Ray's Outdoors new "image"

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Ray's Outdoors new "image"

Postby warnabrother » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 4:33 pm

Walking around the local shops today, I noticed a Ray's that was still open (I thought they had all closed).. So I poked my head inside and much to my amazement they are now actually sticking some decent brands and not their generic "home brand" junk which in my opinion was partially the reason for their demise..
Patagonia, MSR, Soto to name a few.. even had a Hubba Hubba on display.. Mats from STS and Klymit too
Bought a Columbia shirt on clearance for $30 and had a chat with the lady behind the counter.
She said head office are adding more "proper" outdoor brands regularly in an effort to give themselves a point of difference to Anaconda, BCF etc which is whom they were traditionally competing against..
Good on them, hope it works out for them..
P.S. also had a great stove display with all the MSR and Soto stoves on display.. along with a full wall of spares..

Please note - I am in no way associated with Ray's or any of their employees (just thought I would mention it as some may think this is an ad)
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Ray's Outdoors new "image"

Postby oldpiscator » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 5:14 pm

Seem to be stocking some better brands but certainly no bargains in their Easter catalogue.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnabrother » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 7:15 pm

Yep.. they will find it hard to compete with Snowys and Wild Earth if they try to sell everything at RRP, however they will price match apparently..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:51 pm

I suppose my expectation of any of these stores is low.....

One of the Rays shores used to be convenient. It isn't now. I tend to buy from Cottage Manufacturers, or make my own.

But sine tines a cheapie was great - eg zip off pants.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Xplora » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 5:41 am

Here is an article which may explain why http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 7edb301e57
Ray no longer has anything to do with the business and when he had it it was a low end, weekend car camper shop full of his own Chinese manufactured 'Wild Country' brand. He was doing well in Victoria and then decided to spread out. Ray owned the building on Parramatta Road, Camperdown where Kangaroo Tent City was located. He had been a partner in that business and supplied them with product for many years. The lease ran out and he kicked them out (breaking a promise to never start up in NSW) and he opened his first store in NSW in the same building. Over the years I have been able to pick up many bargains from Rays but few in the adventure market area. It will take a bit for people to realise the new approach so they should be marketing strongly and discounting many lines. Super Retail group are huge but will dump Rays if it does not perform. Then you will see some bargains. It takes a long time for people to change their ideas about a retailer but owners expect it to happen quickly. People still think Kathmandu is an adventure store and it hasn't been for a long time.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion