Dogs in NP

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Dogs in NP

Postby skibug » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 3:19 pm

.... and of course, what hasn't been mentioned is the effect on the bi-pedal non-native life forms (ie innocent people) when someone has a large dog (or two), which looks like it's ripe for a fight with anyone that gets too close, or looks at it the wrong way. Sometimes the owner seems unaware, sometimes it's on a lead but does not look controllable, and sometimes I get the feeling the owner is enjoying the sense of power from making others feel threatened and in danger. I have for example, not camped at the formal Cox's River camp site on the Six Foot track because a guy had a number of pig-hunting dogs which looked like they were on both steroids and ice - pretty savage looking and untrustworthy, hounds of hell.

The level of fear and worry can be extremely high, especially if alone and without mobile phone reception, and the dog owners should have more consideration for others.
But when you're out there, all you can do is avoid confrontation and hope they are not looking for any trouble.

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 6:49 pm

I often take my dog on non-NP tracks and although he is the friendliest dog you are likely to meet he is also 34kg. Very intimidating for those who are unsure about dogs. I agree that dog owners ought to be empathetic towards those who do not want someone elses dogs in their lap or cannot understand friendly dog body language.
To someone fearful of dogs they are all pretty scary.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 8:35 pm

There's two topics here which can be split, dogs in national parks and photography in national parks.I've created a thread about the latter:
Taking pictures in public places
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24100
This is a wider remit than NPs, and includes state parks. I've found one link by a photographer who is a lawyer. Works for me.

Please put photography-related comments in this new thread. I'm going to see how the photography posts above look in the new thread and if they should be moved. Might leave them as is. Views on this would be valued.

Dogs are not allowed in national parks. Report breaches and maybe staff will target this.

Edit - had the wrong *** link!
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby peregrinator » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 10:58 pm

slparker wrote:I often take my dog on non-NP tracks and although he is the friendliest dog you are likely to meet he is also 34kg. Very intimidating for those who are unsure about dogs. I agree that dog owners ought to be empathetic towards those who do not want someone else's dogs in their lap or cannot understand friendly dog body language. To someone fearful of dogs they are all pretty scary.

You have succinctly identified a crucial element in all this. A dog can be simultaneously friendly and intimidating, depending on who is doing the interpreting. It’s a pity that most of the other contributors to this discussion seem totally unaware of this fact. It has been pointed out by a few that some fauna will be intimidated by the very presence of dogs, but what about reactions to dogs by humans? NNW’s apt comment on the ‘but my dog would never’ syndrome can certainly be extended to dog–human interactions. Owners need to discard the idea that ‘my dog is so special, quite unlike anyone else’s dog’. Could be difficult for those for whom a dog is an emotional crutch.

But slparker, you have expressed it very well: an empathetic attitude is what’s required. Clearly, if an owner is prepared to take a dog into an area signed as a dog-free zone, then it is difficult to imagine that person being capable of any serious empathy. Life is an empathy-free zone for them. As ange wrote in the original post: 'owners just stare through you with a duhhh kind of look.'

Of course, we might have to determine who is the true owner, as the dog may sometimes act as if it owns the person. And the person might be happy to play that game.

So the question is: how does a dog owner practically demonstrate empathy with a stranger who has no idea about how a dog may behave? This takes actions, not words.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby phil robinson » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 5:17 pm

There are huge numbers of wild dogs in the nps around us, domesticated pets are the least of my worries, Ive been bailed up a night running through the local park , wishing I had my dog with me. The npws are negligent in their lack of concerted effort in erradicating these dogs, Its only a matter of time till they take a child rather than my sheep.
phil robinson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion