Walking with kids groups?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Walking with kids groups?

Postby bushFalcon » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 6:46 pm

Hi, are there family friendly walking / hiking groups we can join?
A good idea for single parents whose kids also like to get out there but want to walk in the safety of a group.
Based in Vic , but happy to hear about interstate groups also as we travel a bit (btw, is this a Tassie only forum, apologies am new to this site).
Thanks in advance
bushFalcon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Walking with kids groups?

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 9:42 pm

BushFalcon, welcome to the forum. The forum is mainly about Australian bushwalking, with related topics from anywhere. There's a magazine, Bushwalk Australia, on the right side towards the top, picture of grass. Select back issues and a row of 18 editions appears. Bottom row on the left is October 2015, a rather nice ridge in South Australia. That edition has part one of a series Walking with childen, with part two in December. May be of interest. For about a year BWA went around Austrlia, looking at each state and territory.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby newhue » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 6:53 am

bushfalcon, their very well could be, but as far as I know in Qld anyway not really. It has been tried many times with Brisbane's major club to get something up. Unfortunately due to numbers, un-pridictableness of kids colds and things, and all sorts of parent commitments they don't get far.
I just say get out there. Perhaps easy for me as I know a few spots, but if you are out circulating than you probably run the best chance of finding a family doing something. Most likely they too are looking for other families with the same interest. We came of a local peak on the weekend end and ran into a family of 4 kids going up. It's fair day out for kids and a higher level of experience and capability for the parents. They were our kind of adventurers.
Maybe go to a local gear shop, or club, offer to take someone for a coffee and tick off some specie but easy walks suitable for kids in a local guide. I strongly recommend specie walks, it has to have wow factor or you'l burn them. Great view, swim hole, caves, log crossing, rock water slide, rocks to crawl over or under, something besides just walking through the bush. They will find that good for a while but will bore quickly of plants and insects. Plenty of lollies to prop them up, and lots of fun is what you need to to get them wanting more.

good luck.

PS general rule is they can walk their age, and when broken in carry 1/4 of their weight. Well maybe their own water is a good goal to start with.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby sim1oz » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi bushFalcon, The VNPA's bushwalking and activities group (BWAG) usually has one or more family walks in each program.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion