Log book entries

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Log book entries

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 5:44 pm

This thread is for interesting, informative or amusing log book entries.

Over Christmas I was on a walk that took in two huts. There were some interesting log book entries. Cascade Hut, south of Dead Horse Gap had an entry in November 2014 about Thomas Janeck of the Czech Republic, northbound on the AAWT. He went Bulley Creek, Pilot, Cascade Hut in one day, 47 kilometres. A week later Leo was also northbound AAWT and was on ... day 13. Cascade Hut is 438 kilometres from Walhalla. Compared to Thomas, his was a short day, from Cowombat Flat. In 2013 and 2014 there were entries from people I was walking with 40 years ago. They were older than me then, and probably still are.

There was also a rather plaintive and large entry to the effect that the writer had lost his Mum. How could this be? A later entry clarified matters. The writer was in front and did not stop at the turnoff for the 100 metres to the hut. Mum kept on walking. Oops.

After a rather boring walk to Tin Mine Huts I saw an entry about people who camped on the Cascade Trail. They were nearly trampled by feral horses, who naturally used the trail to get from A to B.

On another trip I saw an entry at Oldfields Hut, 60 kilometres from the Tharwa start of the AAWT. One southbound person said that he or she hoped that there were not too many more climbs.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Log book entries

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 6:00 pm

Bluff Hut

Entries: Late 2016 to early 2017

All of them complaining about the flies. I found it funny due to the massive amounts of horse poop outside of the pen. I imagined many of the entries were made by 4WD's and Horsemen.

This is a good thread idea.

I also found an entry at a Hut which name I can't recall, I think the person was caught inside the Hut by thunderstorms and had gone a bit delirious. The entry went on about the constant tapping of rain on the roof and how romantic(?) it was.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Neo » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 6:06 pm

Yep thanks Lophophaps ive subscribed. Speaking of flies i found in central Australia they were relentless, yet came with the sunrise and left just before sunset.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 7:03 pm

Pine Valley Hut, maybe 2001 or thereabouts. Dated mid-May. A general gush about the OT and the incredible helpfulness of a ranger who had fashioned rain ponchos for a group of walkers who hadn't brought any waterproofs as "...we didn't realise we'd need them."
My mind still boggles at the lack of nous that comment requires.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 7:49 pm

This is off topic but follows from the above post. Cynthia Bay, just come off the Central Plateau and the southern OLT. A party was about to go north, perhaps to Pine Valley. They had sleeping bags lashed on the outside of very basic packs and believed the brochures - sunshine every day. I persuaded them to let me have a go at repacking, and with some effort everything was inside the packs. Of course with a solid downpour they are in dire difficulty of the wet kind, but it's a start. The day was so hot and sunny, typical Tassie high country weather.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 7:54 am

This was an interesting entry I found in the Pretty Valley Hut log book

Moondogs PV.jpg
Moondogs PV.jpg (127.21 KiB) Viewed 17053 times
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby awildland » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 4:57 pm

Great thread to start. One of my favourite things is reading logbooks and copying down funny stories. I've got a few photos too I will add when I track them down.

This quote though was from the inside cover of the log book in Selby Alley hut in Barrington Tops National Park.

Someone has written: “Where do the old log books go?” And, someone has replied: “They are made into paper boats that float down the river and inspire people downstream to go adventuring and into paper planes that fly into cities and land on busy streets where only the most observant and open minded discover them amongst the litter and decide to leave their lives and take to the bush!”
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby awildland » Thu 19 Jan, 2017 5:58 am

IMG_3543 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_3543 - Version 2.jpg (57.47 KiB) Viewed 16978 times

sorry edges are cut off but you get the gist...
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taswegian » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:08 pm

An entry in one of the huts behind Waldheim stands out still in my mind.
Not from its contents but what, to me, it meant.
A bloke gave a short narrative of his and his wife's journeys from the Walls, through the Never Never and on into the reserve and northwards.
Having only ever done one walk and tented with my wife I was a bit (rather) envious of this couple sharing the great outdoors on what would have been a fantastic walk.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby awildland » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 8:41 pm

Logbook on the Summit of Mt Giles:

"Why do people have to say how long it took them? Anyhow got here in 24:32 from Little Big Rock in bare feet, blindfolded with packs full of rocks - only to find that Dave had left the prawn cocktail sauce in the car!!"

:D
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:20 am

On Agnew. Something with which we can probably all sympathise.
d19585c.jpg

Second visit to Rats Castle, went through the log whilst having lunch. Of the approximately 30 entries, I knew more than 20 names (not including from my own prior visit).
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Graham51 » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 7:09 pm

I've read lots of entries in log books in huts but my all-time favourite has stuck in my mind since about 1996. We arrived at the Lake Meston Hut at lunch time and spent some time reading the logs. One of them read:
"We've been fishing at the north end of the lake. Caught three fish, one two pounds, one one pound and one as big as Stewie's di.."
That gave us a good laugh before continuing on our walk.
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 5:42 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Second visit to Rats Castle, went through the log whilst having lunch. Of the approximately 30 entries, I knew more than 20 names (not including from my own prior visit).

How did I miss the logbook when I went up Rats Castle today?! :? Then again, it was blowing an icy gale and I was sheltering from it :wink: Had a good day though!
EDIT - It wouldn't happen to have been located in that piece of white downpipe at the trig point?
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 6:21 pm

L_Cham_67 wrote:EDIT - It wouldn't happen to have been located in that piece of white downpipe at the trig point?

Can you think of any other reason to have the pipe there? Or any other place to put the book?

Now go back and log in.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 6:52 pm

Haha I remember looking at it and thinking to myself: "why's that there", but I guess the logbook hadn't even crossed my mind...oh well :wink:
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 7:18 pm

Anyway, before I got distracted about Rats Castle, I came here to post this logbook entry a friend and I came across in the Lake Nichols Hut a few months ago
Attachments
logbook entry.JPG
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion