Babies overnighting in the bush

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Babies overnighting in the bush

Postby Hisham » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 9:38 am

Hey... any experience taking out babies hiking in the bush, sleeping in a tent?

I'm obviously thinking there are limitations but to what degree? Anyone taken a 3month old or a three years old out, or any age in between?

What are your experiences?

Recommend any good trails?
Hisham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Babies overnighting in the bush

Postby neilmny » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:00 am

A little bit about it here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22387
Some more - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21365
and here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20937

search is your friend :)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby 3flp » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 3:15 pm

I've taken my son camping to the Gampians, from age 2 onwards. He loves it although it's a bit taking on our (parents) energy ;-).
3flp
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 1:18 pm

Hisham, have you seen our magazine, Bushwalk Australia? Look at the right side of the home screen towards the top, a cover of a shredded walker. There's a two part article Walking with children that may assist. Find back copies, October 2015 (cover of a winding ridge) and December 2015 (a cliff with a Christmas hat).
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby nezumi » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 7:25 pm

Hah - I was just thinking about this. I have a 10 month old explorer, and I wouldn't mind taking him out on a walk.
Part of me would really love a good hiking baby carrier (like this), but I baulk at the cost.
I'm also more of an adventure cyclist than a hiker at the moment, although that is liable to change too.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 8:55 pm

Check out Gumtree there are heaps!! of baby carriers including that model. Must be like prams, you need them for a while and then you don't.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby taswegian » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 4:27 pm

We took our young to very young crew out tenting out back Queensland many moons ago, staying in out of the way places.
Walking wasn't an issue but we did have a couple of baby carriers which were (are indispensable).

Something to be aware of is those bitey things that make life miserable for anyone yet alone toddlers.

If it's a full family affair then dads need to be aware of the acuteness of a mother's concerns that arise in circumstances once beyond the safety of home comforts. Might sound insignificant but mothers are mothers and we blokes have a role there to see their needs and concerns are fulfilled or met.
This obviously is always the case, but my experience has been to be more aware when out in the sticks.

Regards taking younger ones able to walk into the wilds, my first excursion was met with youngest daughter wanting her mummy when tucking her up for the night. She was back home.
Somehow dad's comfort wasn't the same but we survived the excursion.
It can be a bit off putting for Dad yet alone the lonely one in their moment of need.

I hadn't considered that before leaving so was a little unprepared.

Favorite teddy, rag doll or piece of cloth is a must to take when venturing out.

Food can be an interesting exercise. From being accustomed to living rough and eating strange (to them) tucker when bush, I did have to seriously consider their rations once we started walking into the scrub from an early age.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Taurë-rana » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 7:16 pm

Our second went car camping at 3 weeks old, the eldest went through the Simpson Desert at about 21 months. The little one slept in his 3 in 1 stroller in the tent, and later he had a sort of material foam bassinet type thing. When they were bigger the eldest slept with me but the youngest went into a Carry Cot. This was a bigger tent though, so bushwalking would be different. I had sleeping bags with sleeves for them so they didn't roll out of the covers. Staying warm was definitely a concern - I remember one night at Zeehan with a 12 month old worrying all night about whether he was warm enough, but he was fine. We went to the Scout Hut at Cradle with one at 6 months and the other about 4. The best advice for that and camping in children in general was to go with friends who had no children! It does make it a lot easier.

One issue we had with them both once they could walk at times was not wanting to be carried, but not being big enough to walk a reasonable distance.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 7:06 pm

Here is an osprey poco for $150 in Melbourne

Osprey poco plus child carrier,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mooroolb ... pp_android
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kainas » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 2:23 pm

3yo is old enough not to be a problem. We managed a 60km multi-day hike with our 3yo (who walked the entire way).

Can read here: http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0&p=280626
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby newhue » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 6:29 am

10 years ago when we were fit and did a lot of walking, we had a rush of blood and did Hinchinbrook Island with our 6 month old. I carried our daughter in a baby bjorn chest harness. I made a special no see-um mesh teepee that hung from a tree incase the sand flies were insane for play time. We took biodegradable nappies but didn't burry them, and she slept a little cocoon zip up carry bag thing we picked up at Aldi, bit like a large padded shoe box that zipped up. Mum breast fed and we plodded along. We had post card weather, as good as it gets Nth Qld winter temperatures, and to be honest it was a lot of hard work for little gain. Always stopping for something, dropping the packs fiddling with something. She seemed to get more sun than we wanted though she was covered top to tail, and after a week the sand flies get their way eventually.

Couple weeks ago we have just done it again on the back of cyclone Debbie, and if we had the rain back then like we just had then walking with a baby would have been a very different and disastrous story. Instead the 10yo and her 7yo brother had "another" time of their lives. Walking all day in the rain, crossing good flowing creeks, crossing flooding swamps and swimming in the back ends of estuaries or under water falls. Bagging Nina peak meant something this time, collecting shells, playing in the giant trees that hang over the beach, eating dehydrated food and carrying their own little back back was all good for them. The sand flies still had their way, but that's just how it is. And rather this time, with a little age on them it was awesome for all.

So back then after that walk took up car camping, or staying in cabins like Waldheim in Tasmania. Tents are bigger, can have a fridges, better lighting, more clothes, port cots, and so on, its just much much easier on you and to do day walks. A simple track walk for a swim in a shaded creek, or trying to chase wombats along the wooden decking through button grass its all a lot easier. The volume of nappies does not get out of hand, and we just stuck with the simple change mat on the ground anywhere, anytime approach. You don't have to focus so much on weather, but a brolly can save the day easily. We did Kosciuszko with a brolly, not for the rain, but the sun. The shade hood thing on a child carrying back pack is often wanting.

Its definitely easier the more chilled you are with what they are chewing on, or what they are getting up to in their surrounds. If your a hygiene natzi, or safety freak then the outdoors are going be stressful and challenging place for you. Not saying they should chew on wombat poo, or climb over a logs, but its not the end of the world if they do. We found its pretty much the same for them as it is for you but add a layer. Always having on hand warm clothes if its cold or could threaten, light full covering clothes if its sunny. Food, water, a plastic ground sheet to sit on, and away you. Your imagination or freedom to explore is all yours. Don't forget sting go's and panadol and just get out there and do it. None of it is easy, but its not also that hard. Its the ground work for the future you are working on, and our kids have proven a few times now nothing is going to stop our outdoor adventures. Your the leader, just always make it fun and have wow factor.

Emma 1.jpeg

Emma2.jpeg

Emma3.jpeg
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Bushwalking Discussion