Learning to navigate on your own

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Learning to navigate on your own

Postby Neo » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi
I should learn to navigate with a map and compass. Is this a good start and source of paper topos? The 'Map reading guide'
https://www.mapshop.com.au/ess/shop.php ... ing+Guides

Also considering joining the local NPW NSW walking group for some off track experience. At some point this year.

I have an eTrex 30x with the Aus & NZ card. Main reason was to be able to mark a waypoint to navigate back to which I've figured out. Mostly used to see how far I've walked.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Learning to navigate on your own

Postby keithy » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 9:23 pm

I have a few great pages saved on my bookmarks on my old PC.

Off the top of my head though, this is a great page done by Ashley Burke (Syd Uni Bushwalkers). I think he also still does navigation weekends if you join up.

Check out his page on http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/N ... ntents.htm

And https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites ... assuse.htm

There are also some good PDFs and video guides out there:
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... gation.pdf
http://mbw.org.au/downloads/Information ... 6-2012.pdf
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2 ... compass-2/
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/down ... ooklet.pdf

I think there's been a few threads here in the past as well.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks keithy 'off the top of my head' that lot will keep me busy!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:25 am

Neo,

If you get the Geoscience Australia guide try and get a printed copy as it comes with a romer which can be very handy. Also, Tasmap publish a Map Reading Handbook which is very good IMHO.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whitefang » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:06 pm

I have 'The Essential Wilderness Navigator 2nd ed.' by David Seidman. I found it really helpful.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby neilmny » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 3:45 pm

Nice links Keithy
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi have ordered a Byabarra topo 1:25000 that covers some state forest and a small national park. All within view/walk of a nearby town so thought it will be a good place to practice. Also the Geo guide with roamer and a guide to walks in the Warrumbungles from Mapshop.

As for a compass how about the Silva Ranger or the Suunto A30? Their smaller ones are the Field or A10. I'm guessing I'll just be learning to go from point A to B or C. Any votes?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whitefang » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 6:48 pm

I have the Suunto A-10. No frills and it works.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby neilmny » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 6:53 am

Neo, make sure you get a southern hemisphere compass or global needle compass. The northern hemisphere units are pretty useless down here.
My own compass is - Silva Expedition 4 Compass MS (southern hemisphere)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 7:05 am

I think I'll go for just Southern. Have asked a couple of retailers to confirm if their models have metric only base plates. Their description vs product image is not clear. Cheers.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 7:16 am

Neo wrote:I think I'll go for just Southern. Have asked a couple of retailers to confirm if their models have metric only base plates. Their description vs product image is not clear. Cheers.

Not sure what you mean by metric only baseplates?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 7:31 am

The rulers around the edges. The Suunto images used seem to have cm/mm on one side and inch graduations on the other two. With scales written as 1:20000/50/63xxxx where as the official site has lots of models for north, south, global, metric, imperial, combo. Think the Silva are just mm.

Would bug me like a tape measure that has inches but I work in mm. I've picked up that on a map 1mm=25m, 50m etc (?)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 7:48 am

I don't think any have combined mm and inch into one scale. My compass has both but they are seperate scales and the mm one is the "major" scale.
Simlar to this https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/w ... -names.jpg (ignore the red numbers as the legend didn't come with the picture link)
If your compass has romer scales you just choose the scale that matches your map scale.

A compass with romer scales is preferable in my opinion as you can relate your map to GPS position more accurately.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks for the clarification I'd mistaken the gradients.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 10:09 am

I've found that a mirror compass is best for getting bearings. My Silva 15T is 36 years old, and has a long base, which seems to be closest to the Expedition S, $128. If the Expedition S lasts as long as mine it will cost a staggering $4/year.

While reading books is good, the best way to learn to navigate is to go bush. Start with easy tracks, then harder tracks, then a small off-track, and keep going. A GPS should be a backup to good navigation skills with map and compass.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Neo » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 4:09 pm

Have ordered an A30 SH metric from Prospectors to get me going. Think the Geoscience guide will come with a little plastic roamer. Reading an old thread some of the Silvas have a roamer but most of the Suuntos don't.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tomh » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 7:42 am

There appears to be an aspect of the GPS and/or map + compass discussion that needs to be considered.
Using satnav 'switches off' parts of the brain, study suggests
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/21/all-mapped-out-using-satnav-switches-off-parts-of-the-brain-study-suggests-navigation
i.e. keep using those maps and compasses
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 8:28 am

Agree with Lophophaps that the best way to learn to navigate is to get out and do it.

I tend to use map to ground most of the time with map & compass when required.
GPS is to confirm where I am (and even then I always check with map to ground if I can).
The other main use for GPS is to quickly see how far it is to the next campsite!
They're also great if you're caching food or dropping your packs for a side trip to ensure you find them again.
ChrisJHC

Postby Neo » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 9:44 am

Agree with all of the above. Using technology can be in one eyeball and out the other without firing up the brain.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 2:02 pm

tomh wrote:There appears to be an aspect of the GPS and/or map + compass discussion that needs to be considered.
Using satnav 'switches off' parts of the brain, study suggests
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/21/all-mapped-out-using-satnav-switches-off-parts-of-the-brain-study-suggests-navigation
i.e. keep using those maps and compasses

Bear in mind that that article (and the ones referred to within) focus more on the auto navigation aspects of a GPS Satnav, like those used in vehicles when driving. i.e. those that automatically prepare a route for you once you enter a destination and use a voice prompt to direct you to your destination.

The majority of mistakes referred to in those articles are still those derived from user error - people entering wrong addresses (eg. that lady from Brussells who ended up in Croatia after not checking the address entered), or people not paying attention to physical road attributes and relying purely on the GPS's voice instructions.

With regard to bushwalking/hiking GPS, there is usually no "auto routing" capability. On entering a coordinate, the GPS will usually provide you with a straight-line, "as the crow" flies route. To follow a trail, you will need to enter the various waypoints manually. So any mistakes made would be again user error, and the same thing can happen with paper maps if you don't check your planning.

Remember, that if you have topo maps on a GPS or smartphone/tablet, these are just digital maps. Even if you turned off the devices GPS, they will still act as digital maps.

When I have walked in unfamiliar areas, I will check my digital maps against paper maps to see if there are any differences. Typically if I have purchased digital maps from State Land authorities there are no differences. In cases where I have used OSM maps, I have mostly found the digital maps concur with physical maps. The benefit of OSM maps is that some will have existing tracks or logging trails marked on them as well.

Neo - Did you pop over and look at ashley burke's website? http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/navigation.html You could email him and see if he is still running navigation weekends.

But definitely get out there and give it a go with your GPS as a backup. The Suunto A10 compass should be fine. I had the M3 Global which I lost on a walk last year and not replaced yet. An orienteering mirror compass like what Lophophaps recommended can be easier to navigate with but a good baseplate compass is a good start.

An important thing to remember - make sure your GPS's datum corresponds with your paper maps datum so that you are comparing "like for like" coordinates. If you have the GPS's topo maps enabled, always check the destination is the same as the intended destination on the paper maps.

------

As a side note, I love using Satnav GPS in cars and I would not go back to paper maps while driving. I recall back in the days before widely available GPS, in my first job I had to inspect various properties around Metro Melbourne and in country Victoria. Driving to unfamiliar sites with a Melway book map and the VicRoads country maps on my passenger seat or on my lap is something I never want to do again. The country maps in particular, were woefully lacking in detail, and I had to pull over and do u-turns several times!
Last edited by keithy on Wed 22 Mar, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keithy

Postby Neo » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 2:19 pm

The link won't let me in.
I got the A30. Differece to the A10 is being normal length, a magnifier, a circle and triangle for marking and glow in the dark (if I need that I've miscalculated!). Prospectors was able to confirm their baseplates were metric only whereas Wildearth said they were both(?). Postage was $13 though.
The removeable lanyard clip doesn't feel very trustworthy.
Yet to sit down to study then go practice. The local NPA are doing a walk in the same area soon so hopefully join in on that too.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 2:32 pm

Neo wrote:The link won't let me in.

My bad. I had a typo in the address. Should be http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/navigation.html

Oops I misread which one you had. Ah yes, the A30 should be in metric for the SH version. My M3 Global had both metric and imperial measurements. But I recall the A10 NH I saw had only imperial.
keithy

Postby Neo » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks keithy I have it as an open tab and on my reading/to do list.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Redtail » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 5:18 pm

Everything you need to know ...

The Ultimate Navigation Manual
http://www.harpercollins.com.au/9780007424610/

"All the techniques you need to become an expert navigator.
The Ultimate Navigation Manual is a unique guide to finding your way on land – from the basic principles right up to the advanced technology of GPS. Designed to allow even the absolute beginner to find their way anywhere in the world, it also develops a unique confidence in navigation – with or without technical aids."

I would think you'll find it at most bookstores, or good ole [url]booko.com.au[/url]
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby ribuck » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:33 am

keithy wrote:With regard to bushwalking/hiking GPS, there is usually no "auto routing" capability.

The Osmand app can do this. Just for a laugh, I programmed it up for a recent trip through the Wild Dogs mountains. I thought it was hilarious the way the Sat-Nav voice was giving me advance directions like "In a hundred metres, turn right onto Breakfast Creek Track". Couldn't stop laughing!
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:51 am

keithy wrote:My bad. I had a typo in the address. Should be http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/navigation.html

Just note that section
6.2 Map Grid and Quoting a Grid Reference
isn't right - a grid reference is for a square with the bottom left corner at the point given by the reference (not the middle of the square)
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 29 Mar, 2017 8:38 pm

Just found this very detailed guide: http://www.johnevans.id.au/Pages/Map%20 ... gation.pdf
It's a little old (GDA84 had just come in) but very comprehensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Return to Bushwalking Discussion