Temperature change with altitude ?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Temperature change with altitude ?

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 03 Jun, 2016 10:19 pm

I'm thinking more about what gear I carry for what temperature I expect, as I often have the choice of heavy and safe, or light and risky. This goes for boots, sleeping bag, tent etc. I took my heavy sleeping bag the last few days, and stayed warm, but I'm wondering what the temperature actually was so I can make these decisions easier in the future.

I know there's a general rule along the lines of minus a degree for every hundred metres altitude, is this accurate ?

If it was forecast -4 in Maydena (300 masl) the last few nights, what was likely the temperature camping at Mt Field (1200 masl) ?

All I know is it was *&%$#! cold out.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Temperature change with altitude ?

Postby photohiker » Fri 03 Jun, 2016 10:27 pm

I think 1C per 100m is correct for dry air.

Moist air, around .6C per 100m

http://www.cmmap.org/learn/clouds/lapseRate.html
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 5:16 am

its exacerbated by generally increasing windspeed he higher on a mountain range you are. i walk up a 100m hill nearby regularly, i can be toasty at the bottom, but at the top its freezing with the wind, the air temp isnt much lower...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Orion » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 7:14 am

The standard atmosphere defines -6.5°C/km as the lapse rate. It's meant to be a typical value. The actual lapse rate varies considerably during the day, seasonally, due to specific terrain and because of weather.

Take a look on BOM at the temperatures for Hobart (51m) and Mt. Wellington (1260m) on June 3rd. Using those two nearby locations you would calculate a lapse that varies from -4.9°C/km in the middle of the afternoon to an inverted +1.4°C/km in mid-morning. Inversions aren't uncommon.

Here's a table of suggested lapse rates for mountainous terrain for different months the year (from Seasonal and Synoptic Variations in Near-Surface Air Temperature Lapse Rates in a Mountainous Basin, JAMC, Jan 2008):

Note that the data that went into producing this table were from the northern hemisphere so you'll want to invert the values seasonally, e.g. Jan <--> July.

And take them with a grain of salt.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 8:17 pm

Awesome post Orion !

I think it's ok to assume it was at least -8, which gives me an idea that my heavy sleeping bag will handle nearly anything in Tassie.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:39 am

2 degrees C per 1000' is the average I use at work, but I'm guessing most on bw.com no longer use feet!

Can be as high as 3 degrees C per 1000' in completely dry air.

As stated above, can actually be a reverse gradient in the event of a temperature inversion (such as early morning) but this is unlikely to be noticeable for a hiker who resides in the boundary layer air close to the Earth's surface.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Orion » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 11:35 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:2 degrees C per 1000' is the average I use at work, but I'm guessing most on bw.com no longer use feet!

That's the same as 6.5°C/km... which is usually wrong in the mountains.

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:As stated above, can actually be a reverse gradient in the event of a temperature inversion (such as early morning) but this is unlikely to be noticeable for a hiker who resides in the boundary layer air close to the Earth's surface.

I disagree. I think it's not at all uncommon for cold air to sink into the valleys at night rendering the surrounding higher terrain warmer. I experience that here (in California) frequently.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 2:33 pm

Falls Creek is a classical example of the summit being warmer than nearby valleys [ eg Pretty Valley in the Valley itself]
It's why mountain villages in Europe are often about a third of the way up a slope to avoid that pool of cold air
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:23 pm

2 degrees/1000' is the average lapse rate in the troposphere, just because it is routinely different doesn't mean this figure is wrong - that's what an average is. If you look at the average earth surface temperature, the temperature of the isothermal layer at the tropopause, it equates to an average of 2 degrees per thousand feet. As I stated, it can vary depending on the moisture content of the air, and lots of other factors too such as season.

A temperature inversion does not require mountainous terrain, but it does help strengthen it if the cold air can be trapped. Camping in a valley with mountains on all or most sides will be a very different experience to at the bottom of a mountain where air is not trapped due subsidence. In this case, katabatic winds are likely to be more of a problem during night before sunrise.

To the OP:
Id recommend some reading on atmospheric stability, and perhaps invest in a cheap barometer for your walking. A large stationary high will lead to light prevailing winds, and stronger temperature inversions (similar to the conditions required for fog). I'd plan to camp a bit higher in conditions such as this. Low pressures cause atmospheric instability which will prohibit strong inversions, and also promote precipitation - so I'd be camping lower down.

Temp lapse theory is all well and good, but as Wayno said, from a safety and comfort point of view, probably a more important consideration is wind when at higher altitudes.
Last edited by South_Aussie_Hiker on Wed 08 Jun, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby Orion » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 10:09 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:2 degrees/1000' is the average lapse rate in the troposphere, just because it is routinely different doesn't mean this figure is wrong - that's what an average is.

I know what an average is. And right now the current temperature where I am is NOT equal to the average for the earth or the solar system or the universe. It's a different value, the answer to a different question.

In the context of the lapse rate, if you use the average tropospheric lapse rate to estimate a temperature at some elevation up slope from where you are you will often get the wrong answer.

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Id recommend some reading on atmospheric stability, and perhaps invest in a cheap barometer for your walking.

Thanks for the suggestion. My understanding of weather is very poor. Perhaps you can provide a short list for bedtime reading?

As for barometers -- I already own a number of them and do sometimes carry one or more. On 10 day walk last year I recorded over half a million barometric measurements.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 6:41 pm

Id recommend some reading on atmospheric stability, and perhaps invest in a cheap barometer for your walking.

Sorry if this wasn't clear, but this part of my post was directed at the OP.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby Orion » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 3:19 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Sorry if this wasn't clear, but this part of my post was directed at the OP.

Oops! Reading failure on my part.

I really could use a suggestion for a good book on weather though.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion