Desktop version
Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Forum rules

The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Post a reply

Dry molasses

Mon 05 Dec, 2016 6:25 am

I've recently returned from doing the routeburn track in nz. One of our party had a great idea for trail mix: muesli bars, lollies and dried molasses cut up. Great as it cut down on wrappers to dispose of. The molasses was awesome and I'm trying to find here but can only see liquid molasses for cooking or links to farming supplies for livestock. Anyone sourced this before?

Re: Dry molasses

Mon 05 Dec, 2016 5:50 pm

I think a good alternative would be a batch of molasses biscuits or maybe a molasses or treacle cake cut in bite sized pieces - add a bit of cinnamon and ginger. You can also make toffees with these ingredients.
https://www.reference.com/web?q=Chewy+M ... 0606&l=dir
My mouth is watering at the thought of these recipes that were common in our parents/grandparents time.

Thu 08 Dec, 2016 4:40 pm

I've never heard of dry molasses but I have made treacle toffee which is yummy but very chewy
Perhaps you could mix dark brown sugar and treacle together warm then dehydrate it>?
Most molasses here goes straight to farm feed or to Bundy I believe to ferment then distill for Bundy Rum

Dry molasses

Thu 08 Dec, 2016 7:00 pm

It's commonly used commercially - dry molasses is much easier to combine with other dry ingredients.

It may take some chasing but you should be able to source from health/organic food shops.

May be labeled as powdered or granulated blackstrap molasses.

Thu 08 Dec, 2016 8:37 pm

Sounds like black sugar

Fri 09 Dec, 2016 6:52 am

I caught up with my nz friend recently and he's going to send me details of where he got it from. Looks like burnt tar but tastes amazing and apparently is quite beneficial nutritionally. Will advise once i have details...

Fri 09 Dec, 2016 7:35 am

Black tar is certainly what black sugar looks like, a few steps darker than the readily available dark brown sugar, it is sort of like hard treacle

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 4:43 pm

I know for sure the Essential Ingredients in Prahran stocks dry molasses. I am a chef, I used to get dry molasses from that shop. Not expensive at all. Enjoy.

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 4:57 pm

Isn't dried molasses just sugar?

Or do you mean the stuff americans use as fertiliser?

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 5:12 pm

Well the yanks have 3 grades of molasses I think, one of them is what we call treacle. I've used black sugar all my working life as a cook and up until recently had never heard of dried molasses, I am very sure they are the same product. Black sugar is sharp and slightly bitter, more so than normal dark brown sugar
Every supermarket in Australia used to stock it at Christamas time as it was/is an essential ingredient in traditional Christamas cake and pudding

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 5:15 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Well the yanks have 3 grades of molasses I think, one of them is what we call treacle. I've used black sugar all my working life as a cook and up until recently had never heard of dried molasses, I am very sure they are the same product. Black sugar is sharp and slightly bitter, more so than normal dark brown sugar
Every supermarket in Australia used to stock it at Christamas time as it was/is an essential ingredient in traditional Christamas cake and pudding

LOL, looks like hashish in the pictures I googled!

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 5:16 pm

Yumm And soon to be legal again

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 5:34 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Black sugar is sharp and slightly bitter...

That would be fair description of the taste of blackstrap molasses if you read the descriptions on the internet.

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks fat doggie. Will give it s try. MD: i believe molasses is what's left after sugar is taken out of the sugar cane mulch. All the nutrients left over, which is why it's good for cattle....

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 5:16 pm

That also describes treacle

Mon 12 Dec, 2016 5:24 pm

I have dry molasses at home. My brother got it from Giganis brothers in Adelaide.

Sun 08 Jan, 2017 1:32 pm

Friend finally sent some shots. Am going to see if i can order some....

Looks to be a toffee mix rather than straight molasses like i thought.
Attachments
received_10154866213608454.jpeg
received_10154866213613454.jpeg

Sun 08 Jan, 2017 8:17 pm

That looks delicious, and would be pretty easy to make for a lot less than $8.50 for 105g!

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cocoa-m ... fees-38614
Post a reply