wear, the shelters in which we sleep, the stove upon which we cook, and even the knot that keeps our shoes fixed to our feet are all products of technology. Even those who have a personal ban against GPS units are not freeing themselves of navigational technology: their map is made by satellites, planes fitted with laser rangefinders, or in the simplest form triangulation, and like a magnetic compass these are all items of technology.

So, is technology a bad thing? No, I do not think so. Should we let it define our experience rather than supplement it? Again I think not.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Count » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 9:14 pm

I agree with the above posts and imagine this to be the consensus on this forum.
Technology has its place on our walk, but I think the social media side should stay at home.
I'll take a camera, but as above will sit and have lunch enjoying a vista for a spell before taking a couple of shots to show the family etc.
Count
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby quill » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 12:51 am

I use a 7" tablet to watch comedy in my tent once the day's walk is done, I've cooked my dinner and hot chocolate awaits. No finer feeling to me than to be curled up wrapped in silk, swaddled by down and watching Louie as it rains outside.
quill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby ribuck » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 5:22 am

I have been using technology in the bush my whole life. A magnetic compass is technology. A torch is technology. A box of matches is technology. All of these things bring some aspect of the "outside world" into the bush.

A camera or a GPS or a web browser is not fundamentally different. All of these things bring some aspect of the "outside world" into the bush.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Count » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 6:42 am

ribuck wrote:A camera or a GPS or a web browser is not fundamentally different. All of these things bring some aspect of the "outside world" into the bush.

I wouldn't put a web browser in the same category as a camera or GPS.

The fact that you can contact or be contacted by the outside world is the defining point for me, if I'm in the bush, the last thing I want to see is a stream of work emails!
Count
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MrWalker » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 7:10 am

People walk in the bush for lots of different reasons.

If someone is a mad keen camera enthusiast and they go bush just to check out their fancy camera features then that's fine if it gets them out there. I like lots of technology and have been known to have a GPS watch one each wrist and another GPS in my pack, just to keep track of everything. Some people get out there to meet others and enjoy their company and some people get out there to be alone. Just because some of us don't want to update our facebook pages or take selfies out there doesn't mean there is anything wrong with those who do.

The only reason to object to other peoples' weird behavior in the bush is when it seriously impinges on the enjoyment of others.
MrWalker

Region: Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 7:26 am

I think we are forgetting that technology devices can have dual uses in the bush.

For example: http://www.snotr.com/video/8965

:D
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 7:50 am

oyster_07 wrote:Do you, when presented with a beautiful vista to reward your hard work, take in the view in quiet respect for it, taking a few photos to capture the moment at one point, or do you immediately take out the camera and snap away?

It's not quite that black and white.
I snap away all the time - but I always spend more time just soaking up the places and the views and the experiences. The camera gives me something more to remember the walk by, but it's not the reason I walk. When the special things happen, half the time I'm too gobsmacked by what I'm seeing to remember to reach for the camera.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tqc » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 8:58 am

The article is defending something that doesn't need defending - I may not understand it, but how you choose to enjoy the bush is your business.

That seems to be pretty well accepted, and I haven't noticed much of an anti-technology sentiment here, just some people talking about their personal preference. The exception is safety - if you plan to walk across the wilderness using a map that doesn't show cliffs and requires a good mobile connection, you will probably be told you are being dangerously ignorant.
tqc
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby oyster_07 » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 9:12 am

north-north-west wrote:
oyster_07 wrote:Do you, when presented with a beautiful vista to reward your hard work, take in the view in quiet respect for it, taking a few photos to capture the moment at one point, or do you immediately take out the camera and snap away?

It's not quite that black and white.
I snap away all the time - but I always spend more time just soaking up the places and the views and the experiences. The camera gives me something more to remember the walk by, but it's not the reason I walk. When the special things happen, half the time I'm too gobsmacked by what I'm seeing to remember to reach for the camera.

That's what I am saying. Let the camera supplement the experience, not be the sole experience.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 10:08 am

The variety of pursuits make the meet ups and camp fire chats more interesting. It's not my business to what level another uses technology, as long as they are safe, don't disturb and damage. When it comes to an emergency, I know I'll need to depend on technology to help me but will let those who prefer 'low tech experience' do what they wish. :mrgreen:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by GPSGuided on Mon 21 Mar, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 10:25 am

oyster_07 wrote:That's what I am saying. Let the camera supplement the experience, not be the sole experience.

Agree. This could be expanded to let the technology supplement the experience.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 7:32 pm

I know this is a bit off topic, but this thread reminds me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby sim1oz » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 9:07 pm

@photohiker, that video was hilarious! thanks for bring a lighthearted moment to this thread.

Technology is fine by me as long as it complements the bush experience and doesn't ruin it for anyone. For us, that means PLB and GPS - we are out there to get away from it all YMMV
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 5:19 am

I agree with many comments above. Who are we to tell anyone else how to enjoy it. As long as it does not interfere with me then go for it and if technology helps them the good for them. I have been annoyed when walking or riding and all of a sudden someone with me gets phone reception and has to spend 20 minutes responding to messages while we all sit around. I can also have a chuckle when I see the strange things those who are social media obsessed do when out in the bush or when standing at a beautiful lookout and the inbound tourist takes a photos of his girlfriend with his back to the view and does not shoot the view. They probably think I am weird.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby skibug » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 1:19 pm

This has always summed it up for me.

Skibug
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (26.49 KiB) Viewed 17995 times
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roysta » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 4:39 pm

MrWalker, I think you've summed it up beautifully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 5:17 pm

Skibug, PMSL! I've read about people at a live event sent text and pictures about the event rather than watching it.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Nuts » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 5:22 pm

Each to their own, harmless or not. Some consideration of others should be expected, anything that could include others.
I had just read this earlier.. (on my phone :) )

http://www.outsideonline.com/2060641/ou ... -dangerous
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Supertramp » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 5:39 pm

skibug wrote:This has always summed it up for me.

Skibug

Soo true!!
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Xplora » Sat 26 Mar, 2016 5:07 am

Now Wild magazine does a review on speakers you can take into the bush so you can blast out any sense of being there and annoy everyone else around you. I think the mag has lost its relevance and direction. Not going to renew my subscription.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sim1oz » Sun 27 Mar, 2016 2:28 pm

@Xplora, yeah, I was a bit put out when I saw that section in Wild. Headphones I am ok with, speakers puts the music out there even if other people don't want to hear it.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion