temperature threshold for walking

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

temperature threshold for walking

Postby wayno » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 6:53 pm

do you have temperature thresholds for walking,
ie once the temp goes above a certain temp you will stop walking or will avoid going on a walk? and does the threshold vary according to humidity?
i've never been in temps higher than 35 degrees with 90% humidity, i moderate the difficulty of walking if i'm getting up to that temp and keep the duration down to half a day in the morning, avoiding the higher temps for the bulk of the walk. i'm certainly not used to high temps so I avoid pushing the duration and difficulty.
most of the time the temps I'm in arent higher than the high twenties, with moderate to high humidity... and there's usually a bit of wind to help with cooling.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: temperature threshold for walking

Postby Rlgm12 » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 7:34 pm

I've been hiking on the flood flats along the Murray near Swan Hill.
It gets above 35 there. I just take it real easy, and it is easy due to it being level ground.
I actually think I've become better at dealing with hotter temps in general due to me doing hot weather walking.
People around me are like, it's sooo hot and I'm like, yeah it's a bit warm.
Anyway, id probably not walk above 40.
And that's assuming I'm prepared for heat.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby taipan821 » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:13 pm

I try to avoid walking in hot conditions

I've walked in 33 degrees after a thunderstorm through thick grass....would prefer to never do that again
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Rlgm12 » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 7:06 am

taipan821 wrote:I try to avoid walking in hot conditions

I've walked in 33 degrees after a thunderstorm through thick grass....would prefer to never do that again

Dayuuum.
Sounds great......
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby michael_p » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 9:46 am

For me it depends on the humidity.

Sydney and surrounds suffer from humidity and it can make walking unbearable even on moderate temperature days.

I walked a section of the Coastal Track on a 35C day, there was a stiff, dry breeze and it wasn't that bad. But I have also walked on days where the temp has been around the 30C mark but the humidity was very high (overcast all day). I found these conditions to be difficult for me and didn't enjoy the walk.

Mid 30's is around my general limit but humidity can play a bigger part than temp for me.

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Davidf61 » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 11:28 am

With me it's just a matter of what you are used to. My work is in an iron ore mine in the Pilbara. I can spend all day, outdoors, in the pit where it often gets to 50+. Now I obviously drink lots of water which I'm not carrying with me, and I get a break in the aircon for 1/2 an hour a few times a day, but it's still a long hot day. With work boots, long pants, long sleeves on shirts. Then it dumps rain on you, followed by blue sky 5 mins later and the humidity is off the scale.

Then I fly back down to Perth and sook because the temp is currently 18 and I'm *&%$#! cold......

And I've no idea what you guys see in SNOW. Dreadful stuff.
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Neo » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 3:05 pm

Im avoiding it at the moment and even avoiding work. Just tired of wearing wet shirts and undies.

I think its aclimatisation. When i go to Cairns or Bali it takes 2-3 weeks before I stop pouring. Avoidance is probably the best solution. Start early (note to self) or pick shady areas like rainforest or breezy headlands where its noticeably cooler.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 3:59 pm

Here in SA, low to mid 30's is ok, as long as we can walk in shade. In the sun on a hot day and we cook fast here.

Out in the open in full sun the temp really needs to be under 30C
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 9:07 am

It may be an option if you are doing short local walks. Most times when I've encountered hot weather there has been no choice but to continue.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby photohiker » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:10 am

RonK wrote:It may be an option if you are doing short local walks. Most times when I've encountered hot weather there has been no choice but to continue.

Good point Ron,

Especially with the weather weirdness we are seeing. Last few days was stinking hot, but today was cool!
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby madmacca » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 4:42 pm

After doing the 9 Mile Pinch out of the Snowy River (1000m gain in 5km) on a 38C day in full sun, I now have a heat policy. Seriously - while I had enough water, I just couldn't get rid of heat fast enough, and had to stop in whatever shade I could find every few hundred metres just to get rid of the excess heat.

I am prepared to walk in up to 35C if it is level, or if there is good shade. Provided I have enough water - or am confident I can obtain more.

In temps above 30, I will often tend to start not long after dawn, and rest up for a few hours from 12.30-3.30ish before completing the walk finishing around 7pm.
madmacca

Postby wayno » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 5:33 pm

your brain is the biggest limiting factor in the heat. wet your head, there are blood vessels that run from the scalp directly through the skull into your brain when you are hot. , specifically to cool it down, having a hat that lets some air through is a help..
your brain can only sustain a five degree increase in temperature above normal. the rest of your body can cop with up to a ten degree increase...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 6:47 pm

Neo wrote:I think its aclimatisation. When i go to Cairns or Bali it takes 2-3 weeks before I stop pouring.

Sure is the secret. Will always be not so fun when really hot but humans as a species are better adapted to sustained activity in hot weather than nearly any other mammal. Indeed there is some theories that our early breakthrough hunting method was to run down prey by causing them to overheat though sustained harassment. Our tall, thin, hairless bodies with lots of sweat glands is pretty unusual.

From the half reasonable science that does exist that I have been able to track down (generally done for military) aclimitisation seems to be the most important thing to being able to cope with hot weather. Avoid the aircon at night and be sure to exercise regularly in hot conditions. Interesting reading the articles on the Badman Ultramarathon - plenty of super educated medical types taking on this challenge and writing about how things work and what they do.

Three best tips for hot weather - all pretty obvious:

1. Don't get sunburnt. Seems obvious but even a little really knocks you about. I believe you are better (cooler) over the course of the day in a light overall covering than bare skin that gets a bit burnt.
2. Stay hydrated. Again, seems so obvious but plenty don't manage it.
3. Stay clean. Swim and wash up in every opportunity you get. I am convinced all the salt and grime on the skin impedes your evaporative cooling potential (osmotic resistance?).

Also know to stop from time to time. In really hot or hot/humid conditions especially it is just not possible to rehydrate as fast as you lose water. You need breaks (and keep drinking) to maintain equilibrium. Never push yourself straight into hot exertion, work up to it.
nq111

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 9:05 pm

In summer I attempt to start early, 5.20am to 6.30am. Camp is reached by noon-2pm, time for a bludge. Some days I can beat most of the heat that starts in the late morning to early afternoon, but other days it's just hot. Over about 30 degrees I'm uncomfortable and need a lot more water.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:32 pm

I don't mind cold as long as it isn't too windy.
Anything over 25 if it's really dry can give me problems. I like it humid. Give me a nice soggy 40 and I'm happy. A dry 30 has me struggling badly.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 7:45 am

Don't forget the our bodies change as we get older and the adaptation process can take longer.
35C used to be OK with me, now it's 25C and part of that is that I no longer work in hot sweaty kitchens which are great training for walking in hot weather
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 8:22 am

Moondog55 wrote:Don't forget the our bodies change as we get older and the adaptation process can take longer.
35C used to be OK with me, now it's 25C and part of that is that I no longer work in hot sweaty kitchens which are great training for walking in hot weather

my comfort level is heading towards air conditioning
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 8:33 am

There's an inverse too.
When it's cold my own threshold is more determined by wind that actual temperature but when it gets to -5C and below I'd prefer the wind to be below gale force
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 8:57 am

wayno wrote:my comfort level is heading towards air conditioning

LOL! Does a hole in a tent count as air con?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wayno » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 9:02 am

Lophophaps wrote:
wayno wrote:my comfort level is heading towards air conditioning

LOL! Does a hole in a tent count as air con?

absolutely

wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 10:24 am

Nice tent! I have a similar system. I've found that it's best to let the stove cool and for the fire to be out before the porters carry it to the next camp.

Camping stove.jpg
Camping stove.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 28279 times
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby dashandsaph » Tue 21 Feb, 2017 1:07 pm

I think about 15 degrees and a breeze is an ideal temperature. Over 30 without good shade is a recipe for unhappiness. I walked the AAWT from Tharwa to Falls Creek in mid November to mid December 2016 and there were some hot days. Usually were walking by 7am and finished by early afternoon, before it got to the hottest temperature, that way we could snooze in our tents through the hottest time of the day. I'm now a big fan of that strategy. Also, draping your sleeping bag over the tent to get rid of any accumulated sweat creates shade.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Tue 21 Feb, 2017 1:11 pm

i'm fine at 5 degrees....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sim1oz » Thu 23 Feb, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm happiest 10-25C. I am guessing the 10C, maybe it's lower, I've just never measured the temps when we go snowshoeing. Above 25, I am happiest when there is a breeze and occasional shade. Hotter than 33 and I'd rather sit in the shade and rest, or swim and then sit in the shade and rest. Too much humidity and I am a grouchy bear and there is no way I am walking. We tend to start walking early, like sunrise to 7am, on warm days so we can rest during the hottest part of the day. Depending on the weather and location, we might walk some more once it cools down before we set up camp.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby digbyg » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 3:49 pm

After 30 years living in the tropics, I get frost nip at temps below 15 C. Quite happy walking at anything below 40 C dry. High humidity makes walking sweaty and difficult above 33C. I think anyone can adapt with time, but expect 2 years or more.
digbyg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby loganator » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 8:56 pm

The best temp I've found is high teens for productivity and minimal water consumption. However I've hiked in 50+ for training purposes. Just have to be hydrated and very keen. It ain't pleasant. On the other end of the spectrum I've done single digits often in the morning. Takes a bit to get going but you warm up. Gotta remember why your out there. Is it training or pleasure?
Nothing is going to stop me,
Even if my body falls broken
My mind and spirit shall carry me on
loganator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby puredingo » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 6:56 am

Acclimating is the key for me. If I get up in the cool of the morning and walk all day temps around the 30's are managable...not exactly enjoyable but managable. BUT I've had times where I had start a walk around lunch time in summer and jumping out of an aircon car and trudging off at pace ends in misery.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 5:32 pm

Very high humidity tends to kill me over 35 C.
I remember coming out of Wollemi one time, walking 100 m uphill then resting in what shade we could find for 5 minutes. Repeat. Ran out of water - bit of a problem. Last water point had failed.
Got in to Rylestone and milkbar for the obvious. Lady there said it was 40 C in her husband's barn at 6 pm. Yeah, hot.

Cold on the other hand - don't mind down to -20 C as we have the clothing for that. Don't think we have been lower.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:15 am

Is there a hard threshold? When temp goes above 25, motivation starts to go downhill but balanced by location and objectives.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion