Finding Hiking Companions online

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Finding Hiking Companions online

Postby Suz » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 4:14 pm

Hello,

I'm just wondering whether people who've found hiking companions online (e.g. Here) have had generally negative or positive experiences?

The reason I ask is, and I'm probably too late for this year...but I'd like to do some of the more challenging hikes in SW Tassie (e.g. The Western Arthurs) and I question whether it is sane to attempt them alone...particularly when I have no experience with rock climbing / ropes (I do like a good scramble tho).

Naturally for tougher hikes it is not just about meeting someone whose company one enjoys but also their relative skill/experience.

Perhaps it is a bit daft to ask this online but I just thought I'd see if anyone had any helpful insight...is hooking up with other hikers online a positive experience or something to be avoided?
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Finding Hiking Companions online

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 6:34 pm

Not an easy question to answer.
I've talked to people on-line about meeting up and walking but never done so without first meeting in person or at a pre-arranged place with no committment to continue.
I walk mainly solo anyway
I have a standing invitation for people to join me at my winter camp at Pretty Valley and over the years very few people have done so.
How can you tell how well equipped they are and if their experience is real or fantasy?
The walking equivalent of date rape is a possibility that can't be ignored theses days I guess
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 9:07 am

I've met a few people on walks and swapped social media details to plan walks again later. Attitudes shift as a new generation is comfortable using online services to meet.

I created a facebook group called 'Bushwalking Tasmania Social Group' with this in mind, feel free to give it a shot - if you plan on meeting someone obviously do so with relevant caution.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Suz » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 9:38 am

Yeah good points moondog - normally walk alone too - may be best to walk with other women regards your latter point - and defo meet beforehand to assess gear / experience.

Thanks CN - I have joined :)
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby davidf » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 11:01 am

I have never got a bushwalking partner over the internet but if a project of interest came up i would. If I wasnt sure of my ability on the walk I would want to go on an easier walk to check things out. I have met people as climbing and packrafting partners and all experiences have worked out, some now close friends.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby PedroArvy » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 12:41 pm

Try http://www.meetup.com e.g. https://www.meetup.com/Sydney-Bushwalking-Group/

Posting random trips to search for a companion isn't that effective.
Meetup is less formal than a club and a very successful system for meeting others with your interests.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Hermione » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 6:12 pm

It's not always easy to tell who will be a suitable walking partner, even when you think you know the person quite well. I think you have to go on a walk together to really be sure, preferably a hard walk as that tends to bring out the best or worst in all of us. I have no experience with finding walking partners online, though I think the same would apply, plus I guess there is the fact that you know nothing about the person except what they've told. As the mother of two daughters I am quite distrusting.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby davidf » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 8:46 pm

My younger sister was experimenting with online dating when I went climbing with a bloke at the zawn port stephens, she was living in nelson bay, he was her age, fit, had a physics degree and a job.That night i told her she said I had picked up her dream man and I should be stalking women for affairs online at my age;):)
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bushwalking Discussion