Sharing roads with cars...!!

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Sharing roads with cars...!!

Postby MrsGypsy » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 7:31 pm

In SA there is a brand spanking new RTA legislation which insists that motorists MUST pass a cyclist and allow 1.5m.
Drivers are even allowed to cross double lines, if safe, to do this to ensure that cyclists are kept safe.
I would like this same legislation to include WALKERS/HIKERS who are walking on (the side of) roads.

I live in a rural area and try very hard to not walk on the bitumen road especially during daylight "traffic" hours, but when I have to, not all the cars and heavy vehicles pass by me and exercise caution or due care.
Many cars and the heavier vehicles just rip past and don't even yield, and if it is dark, many don't care to dim their high beams.
When I say rip, I mean they are clearly exceeding the marked speed limits, displacing considerable air, and almost the sound barrier as well.
(I only have my head torch accidentally aimed high towards their windscreen to return the pleasure :twisted:)
Many sections of marked walking trails need to follow a road so it isn't just specific to where I live in this country.

This is just my feeble attempt at changing a horribly entrenched driving attitude that is getting rewarded with a lot of press time and back slapping.

The point of my topic is can a crowd of concerned like minded walkers generate a movement which can get some understanding with governments to change legislation so that walkers/hikers can also feel safe on the roads?
"For today only!" - it is only ever this moment that counts...!
MrsGypsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Sharing roads with cars...!!

Postby MrWalker » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 8:48 pm

You'll probably find most bushwalkers here avoid walking on roads. But I do from time to time, although mostly on unsealed back roads that are not busy.

I don't know what you can do about drivers that don't give you room, but if anyone does move away from me towards the centre of the road, I always give a friendly wave to encourage them.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 8:58 pm

Cyclists typically ride on the road and in a traffic lane. I know few walkers who routinely walk in traffic lanes.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 6:39 am

I also live in a rural area and often share the road with cars and log trucks as we walk or run to keep fit but we listen out for vehicles and generally walk off the tar and in good view. Where possible we walk on the same side as oncoming traffic. That was how traffic laws were when it all started and they were designed to regulate pedestrians as well. I am also a bit more agile than a cycle which has to be on the tar travelling in the same direction as the motor vehicles. I can get out of the way or stop easier. Walking at night on the road is asking for trouble but if you have to then a reflective vest would be most appropriate. Falls Creek is a base for many training groups and I have nearly hit a few running with the flow of traffic, 3 abreast, in the fog and in dark clothing. The new cycle laws I believe have been introduced across the country. The trouble we have is when they ride 2 (or more) abreast. It is not safe to pass on narrow mountain roads and few are considerate enough to move over or go single file. MrsGypsy, I understand your frustration but cannot see governments agreeing to make the law applicable to people walking.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby neilmny » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 9:00 am

MrsGypsy wrote:.........(I only have my head torch accidentally aimed high towards their windscreen to return the pleasure :twisted:) ..........

I don't think blinding the driver with your head torch when he/she is approaching really is a wise decision.
Do you wear something hi-vis when you walk on the road in the dark. It's *&%$#! hard to see someone or an animal even with lights on hi beam.
Don't get me wrong some drivers are just plain idiots in these situations. I get off the road when vehicles approach where there's not much room
and where I might be hard to see. Basically you might be within your rights to be where you are but it doesn't make you any less dead if things go wrong.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby MrsGypsy » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 5:00 am

Getting off the road is my primary intention also.
However if the roadside is steep, boggy, water filled, or tree lined then I can't.
My clothes have reflectiveness designed in their seams.
My headlight beam might be the only thing that gets their attention away from their devices or dashboard in time to avoid me.
"For today only!" - it is only ever this moment that counts...!
MrsGypsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 6:26 am

I would further say that in those obscure bush areas. There'll be no witnesses, let alone any policing. Situational awareness will be key to self preservation than some govt legislation.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bushwalking Discussion