Hiking in the rain

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Hiking in the rain

Postby Neo » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 3:25 pm

Spent several hours looking into leechs and leech-proof socks. They do make them. Easy to get in Malaysian Borneo and one maker in Australia.
They are a close weave cotton the shape of a Santa stocking, calf high with a string or elastic at the top. MYO.
Other options to try are knee high stockings or compression socks as an extra layer to block them.

So you tuck your trousers into your socks, these go over the top then put on your shoes and gaiters.
Theory is the weave is too small for them to wriggle through or to latch on through. Gives you time to find them and they may just gather in your shoe.

Alternatively/ additionally you can slather on DEET or use eucalyptus oil, tobacco dilution or tiger balm.

Most leeches here are land based. They sense vibrations and body heat and come marching on. Some hang out on foliage waiting for a passer by.

First aid is to apply pressure, it make take a few hours until your blood clots. Importantly if you get one in your eye do not remove it as you can damage the eye. Wait until it has finished and lets go.

Methods for removal are don't worry about it just wait, scrape off with a thin card or rub and roll them off. Using poison spray, salt or pulling can cause the leach to spew first, increasing the chance of bacteria from its stomach or of mouth parts being left in you.

The initial blood flow can help cleanse the wound. Leeches don't carry viruses.

'yes officer, those are my stockings in the glovebox'
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby skibug » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi everyone,

One trick I learnt from a farmer years ago is to apply a strip of tropical strength insect repellant all the way around the top few cm of your boot, and the adjacent few cm of your sock - most leeches attack by climbing up the shoe, but give up, before getting to skin, once they hit the repellant. I have seen this work very well in groups, with some getting many leeches and others (with repellant) none.

You may reduce humidity and clamminess inside a tent by burning a tea-light candle through the night - the extra warmth increases the drive of water vapour to the outside. Obviously, position the candle carefully - best in the vestibule - and preferably encase it, in case it is knocked over - like surrounding with aluminium foil.

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 12:50 am

dingelberry wrote:nothting better than sitting in a dry warm tent with a cup of fine malt scotch ( Purley to keep cold out. good survival practice )

Lest someone reads this and believes it (lack of emoticons etc.) I say "No, it is most definitely not good survival practice."
Drinking alcohol can make hypothermic situations much worse and really has no place in an activity that involves placing yourself in remote locations, in the context of this thread under sustained rainfall, and on foot.

A bit of bòoze wont kill you unless the situation is extreme. A malt, dark chocolate, big muga of tea works a treat. And I agree industrial drinking isnt the best. (Do as i say not how I do) .

A micro fibre towel is light not only to dry yourself but the inards of jackets etc. Dry socks for bed.)
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 8:32 pm

I reckon it is well worth getting comfortable walking in the rain.

Thinking back, all my favourite walks have had lots of wet weather - i think it adds to the atmospherics.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Neo » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 3:20 pm

Went looking to get rained on today to test some things and did the walks around Diamond Head.

I can vouch for the garbage bag rain kilt. Don't get the house branded green ones they are stiff and really noisy. The Multix orange one worked well. 120cm long so I cut off 30cm at the bottom which covered the top of the gaiters. Wide enough except for the biggest of strides and the excess around the waist bunches up neatly. Overlapped the back of my jacket under the waist belt.

Plenty of rain. Slowly wicked moisture up the socks and down from my torso but under the bag was dry. Have confirmed for myself a rain kilt is a convenient choice and that the US cuben models are not big enough. Three for $3.25

(also recently tried the half leg pantyhose thoery for leeches but haven't been deep enough into their territory)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion