Desktop version
Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Forum rules

The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Post a reply

Vector data sources for walking tracks

Sun 20 Nov, 2016 8:58 am

Hi all,
Does anyone know any good sources of vector data for walking tracks? I'm currently using OSM and QGIS to extract data but I find it does link tracks that may include roadwalking ir other breaks correctly. Even for the Great North Walk it breaks it up even though it is classed as a route.
Any links to already extracted data for AU and NZ would be appreciated.
Ta
Nathan

Re: Vector data sources for walking tracks

Mon 21 Nov, 2016 6:48 pm

In Tasmania they are in the road/transport layer - just google list open data

Mon 21 Nov, 2016 7:36 pm

Thank you. I guess I'm looking for something with all of the official national park walking tracks for all of Australia in a vector layer that is readily available.
I can see some states have some data but I'm looking for a definitive source. I'll keep looking at the open data site to see if I'm missing something.

Mon 21 Nov, 2016 8:28 pm

You are unlikely to get it from a single source (believe me, I worked in Parks Track Management in Tasmania for many years!) - each state will have different criteria for how they classify walking tracks (state classifications, AS2156, "tourist" classifications to name just a few. You are also unlikely to get "all tracks" especially if the state is using Australian Standard 2156 as within the standard is a suggestion to not advertise tracks of class 4 and Route (or pads) so they wont appear in any public layers......certainly not in Tasmania.

Sometime OSM has these until some diligent person removes them.

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 8:04 am

If anyone needs it - the NSW NWPS Asset datasource is here with tracks as shapefiles. There are gaps in the trails, however, which I assume is due to ownership
http://data.environment.nsw.gov.au/data ... 91a0f4a731

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 7:53 pm

solohiker wrote:Hi all,
Does anyone know any good sources of vector data for walking tracks? I'm currently using OSM and QGIS to extract data but I find it does link tracks that may include roadwalking ir other breaks correctly. Even for the Great North Walk it breaks it up even though it is classed as a route.
Any links to already extracted data for AU and NZ would be appreciated.
Ta
Nathan

Hi Nathan
Try this website where people upload walking tracks as GPX files:
https://www.trailhiking.com.au
In Victoria if you go to the Data.vic.gov.au site , walking tracks are in the 'TR_Roads' transport layer
cheers
Steve
Post a reply