Bushwalking books

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Bushwalking Books

Postby stepbystep » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 3:22 pm

Scored a first edition of Chapmans SW Tasmania book from the tip shop for $1 yesterday - it belonged to a B. Brown...... :shock:
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby stu » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 3:42 pm

Ah, very nice pick up indeed. :D
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tas-man » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 9:10 pm

While looking through my collection of Bushwalking related book for info for another topic, I found my copy of "The 10 Bushcraft Books" by Richard Graves, first published in 1930. It is long out of print, but here is a website where the entire contents have been OCR'd complete with illustrations. - http://www.scribd.com/doc/5042935/The-T ... ard-Graves

The introduction on the website states :

The Ten Bushcraft Books by Robert Graves .introduction The section is home to an on-line edition of a classic text that is sadly now out of print, 'The 10 Bushcraft Books' by Richard Graves. Richard Harry Graves was born 17th July, 1898 (some sources list year of birth as 1897 or 1899) in Co. Waterford, Ireland. He died 3 days before I was born, on 3rd February, 1971 in Sydney, Australia. He is credited with the authorship of several books and is formerly a Commanding Officer of the Australian Jungle Survival & Rescue Detachment on active service with the U.S.A.A.F.

'The 10 Bushcraft Books' are the seminal texts on bushcraft and this on-line edition (based on the first edition of the book set) has been released to share this unique source of knowledge. Originally written as wartime information for conducting rescue missions, the notes were later revised and prepared for a School of Bushcraft which was conducted for nearly 20 years. Almost all the quirks of the original text have been retained (illustrations by the author, inconsistent word usage, strange punctuation, etc.) although I have removed 50% of the commas (believe it or not). I have also converted all imperial measurements into metric. Each web page in this section is quite large (typically 100 to 150 Kb, including images). All large images have a 'thumbnail' place holder that can be used to access the full-size version of the image (by clicking on the thumbnail image). Use all information contained herein at your own risk. No liability of any kind for the use, or misuse, of this information will be accepted by the owner of this web site.

A PDF copy of the book can be downloaded here - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pd ... tbooks.pdf

10 BushcftBks.jpg
The dust jacket from my Dymocks 1970 edition

Anyone game to try this! :shock:

10 BushcftBks1.jpg
A sample page from Book 1.
Last edited by tas-man on Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tas-man » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 9:58 pm

Another brilliant book is "Nature is Your Guide" by Harold Gatty that I mentioned in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2067&p=60566#p60560

NatureBeYourGuide.jpg

NatureBeYourGuide_0001.jpg
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vagrom » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:32 pm

Haven't had time to read the lot so it may be here but, did a second book of the Abels ever come out that includes all peaks in the South of Tassie. The one by Wilkinson,Ferrier et al?
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby tas-man » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:56 pm

vagrom wrote:Haven't had time to read the lot so it may be here but, did a second book of the Abels ever come out that includes all peaks in the South of Tassie. The one by Wilkinson,Ferrier et al?

Tasadam is keeping his finger on the pulse, so to speak, and will be updating this information in this topic as it comes to hand. His latest info was posted here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=255&start=30#p9445
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 15 Oct, 2010 8:13 am

tas-man wrote:While looking through my collection of Bushwalking related book for info for another topic, I found my copy of "The 10 Bushcraft Books" by Richard Graves, first published in 1930. It is long out of print, but here is a website where the entire contents have been OCR'd complete with illustrations. - http://www.scribd.com/doc/5042935/The-T ... ard-Graves

The introduction on the website states :

The Ten Bushcraft Books by Robert Graves .introduction The section is home to an on-line edition of a classic text that is sadly now out of print, 'The 10 Bushcraft Books' by Richard Graves. Richard Harry Graves was born 17th July, 1898 (some sources list year of birth as 1897 or 1899) in Co. Waterford, Ireland. He died 3 days before I was born, on 3rd February, 1971 in Sydney, Australia. He is credited with the authorship of several books and is formerly a Commanding Officer of the Australian Jungle Survival & Rescue Detachment on active service with the U.S.A.A.F.

'The 10 Bushcraft Books' are the seminal texts on bushcraft and this on-line edition (based on the first edition of the book set) has been released to share this unique source of knowledge. Originally written as wartime information for conducting rescue missions, the notes were later revised and prepared for a School of Bushcraft which was conducted for nearly 20 years. Almost all the quirks of the original text have been retained (illustrations by the author, inconsistent word usage, strange punctuation, etc.) although I have removed 50% of the commas (believe it or not). I have also converted all imperial measurements into metric. Each web page in this section is quite large (typically 100 to 150 Kb, including images). All large images have a 'thumbnail' place holder that can be used to access the full-size version of the image (by clicking on the thumbnail image). Use all information contained herein at your own risk. No liability of any kind for the use, or misuse, of this information will be accepted by the owner of this web site.

A PDF copy of the book can be downloaded here - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pd ... tbooks.pdf

10 BushcftBks.jpg

Anyone game to try this! :shock:

10 BushcftBks1.jpg

Hey, I'm pretty sure my brother had that book when we were kids! I wonder if he's still got it somewhere.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Re: Book review

Postby Charlievee » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 11:36 am

red tag wrote:This may not be the correct sub-forum for this ..but anyway .

You come across interesting books at op shops .

I found one years ago : 'Three against the Wilderness' by Eric Collier. As a young man Eric fled his conservative father in the UK and thereafter spent his life in British Columbia ,Canada. He made a living fur trapping, and eventually, he became a noted conservationist - re-introducing Beavers into his local region - this was back in the 1920's to 50's ... He survived the isolation through his own sheer resource - building a log cabin he gained the sole trapping rights over a huge expanse of uninhabited wilderness. The 'three' included his Indian wife and son . He died at a relatively young age, in the mid 1960's..
Mike

[EDIT by Mod - Moved from Controversy Corner to here]

Yes, I agree - this might not be the proper spot to post, but here you go.... A very influential author for me was Colin Fletcher. He wrote the outstanding "The Complete Walker". Many people (myself included) consider Colin to be at the forefront of the modern backpacking movement. Sadly Colin passed a few years back due to complications stemming from being hit by a car. He was about 80 if I recall correctly. The doctors commented on the fact that his superb physical condition had probably saved his life. A great read - there are about 4 revisions out, if you look around you should be able to find a copy. Highly recommended. Another great read is Ray Jardine's "Trail Life". This is the new, improved version of "Beyond Backpacking". When you talk "uberlight" Ray's name soon surfaces. I don't agree with some of Ray's ideas, but that's not to say they're bad ; just a different point of view. His theories on stuff are great - he walked the AT (Adirondack trail in the USA - 2000+ miles) with about a 8.5 pound base weight. Very impressive. I had to order my copy from the US, but that's not too hard. I hope I haven't hijacked the thread - just saw a good opportunity to submit a couple of good titles. I hope it wasn't just about Tasmanian location books. Regards, CV
A man's best friend is his knife, not his dog...
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby flyfisher » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 8:56 pm

Nah, not just Tasmanian Charlievee, any interesting titles will be fine. :wink:
ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Re: Bushwalking books

Postby tasadam » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 10:17 am

I see there's a new book been released -
http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php?/we ... ilderness/

There's a book launch in Burnie on Monday at 5:30pm, details at the link.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Stibb » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 11:12 am

There’s another book launch and slide show by photographer Wolfgang Glowacki this Thursday 29th of September (tomorrow!), 6:00pm at the Baha'i Centre in Hobart

http://www.wolfgangartscapes.com/

image001.png
Stibb

Postby tas-man » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 11:16 am

tasadam wrote:I see there's a new book been released -

I have browsed through this book at Birchalls Bookstore in Launceston and dropped hints to the family that it would make a great Christmas gift ;-)
The RRP is $59.95 but Birchalls have it on sale for $49.95 at the moment.
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stepbystep » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 11:20 am

^^ditto^^ looks excellent :)
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 11:29 am

Booktopia have it for $47.95 or so but then add postage.
gayet

Postby flyfisher » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:49 pm

gayet wrote:Booktopia have it for $47.95 or so but then add postage.

And then wait and wait and wait.......
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby gayet » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 8:40 pm

flyfisher wrote:
gayet wrote:Booktopia have it for $47.95 or so but then add postage.

And then wait and wait and wait.......

I've never had any problems with delays there - other than a book not being in stock at the time I ordered - but the 'due in date' has been pretty accurate, given delivery a few days after that. We shall see this time though. I did order one. And the expected in stock date is only 3 Oct.

Postage was $6.50 for a single book so still below RRP and I don't have to find my way to a bookstore that has it in stock. Not that I'm lazy really... :oops:
gayet

Postby gayet » Wed 05 Oct, 2011 10:58 am

Was advised on 30/9 that book had been despatched - arrived in PO Box on 4/10.
Can't complain really, when expected arrival in stock was 3/10
gayet

Postby tas-man » Thu 06 Oct, 2011 12:05 am

tas-man wrote:
tasadam wrote:I see there's a new book been released -

I have browsed through this book at Birchalls Bookstore in Launceston and dropped hints to the family that it would make a great Christmas gift ;-)
The RRP is $59.95 but Birchalls have it on sale for $49.95 at the moment.

Had another browse through the book at Birchalls today, and just had to take it home with me - couldn't wait for Christmas! :lol:
P1160818.JPG
P1160818.JPG (107.86 KiB) Viewed 8399 times

P1160816.JPG
P1160816.JPG (130.21 KiB) Viewed 8399 times
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stepbystep » Fri 07 Oct, 2011 5:06 pm

Kevin Doran author of 'Federation Australia's Adventure Peak will be on ABC local radio 936 Hobart after 7PM talking about his new book 'Tasmanian Summits to Sleep On' http://www.bookendtrust.com/index.php/summits-launch

Well worth a listen I'm sure :)
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion