Editing KML files ?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Editing KML files ?

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:28 am

I've been looking and a heap of options on google for KML file editing, and was wondering if people here had some advice ?

I've been recording walks with MyTracks (soon to be discontinued) so I thought I'd pull the most interesting walks and join the segments, keep a record for sharing or future reference. I'm looking to join the segments and remove all the timing data, opening them in Google earth makes them play as a track but can't select them together to view.

I'm open to other suggestions too, like exporting as gpx instead if it's easier. Also, what do people use to record tracks ? I'm using android.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Editing KML files ?

Postby RonK » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 6:04 pm

Best option would be to convert to gpx - then you'll have many choices of editor, and of course you'll be able to load them onto a GPS.

And if you still want to see visualisations upload them to Doarama.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby LandSailor » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 6:33 pm

.kml files are just text files in XML format, so you can edit them directly with a text editor if you want. Not very user-friendly but you'll have complete control.
.kmz files are compressed zip files of the same thing, so you can extract the kml from a kmz using an unzip program (on windows just rename it from .kmz to .zip file extension and then unzip).
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 7:35 pm

RonK wrote:Best option would be to convert to gpx - then you'll have many choices of editor, and of course you'll be able to load them onto a GPS.
And if you still want to see visualisations upload them to Doarama.
Wow converted a three day trip to gpx and watched it back, pretty amazing !

gpsvisualizer.com has an online converter and a bunch of online viewing options which are also great.

LandSailor wrote:.kml files are just text files in XML format, so you can edit them directly with a text editor if you want. Not very user-friendly but you'll have complete control.
.kmz files are compressed zip files of the same thing, so you can extract the kml from a kmz using an unzip program (on windows just rename it from .kmz to .zip file extension and then unzip).

I had a look at the structure and it's pretty simple but it would take hours to clean them up by hand. It's always good to understand the backend of what you're doing !

I might use the converted gpx files, but hand edit the times / names out of everything. I really just want to display it on google maps to be easiest, or overlay it on listmap topo with mobac.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby keithy » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 9:12 pm

The KML files are just the container. If they are just waypoints/tracks, then convert them to gpx like suggested. I use GPSBabel but there's a few different tools out there.

There is a plethora of gpx file editing software out there - I have had OKMap amongst others for a few years now, but another option is to download Garmin's Basecamp. http://www.garmin.com/en-AU/shop/downloads/basecamp. You can use an OSM map like Andrew's from viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14234&start=150#p268841 as the background map, and do your GPX editing there. With Garmin's Basecamp and an OSM topo map, you can display your tracks over a topo map fully offline.

CasualNerd wrote:gpsvisualizer.com has an online converter and a bunch of online viewing options which are also great.

I like GPSVisualizer. There is another web based gps visualiser that uses your gpx tracks from your own PC without the need for uploading the file - http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/ Mygpsfiles also let you do some gpx file creation/editing. You can upload various gpx files together and just use the browser interface to show/hide them on the map.

For Android, I have a few different apps, but have been using Oruxmaps since late last year, and have been pretty pleased with it. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22380
keithy

Region: Other Country

Return to Bushwalking Discussion