Hiking in remote tribal Ethiopia - Documentary

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Hiking in remote tribal Ethiopia - Documentary

Postby Davidwilling » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 1:03 pm

Hello hikers

I've just released a doco on youtube about hiking in remote Ethiopia.

Walking With The Mursi is an adventure/travel documentary spanning four continents as David Willing hikes 500km across Ethiopia's remote Omo Valley, home of the fascinating Mursi tribes.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PUSPE_7ek8&t=4s
www.davidwilling.com.au

Documentary/ 2016/ 40 Minutes.

Synopsis

Whilst on a solo hike in the Grampians National Park in Australia, David became lost and as night fell he stumbled across an old Aboriginal rock shelter where he sought refuge. That night he became fascinated by the idea of exploring a tribal region where people still walk long distances daily for survival.

The personal, intimate and humorous documentary follows his training in the desolate highlands of Lebanon and the towering ice mountains of northern Italy before he blindly ventures into the remote Omo Valley of southern Ethiopia.

Gruelling distances, little water and no language are just the beginning of his troubles as he struggles on the daily foot commute that is walking with the Mursi.

The documentary captures a unique and rarely seen natural side of the Mursi, un-staged for foreigners. The rare footage filmed just before closures and resettlements means Walking With The Mursi may possibly be the last authentic adventure into the traditional Mursi life in the Omo Valley.

2016 Why Not Adventure Film Festival - Semi Finalist (Galway, Ireland)

2017 Mountain Film Festival - Finalist (USA)

Producer/Writer/Director/Editor: David Willing

Composer: Brenton Broadstock

Voice Over Recordist: Darren Hulcombe

Colourist: Chris Bennett

Sound Mix: Chris Bennett and Darren Hulcombe
Davidwilling
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking in remote tribal Ethiopia - Documentary

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 4:46 pm

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing your experiences and one incredibly tough track! Great to see the locals who have same emotions and curiosity as we all do, and desire for peace and happiness. A bit of a worry with that AK47 slung and pointed your way... :D

And your partner wore jeans for the whole 300km? Some here may get a heart attack hearing it.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Davidwilling » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks GPSGuided

I agree on the AK47, I thought it was a good shot (no pun intended). Was hoping he had the safety on.

Yeah Olitula had jeans and soccer jersey. He travelled really lightly, only a small pack and a water bottle, he did;'t need much as he was sleeping in hits and getting food along the way. I didn't hike with any other clothes but I needed tent etc plus filming equipment.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Dave
Davidwilling
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 4:25 pm

Did you manage to pick up some of his food collection methods, I assume 'bush tucker' style? Or was he buying from local villages?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Davidwilling » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi
I had some food on me and got eggs and tila at villages along the way. Found some fruit in one part of the valley but in the low lands it is pretty scarce and we didn't have a lot of time during the day to look for food. Would love to go back and learn more about that.
Davidwilling
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion