Getting back to carrying backpack after collar bone surgery

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Getting back to carrying backpack after collar bone surgery

Postby pandabear » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi guys,
Do you guys have the unfortunate luck to have injured your collar bone and how long before you can put on a back pack again (~15kg)?
I had an off on my solo round the oz trip on my motorbike on the 5/10/16,fractured my collar bone and fractured most of my ribs on the left, punctured lung and some internal injuries.
I'm largely ok now. Still a bit sore. They put a metal plate in to hold the collar bone together about 4 weeks ago.

I'm hoping to do a 2 weeks hike around Xmas (around 300-500km).

I'm a long distance hiker in my previous life.

Thoughts?

3.jpg
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
Cape to Cape End-to-Ender (135km) - Oct 2013
Bibbulmun Track End-to-Ender (1000km) - Dec 2013
pandabear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bibbulmun Track Foundation Member
Region: Western Australia

Re: Getting back to carrying backpack after collar bone surg

Postby andrewa » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 1:59 pm

Erk. That big plate and screws should hold your collar bone together(!), but it takes 6-8 weeks for the bone to unite around the fracture site, and you may find the most uncomfortable thing is the plate itself. After the bone heals, its just a case of dealing with the discomfort, and I presume that this will depend on how your pack harness sits on you, or whether it can be altered to sit up a bit off your collar bone.

Nasty injury BTW.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 4:52 pm

Nasty injury but glad you are pulling through. Given it's only just 5-6 weeks post injury and 4 weeks after your plate, what I'd be more concerned about is your breathing and the long trek. For most if not all, the pain associated with rib fracture will linger for a good while. The near flailed chest you encountered will likely keep you in check for a while yet. So unless you are completely clear from 'breathing pain' at this early stage, I'd suggest you take it into consideration too. As for carrying a pack and as Andrew suggested, see if you can take the weight off your shoulders. In any case, a properly adjusted harness should not have much weight over your shoulders. Let your hip take the weight.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tasadam » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 5:00 pm

I had a busted collar bone once, also a plate of metal and 6 screws. A long time ago. Not that I can remember carrying a pack with the plate in there, after a couple of years (I think) I had it removed.
I remember when I did go walking again I used a large (thick) piece of standard mattress foam under the strap, and of course loosened that strap a whisker to compensate for the added thickness.
Good luck with the recovery. Ease into it before you go to test things out, and have an exit strategy if after a period you cannot continue for the whole duration.
I've never carried a pack as light as 15KG.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 9:17 pm

Incredible story. Glad you're getting through your recovery. I've never broken my collar bone, but I imagine getting back into physical activity such as the trip you have planned will take some hardcore planning and easing yourself back into it. Don't over do it!
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:48 am

Never broken it, but dislocated the ASC joint way back when and it still gives me trouble.

Have, however, had screws in elsewhere and you are going to find the pressure of a pack strap over that plate and the screw heads very uncomfortable, even with the harness properly adjusted to put the weight on your hips, and with extra padding.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Bushwalking Discussion