Moments of Awesomeness?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Moments of Awesomeness?

Postby Happy Pirate » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 8:46 pm

Following on from the awesome Tassie campsite thread I just read, I wanted to present this Vid and ask:
What is the most amazing sight or experience you've had in the bush?
And any pics?

My humble offering: Cloudfall

Crosscut Saw - Viking Circuit April 2012
This started early as a flat plateau of cloud but the valley cloud sank and the high cloud flowed down like a waterfall. Took an hour or so...
http://sendvid.com/so7coji9
Taken with an old crappy 2MP camera... (after the walk I drove straight to Traralgon and bought the biggest MegaPix camera available)...

Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Moments of Awesomeness?

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 9:20 am

It's hard to single out one. There are what I call 'Moments of Magic' that stay with you but each is unique and rating them is next to impossible.

Don't have any photos of one of the best - I'd reached the top of Spion Kopje (no, not that one, the one in Victoria)(no, not that one, the one in the Alpine NP)(no, not that one, the one above Tali Karng) the first time and was soaking up the views on a lovely (if somewhat breezy) sunny day. Look south along the ridge, then east, then north, then finally turn to the west and . . . hovering over the massive drop below, at eyeball level, about five feet away, is the biggest wedgie I've ever seen. We stayed like that, looking at each other without blinking, for about 15-20 seconds (though it felt a lot longer), neither of us moving, before s/he just tilted the wings and drifted off. The camera never entered my mind.

Ever tried out-staring a wedgie? You won't do it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Moments of Awesomeness?

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 9:36 am

north-north-west wrote:It's hard to single out one. There are what I call 'Moments of Magic' that stay with you but each is unique and rating them is next to impossible.

Agree.

One cold autumn morning I left my camp above Federation Hut and climbed Feathertop in darkness to catch the dawn. I had on all my clothing and I was still cold. Anticipating this I had bought a stove and managed a brew, not easy in the gusting winds. It was nice to hide behind my pack and sip hot tea. Then the sun came up, casting a shadow of Feathertop west over the clouds that filled the valley, quite brilliant. Only on a very few occasions have I had perfect snow. One of the best was coming off the Strumbo Range. There was a very hard crust underneath and 15-20 cm of fresh powder snow. Could not be better. A mountain that will remain nameless has water on the summit, but a long way down in a gully. Acting on advice I found a small hidden pool just below the summit, where I camped and enjoyed the dusk and dawn. Perfect.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Return to Bushwalking Discussion