Are walkers becoming too reliant on huts?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Are walkers becoming too reliant on huts?

Postby Xplora » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 5:08 am

Huts are important in the mountains but are we becoming too reliant on them? They are supposed to be a source of refuge but now I see them used as free accommodation for those who do not feel like pitching a tent even when the weather is good. Walks are now organised hut to hut. I have seen people deliberately turn up to a hut without a tent. More specifically I am referring to summer walking. Winter is a different ball game and huts are a good place to cook a meal in comfort but in good weather why not stay outside? I have to admit it is a long night in the tent once the sun goes at 4pm in winter. Are we getting soft and forgetting the pleasures of a tent at a beautiful spot? I am having a go at myself as well and have been reflecting on this of late. I am not saying we should not avail ourselves of these facilities completely but the hut code seems to have been forgotten. Huts also require maintenance and when more people are using them they will require more work. This will be evident if people are forced to camp elsewhere because of the Falls to Hotham walk. Ryders, Westons and Blairs will all receive extra attention. Do those using the huts ever consider the amount of work that goes into to keeping them in good order? Just some thoughts and maybe it will get others thinking as well.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Are walkers becoming too reliant on huts?

Postby GBW » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 5:19 am

They're interesting to visit and I enjoy reading the log books but I'm more comfortable sleeping in my tent than on the floorboards.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 7:28 am

Even some school teachers don't seem to try very hard to encourage kids to use their tents on The Overland Track any more.
I get the feeling they don't want to be seen as uncool these days, in making this compulsory or even a request.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby weeds » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 8:45 am

I think there are a range of people doing the walks for a range of reasons.........if they build them people will use them.

On our recent OLT trip the huts were very popular....there was one group of three that would race the next hut, claim their spot, and spread all the gear around the heater. Wife and I discussed if they were even carrying a tent. I would say it nearly the majority that sleep in the hut is there is space and only set up a tent if they cannot get a bunk. A couple walked into the next hut to save putting up there tent.

I had aim to tent it every night but did sleep in Pelion one night....first and last time. We stayed at Pelion two night, the first night it snowed and we were the only one tenting it, there were 55 people sleeping in the hut, the second night there were only about 20 so I thought I would experience sleeping in a hut.

Each to there own.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 9:19 am

I haven't seen a hut in Victoria that I would prefer over my tent in survivable weather. I must say that the long drops associated with the huts are handy. :roll:
We had a family trip to the Bogong region last Easter. I took the clan out to PV for a look around. Half the population of Victoria was camped there.
The PV hut was what I would call externally commandeered by someone with a bunch of tables with stoves etc. set up under the small verandah. At least they hadn't taken over the inside as well.
As you say Xplora they are refuge huts not free accommodation. With the number of people out and about these days it is foolhardy to rely on a hut as accommodation anyway.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 1:03 pm

I could not imagine sharing a hut with 20 people let alone 55. A few years back we were at Mac Springs in bad weather and one person had taken over the entire mezzanine. We put up our tent and there were 4 others squashed into the lower part of the hut. Cleve Cole is not a bad hut but even last winter we were out in the tent. We find them warmer anyway. I do tend look to huts as a destination in winter but it is not always possible. Have pitched in blizzard outside outside Derrick and Fed huts when they were empty but used the hut for cooking. We are fully prepared regardless. I have seen 4wd campers take over Bluff hut and heard of hunters taking over Gantner (on this forum) but it really gets me when bushwalkers do the same.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ange » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 3:06 pm

Saw this and thought is interesting as during a conversation the other evening I mentioned that a friend and I were doing the OLT in a few months. After talking tents, was told we wouldn't need tents bc of the huts :-/ Thought it a strange suggestion at the time.
"The only journey is the one within." Rainer Maria Rilke
ange
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby simonm » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 5:43 pm

I sleep under a solid roof for way too many nights of the year so I avoid huts at all cost, but the majority of people on the OLT do seem to prefer huts.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 6:31 pm

On the OLT and most walks, I pitch my tent.

When walking trails overnight or longer, I have slept in one hut in NZ, one hut in Scotland, and two huts in Tassie (not on the OLT)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 7:35 pm

About the only hut I always use if I'm overnighting nearby is the High Camp hut at the base of the Mt Eliza scramble. Anywhere else, Tassie or mainland, I've always preferred the tent, although there are times when I've borrowed a corner of a hut through sheer laziness.
But going out without the tent? No way.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Xplora » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 5:21 am

Apart from sleeping in them, the other thing I have been struggling with personally is this dependence on huts as a walking destination in summer. They get you out of the weather and mostly away from the flies but when I reflect on some of our best nights, they are no where near a hut. Of course they are good if the weather turns bad and that is their purpose but it seems they are now the security blanket even when the weather if perfect. I am questioning why I would go to Cleve Cole instead of staying at Camp Valley. Wildhorse creek instead of Fitzgeralds hut. Drop toilets are good in winter but they are dirty things. It is good to know of so many who will pitch a tent regardless but my experience tells me there are so many more who do not. For those using the Victorian huts regularly perhaps a small donation to the Victorian Huts society to help ease the conscience. I am not aware of how the huts are maintained elsewhere but I am sure they could do with a helping hand as well. I suppose what I am asking people to think about is whether their walks in the higher country is centered around the huts and if so do they need to be? I am also not saying it is wrong to do that, just respect the hut code and educate others about it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ErichFromm » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 5:56 am

Did lickhole track (howqua river) a few years ago and upon getting to upper Jamieson hut found it occupied by hunters. Very clear it was 'theirs' - had 4wds pulled right up front, equipment all around etc looked like they'd been there for weeks. If I'd not brought a tent I'd have had issues
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 6:29 am

Xplora wrote:For those using the Victorian huts regularly perhaps a small donation to the Victorian Huts society to help ease the conscience. I am not aware of how the huts are maintained elsewhere but I am sure they could do with a helping hand as well.

Between Tharwa and Thredbo we visited 24 huts and a couple of historic homesteads and all were kept clean and in good order which showed people had respect for them. The Kosciuszko Huts Association maintained most and provided hand saw, broom etc, a book or two, bucket and some pots and pans for cooking. Most were inaccessible by car which may make a difference. We only saw people in two huts using them to sleep and they were a little surprised when we set the tent up instead of sleeping in the hut. I did use the chair and have a meal on the table. They do a great job maintaining them but I'm not sure if they rely on donations or get some government support for the good work they do.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 8:13 am

Having just completed a 7 day bushwalk through the Buller Howitt area for the purpose of seeing plenty of huts, I'd say they get a mix of reliance.

We stayed one night in a Hut due to thunderstorms and flooded ground near Lovick's Hut.
This was for shear shelter due to my mates tent having a hole and we were already soaked upon arriving at the hut.
This kind of utilisation of the huts is what I see as appropriate.
Two 4WD's came by, and rolled out their mega swags under the veranda cover.

At Vellejo Ganter Hut, their were plenty of groups but none had taken the Hut. This meant the Hut was open to an AAWT Walker who was drenched and needed to dry some gear, an appropriate use of a Hut given his circumstance (also waddled into camp quite late).

My experience with huts thus far is that walkers tent to respect, use and appreciate the huts.
I do not think the same can be said about Horsemen. To me, it seems like they think they're entitled to the huts.

So are walkers becoming too reliant on the huts of the high country?

My experience in VIC tells me no
My experience in NSW tells me kind of

Walkers have the ability to pitch tents in the most wonderous of places, not limited by roads, we have arguably the most freedom in the bush. So if walkers are becoming too reliant on huts, particularly those with 4WD acesss, then they need to start thinking outside the box....the box that is a Hut.

I do however stand by pitching next to huts in snow for sheltered cooking and in the event of extremly hazardous conditions.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby neilmny » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 8:57 am

Rlgm12 wrote:...........Walkers have the ability to pitch tents in the most wonderous of places, not limited by roads, we have arguably the most freedom in the bush. .......

Great comment that one :)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 5:00 am

Good to hear others are seeing respect of the huts from walkers. It has not been my experience but that is a good reason to put it out there for others to find out if it is a general trend. Still lots of walks organised to hut areas and the camp areas around huts are often very busy while other wonderful places are passed by. Maybe Neil has hit the mark and the lure to a camp area is the toilet and not the hut.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby TerraMer » Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:06 pm

It is great to hear others respecting the huts and mention of the associations who maintain them.
I walk alone and when doing a fast light section I hut hop when convenient.
Arriving before sunset I wait for others to arrive. If they are planning to use it I will set up my little tarp outside. If they are camping I ask if they mind me using the hut before I unpack. If nobody arrives by dark I make myself comfortable. It is part lazy and part easy for an early start to cover more ground without packing away wet gear.
There will always be more wood when I leave than when I arrive because I don't light fires but collect a bit of small stuff in case the next hut user needs warmth.
The floor will also be cleaner when I leave, no existing emergency rations used or none of mine left behind and any small rubbish I spot is carried out even if I'm travelling light and fast.
I've even left half my pencil in a log book for the next visitors because there was nothing besides charcoal in the hut to write with.
Hut etiquette is just good old fashioned courtesy, something a few generations have failed to teach their children. (I'm childless, thank the gods, so my opinion is just an observation)
If I use a hut during a walk I make a donation to the appropriate hut association because they do a damn fine job.
thehappywalkblog.wordpress.com
Solo unaccompanied walk around Australia
Sponsored by The Australian Geographic Society
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Happy Walk
Region: Australia

Postby jdeks » Sun 22 Jan, 2017 7:14 pm

Rlgm12 wrote:My experience with huts thus far is that walkers tent to respect, use and appreciate the huts.
I do not think the same can be said about Horsemen. To me, it seems like they think they're entitled to the huts.

Just to clarify - a lot of those 'Horsemen' come from families who are the historical owners - and maintainers - of those huts. I was up in Lovicks hut 5 days ago with one of said horsemen who helped build the current hut, talking about how to repair the fire damage people have done to the cross-member over the hearth from being lazy and not setting their fire far enough back. Even so - these folks are the first to encourage people - hikers, hunters, 4wd-ers and horse-riders - to be a part of the heritage and use them as much as they like. Just do so respectfully.

3 years ago, I had a group of 3 bushwalkers refuse to allow our party of 3 motorcyclists to use Bluff hut. We had an injured rider, it was raining and approaching freezing. They were of the opinion that because they got their first and it was a 'hikers' hut, they had 'booked it' (their exact words). We rode over the ride to lovicks and shared it with a couple in a 4wd who shared their lamb roast. Yes, we all had tents. Yes - we all wanted a fire and a roof. Yes, we all cleaned and gathered our own wood. People label 4WD-ers and horseriders and so on as entitled and lazy, but there's an alarming number of bushwalkers who seem to think their mode of transport gives them the right to the moral high-ground.

I use huts all the time. I've hid from packs of dogs in them, I've shared them with steady streams of ill-prepared hikers caught out by bad weather (*cough* Feathertop *cough*). Some of my best hiking nights have been spent in them. I don't rely on them, I share them with whoever else can fit inside and leave them cleaner and with more wood than I found them (not hard, usually). I think they are a brilliant community asset that should be supported and patronized . I dont get this judgmental purist attitude some people have , as if they're made of glass, to be locked away by rules and regulation. Use it or lose it - the more people appreciate having them, the more support their maintainers recieve.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Xplora » Mon 23 Jan, 2017 6:35 am

You have made some interesting observations and some valid points:

jdeks wrote:Just to clarify - a lot of those 'Horsemen' come from families who are the historical owners - and maintainers - of those huts.

Many more come from other stock and the number from historical families is fewer than you would suggest but nonetheless these family still use and care for the huts. I know Charlie Lovick. Nice bloke. It was he who invited me into the hut that burnt down and I stayed for a cuppa.
jdeks wrote:Just do so respectfully.

I like your words respectfully and that includes respect for all others who need it.

jdeks wrote:3 years ago, I had a group of 3 bushwalkers refuse to allow our party of 3 motorcyclists to use Bluff hut. We had an injured rider, it was raining and approaching freezing. They were of the opinion that because they got their first and it was a 'hikers' hut, they had 'booked it' (their exact words). We rode over the ride to lovicks and shared it with a couple in a 4wd who shared their lamb roast. Yes, we all had tents. Yes - we all wanted a fire and a roof. Yes, we all cleaned and gathered our own wood. People label 4WD-ers and horseriders and so on as entitled and lazy, but there's an alarming number of bushwalkers who seem to think their mode of transport gives them the right to the moral high-ground.

I do agree with this and also have witnessed this attitude from walkers and in fact all types of users. Lovicks, Bluff and Jamieson huts are all on regular 4wd tracks and I tend not to visit them when walking. Go to another forum, be it ski, 4wd, hunting, fishing or horse and you will find the moral high ground just as healthy as they feel they are entitled more than any other group. It is a matter of perspective. Some people are one dimensional and very judgmental on appearance. I am sure some people on this forum would see my 4wd and call me a bogan without bothering to say hello. We all know those who 4wd would not walk further than the dunny. I ride my horse and people think that is all I am. Put people together who are bushwalking and listen to the conversation. You would think nothing else happens in their life apart from what has drawn them together. The same goes for all other groups.

jdeks wrote:I use huts all the time. I've hid from packs of dogs in them, I've shared them with steady streams of ill-prepared hikers caught out by bad weather (*cough* Feathertop *cough*).

Witnessed this as well at Fed hut one winter but we always pitch a tent there summer or winter. It is part of what went through my mind when I began this thread.

jdeks wrote:Some of my best hiking nights have been spent in them. I don't rely on them, I share them with whoever else can fit inside and leave them cleaner and with more wood than I found them (not hard, usually). I think they are a brilliant community asset that should be supported and patronized . I dont get this judgmental purist attitude some people have , as if they're made of glass, to be locked away by rules and regulation. Use it or lose it - the more people appreciate having them, the more support their maintainers recieve.

They are a brilliant asset but need to be kept that way and that takes time and money. Very little support comes from the government. My personal feeling is that I have been tending to the reliance of a hut near camp at the end of the day when walking the High Country. We are always self sufficient and have occasionally slept inside but my recollection of best nights are not at a hut site. At what point you call yourself reliant on the huts is a matter for personal reflection and given the nature of humans, others will judge you according to their own standards. Huts seem to be a magnet for all types of users so it you want a quiet camp then it is better to avoid them. I don't think anyone has suggested here these huts should be locked away by rules or regulations. Just common sense and courtesy is needed.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion